Drift Clinic in Roseburg 8/20/05!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

It's a race against time to get the Z reg'd, running, and solid enough to drift.

I might not make it. I'll have to do some serious calculating tomorrow. I had no damn idea they were gonna be in Roseburg. This sucks.

At Autocross here, there was a guy that took a junkyard Z and made it so f'ing good, it was taking PAX. he did it in like, 2 days. If your Z runs - Take it. Even if the rear falls out. Show your support for a local drift, and the drift will return. I've cancelled 2 huge plans on the 20th just to be crew for the Limerock event, but it will pay off when they bring it back.

Play your part. Shit, take the Q, it's RWD.

-> Steve

EDIT: Shit, TAKE the Q... that car looks good enough to make it to magazines. Talk to your local business owners, plaster it with free sponsorship and you'll make it to a magazine, even if you don't do a great job. To get a grassroots going, it's more about the spirit than the efficiency. Efficiency and performance come later. Crowds are what drives a sporting event.

Drifting in Roseburg? 7 more weeks and me and the S14 move back to Oregon! :-D

Lemme know when you're back, maybe we can do somethin or somethin. I'm always down for meetin new peeps.

And I can't take the Q. It's not in proper mechanical condition. They say it's gotta have no fluid leaks to pass tech, and it leaks PS fluid like a motherfucker. I think I've also got an oil leak somewhere.

Plus, it's an automatic. Automatic = not conducive to drifting.

Well... a few hint's on drifting a Z...

forget about Ebrake drifts...won't happen...at least I can't do them...Rotors dont have the grab to stop the wheel strong enough to upset the traction....

power over's...you can do....but tricky....you need power first..

Clutch kicks...I still cant do those either....I guess I'm not cordinated enough to jab, rev, unjab...and slide....

the only drifting I can do in a Z is feints...weight shifting and hope I don't spin.....

your going to find that it will be a bear to drift a Z...properly...but it can be done. Just make sure your at a good speed.....feint, and the exact moment you feel the car kick out...is the exact moment you need to start flipping that non power steering rack the other way...but not too far if your going to slow for an entry speed....and not to fast if your on in incline....it's hard to explain really....hell I can't even get it good...

for the underpowered Z....I found a neat trick....on the diff...the bolts that go to the mustach bar...losen the drivers side nut.....it will give your open diff a little extra clunk...but that clunk is very usefull....it will clunk and you can hear it and it will help you know what wheel is grabbing...plus it also gives the diff an upset that transfers to the axles...and it helps the initial traction break of the tires...

And don't waste your time like it did.....Tires...

I found out that OLD tires smoke like crazy...super dry cracking side wall tires from 20-30 years ago smoke like a mofo...impressive for show...but not good for controllability....

if your out to do doughnuts and smoke like crazy...then get the oldest tire you can find...newer tires that are used can allow the ass to kick out...but it just wants to keep spinning.

I also found out that I could controll the car for a long drift with super fat tires....not skinny tire...but 265/50/15s....mounted on a 14x7 rim...they like to flex from side to side on the tire...and they actually help the car kick out from that flexing...but tires that size got expensive at $100 a tire...so I learned how it felt...I liked it, and I stopped with that tire untill I get good enough for a tire sponser to get me those tires...

Dont run used, cheap, hard, skinny tires...that's just asking for spin city.

Use a decent tire set up like I have now..a little money...but great grip, and awesome high entry speed drifts can be done... Falken Azenis RT615 on the front, and Azenis RT-215's on the back on a 14" rim...the skinny tires with grip, and fresh rubber will be super controlable...and on a hot day...the hot pavement makes the rear Azenis greese...but still controllable...

And your next consern will be the suspension...the stiffer the better...if you can somehow find another sway bar and afix it to the existing swaybars....then your golden...and the shocks need to be stiff...bo bounce...and also the springs need to be stiff....once done...it will be a kidney killing machine...but driftable...

HTH's

my uncle lives in roseburg.. If I wasn't going skydiving I would be there for support, or I'd bring the mustang.

Back