Dr. Allcome please advise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrzootsuit

ok, i have a 92 civic hatch back Si, with:
1.5 JDM D15b Vtec
matching trans out of a CRX si.
7.5 lbs AL fly wheel
stage 2 ACT clutch
17" 1000 miglia 205-40-z
2.5" tenzo R cat back exhaust
short throw shifter squat knob
NGK wires and Mancore plugs
TD05 Greddy turbo kit [@5psi]
eibach ground control coil over -2"
tokico gas struts
Modine radiator with oil cooler [oil cooler not in use, i need to get pressurised fittings manufactured]

extrior w/graphics candy paint <-you can tell what's not important here]
audio upgrade <-you can tell what's not important here]

soon adding:
energy suspension bushing kit [urathane, red]
random blow off valve from a old volvo [6-7 lbs]
intercooler of mysterious origen

future plans: complete machining of the engine
boreing, sleeving
billit rods [more boost]
titanium dished out heads [more boost]
bearings [more boost]
titanium retainers and springs [more boost]
turbo cam shaft [more boost] <- see the theme here?
knifed crankshaft
balancing, mapping, bluprinting ect [even if i don't know what i'm talking about,... my machineist does]

shaved door handles
flame thrower exhaust
hood scoop for cooling purposes

Goal: 10k rpm red line@15-20lbs boost

problem questions area i need help with:
1.] Can i convert my D15b to DOHC?
2.] to bore and sleeve or not ? what is the advantage?
3.] where do i get turbo internals for my engine?

i need all the help/ advice/ words of encouragement/ donations/ recomendations/ chocolate chip cookies [chewy only please] that i can get. i'm new to this site but damn, i was sooooooo very glad i have arrived.

Danny

to answer some of your questions....
1) no you can't make your d15 a DOHC motor...well you could but might as well buy one b/c the machine costwould be crazy!
2)sleeving would allow stronger pistons, which means more boost. Boring would allow more displacement, which means higher baseline power.
3)Many,many companys make pistons for the D-series motors.Arias-www.ariaspistons.com,JE-www.jepistons.com,Jun,etc...

hope this helped

you sure the zc head wouldnt do? or hell, if nothing else, just get a JDM zc swap, 130 ponies out of the box, can be had for 500 bucks, something to think about...

Originally posted by turntune@Oct 12 2002, 08:35 AM
to answer some of your questions....
1) no you can't make your d15 a DOHC motor...well you could but might as well buy one b/c the machine costwould be crazy!
2)sleeving would allow stronger pistons, which means more boost. Boring would allow more displacement, which means higher baseline power.
3)Many,many companys make pistons for the D-series motors.Arias-www.ariaspistons.com,JE-www.jepistons.com,Jun,etc...

hope this helped

1- no. not even a zc head... unless you are dumbly rich.
2- sleeveling does NOT allow for anything, nor a stronger piston. All it does is make the sleves able to hold more bosot with out cracking, as they are made from a better metal.
3- bore turbo stock sleeves= boom when you bore, you make the walls thinner... dumb idea for boost.
however, larger bore sleeves turbo = WOOOHSH :)

In my opinion, I say stop wastin gmoney on this motor and get a b-series.

10 grand later, you might make the same power you would on 5 grand a swap with a b-series.

sleeveing does allow for the use of some pistons that the oem sleeves will not. also like you say, allows for bigger bore sizes without sacrificing wall thickness.
and please.....
....don't knock someone down b/c they want to step outside of the box and do something different, I say go ahead and build your D-series...there are built D-series out there spankin the built B series...they are the minority, which is why it cost more to build them....So the more exposure the D gets...the more parts are made and sold by aftermarket parts companies....and besides...if you break something,it doesn't break the bank

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 15 2002, 06:20 AM
In my opinion, I say stop wastin gmoney on this motor and get a b-series.

10 grand later, you might make the same power you would on 5 grand   a swap with a b-series.

:werd:

d series is obsolete

if the D-series is obsolete...then why is it that Honda stopped making the B-series but continues the D-series saga?...D17A....and it doesn't cost 10k to build a D-series...actually it costs the around the same as a B-swap. And bye the way...with the K-series here...that makes the B obsolete!

I'm not posting all these things to ruffle feathers or hurt feelings, people come to this site seeking advice, not to be discouraged and laughed at just because they have an idea that's different....the sooner we all stop thinking one way is better than another...the better this forum becomes! offer advice...not ridicule

it's like this a new d15b costs less than the piston kit for any b series.... so cheap peppy = good... most ppl with b series don't run boost and out of those who do only a select few can keep the rubber stuck good enough to launch and as is my 205's start spinin @ 5psi with stock internals so i want a car i can drive... i'm also trying to get a Mazda 323 gtx to build [very few hondas have 4x4] or a 1st gen DSM because snow sux and the only thing worse than front wheel drive is a domestic rear wheel drive [yay fish tail]

so i guess i'm looking for efficiency -or- most bang for the buck

stay tuned

Danny

Back