Do you live a lavish lifestyle?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I just bought a Nintendo DS does that count? oh and I test drove a new IS350 last night.... =0

you're on one of them :)
I figured on this one. just wondering if you're running a internet bride thing, I'm in the market. need one that is young (not to young) uneducated, does not speak english and from a far away impoverished country.

I woke up January 1st this year owning 2 sail boats, a bass boat, a ski boat, a new harley, an integra, a 4x4 jeep, a bmw, a pile of guns and tools and other expensive toys, a house full of nice furnature, etc.

Then I woke up financially. I'm down to 1 totalled sail boat, one ski boat, acura and a jeep. Still have a house full of nice furnature and own a couple of choice guns and one full set of tools. The rest has been sold.

I kept the ski boat because it is good fun in the summer and is a good excuse to get extended family/friends together on the beach for good times/bbq/skiing/bubing, etc. The sail boat is all but worthless, and I'm not about to unload it for pennies on the dollar. It'll be a project some day.

We're young, and we don't need to set such high standards for ourselves if it is done on credit. If you are young and dumb, stay out of debt, stuff some money into investments, and buy your toys with cash.. It'll go alot further than a couple of cool toys that lose value as they age.

I'd rather have a paid off house than a pimp BMW.

Last edited:
You spend more on the house than you write off.

Thats a funny thing about tax write offs.. people will spend $10,000 on needless shit for writeoffs so they don't have to pay the govt $3,000.

living lavishly is basically owning stuff you don't NEED but rather WANT.

I have a car and a motorcycle, but I don't need both. I live far from lavish at this point. but i live within my means. i'll get back to you in a couple months on this one.

I buy single ply toilet paper.

A girl that I was seeing a few months ago explained to me how she thought that two ply toilet paper was a waste of money, then we watched a "Rich and Famous" type show on TV and she thought a 10million dollar beach house was underpriced.

^ lol i take it this was a "jersey girl"?

haha nice

^ lol i take it this was a "jersey girl"?

haha nice

She's from Edison.

We wikipedia'd the average household income of my hometown, Edison, and Sparta last night.

She grew up in a 5 person family, with one of her parents being a school teacher and the other one working in the city, so she certainly didn't live lavishly.

I know what you're saying though, people from New Jersey have no idea what the outside world is like - as in there are families that take home less than $100k a year.

She's from Edison.

We wikipedia'd the average household income of my hometown, Edison, and Sparta last night.

She grew up in a 5 person family, with one of her parents being a school teacher and the other one working in the city, so she certainly didn't live lavishly.

I know what you're saying though, people from New Jersey have no idea what the outside world is like - as in there are families that take home less than $100k a year.
somehow i'm sure this is applicable. ok not really but it is funny and does reference sparta...kinda.

I buy single ply toilet paper.

A girl that I was seeing a few months ago explained to me how she thought that two ply toilet paper was a waste of money, then we watched a "Rich and Famous" type show on TV and she thought a 10million dollar beach house was underpriced.

You dated Sheryl Crow ?

I actually live the life now.

I realised at age 25, before it was too late, that I as a financial idiot. EVERY DAY since then has been a struggle towards financial success. Not wealth, just success. Living life without the crap and with more to show for my money and time.

I owned 12 cars back then. 12. And I drove them all. I had a house full of goodies, and lots of fun. It was bullshit.

Now my money plays in the bank, no where else. This week I'm meeting with a few financial experts to go over some portfolio options for insurance and investments for retirement. Getting rid of the crap like "This Vega is an investment to be had" and getting more like "when I retire at age 60, this monthly purchase of $15 will net me $1,000,000"

Because I'm sick of working and I want to take control of my life. Oh, and build a starship. which by the way, I'm applying for a JPL position.

Celerity,

The easiest savings philosophy, that nearly everyone fails at is to "save first, spend second."

By forcing yourself to save first and spend second, the money will always be there when you need it and it will help cut down on your unfruitful expenditures.

In terms of insurance, you can still make a decent investment, outside of the tax bracket, at your age but you're quickly becoming less and less insurable. 6months prior to your next birthday, you become a year older, in the eyes of an insurance company, and more expensive to insure. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but if when you say insurance as an investment you're talking about a permanent whole life insurance policy beware of the companies you invest with - some have excellent products, while others have garbage products that are just sashing around as good products.

If you are talking about whole life insurance, its also a very expensive investment up front but in future years the dividend will, according to historical trends, take off and you'll put $100/month in and make $1300/month.

Thats all speculation if thats the sort of investment you were talking about, but I work in the industry so I know a lot of the bullshit spiels that go on.

"Save first, spend second" still is worth its weight in gold, though.

Well, is this 'lavish' or an 'are you living beyond your means' thing? I mean, that's all a matter of opinion, seeing as you make things work. You aren't killing yourself to uphold an image. You're just able to spend it on what you wish. That's a luxury not many have.

My situation is identical to yours... fairly. Gaming/Electronics especially, and the house and cars. But you're not spoiled until you live like my boyfriend's mother. Now THAT is lavish. When you live lavishly, most of the time, you become a snob. I'm glad his mother isn't. :)

I live and Party like a RockStar $5.15/hr
Rent $0.10
Bills $1.35
Insurance $ Free
All in my mothers basement lol also my prositution ring pays for its self

I'm flipping all of my items this month for a whole new set of items.

Traded the macs for rifles, giving my Subaru RX4 away, getting a Subaru Brat for the winter, and now am in serious debt (They shut down my account today) for my 1986 bike restoration.

So now I have a pile of things and not a penny. Before I Did this I got a month ahead on my mortgage, and made sure that most of my finances were bumped up. I'm going for a home improvement loan. BUT I also just got word in that I forgot about a bill and now am in collections for $35. That means NO LOAN FOR ME. And I'm here, penniless.

oops.

Back