DRIFTING

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

c17r15

i've had this discussion with my friends a lot of times,

on the track, if tire wear isn't an issue,

in theory,

wouldn't drifting turns (drifting the best line) be faster than

brake - turn in - turn out - accelerate?

save time from the braking by rubbing the rear tires to slow down, while turning.

??

no, not at all.

go to an auto-x and watch the best drivers...

and while drifting is fun, its not as efficient.

Most of the time- no. Drifting is ok if you're hitting the apex just right and you slide just a little bit, that's really impressive- but most of the time you would use drifting in low traction situations like rally racing or to block out an opponent.

my previous post excludes rallying...

go karting, and you will see how drifitng is NOT fast at all. we loose a couple seconds on a 12-second tack when we mess around and drift.

Drift races are about style- not about who comes in first.

Drifting - its like watching ice skating.. lol

Hahahahaaha

Not quite as bad

I would have a lot more fun drifing than drag racing.

:lol:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 20 2002, 12:32 AM
go karting, and you will see how drifitng is NOT fast at all. we loose a couple seconds on a 12-second tack when we mess around and drift.

Drift races are about style- not about who comes in first.

Drifting - its like watching ice skating.. lol

:werd:
drifting looks f00kin sweet but its slow as hell....

get the book: "Going Faster Mastering the Art of Race Driving" its put out by the Skip Barber Racing School.... that book is the best money i have spent so far on performance (havent started actual race school yet :) )... you will learn more than you will ever need for street use in that book, and its a very good pre study guide for anyone planning to attend race school

i have a question...
if you have a FWD car and you took a hairpin turn in a way that your car slides sideways through the backside of the turn...just enough to line you up perfectly for the turn's exit, would that be considered drifting?

I don't see why not- as long as you're sliding the whole car. If you're not in control though, most people would just call that a skid or a slide.

:lol:

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 21 2002, 03:46 AM
so do extended cab dodge rams

but thats how you got a cool carbon fiber leg and phillips head screws in your head E!!! :)
j/p

I got up to the oval dirt track by my house every weekend. They run 350 small block modifieds. Those that win are the ones that can drift the best. It'ss the coolest thing to watch 40 dirt track machines go sideways in the turn at 150+ mph. I talkec to one of the top drivers last year who told me "you know you got a good line when you look out the passenger side window and see the guy in front of you"
Now thats racing!!!!

Back