ECU Problems HELP! :-S

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

86civic

86 civic B16 on its way!
hey all i have just completed a b16a1 swap into an 86 civic but it wont start :-( i bought the engine, gearbox, full car wiring loom and ECU that came from the doner and it just wont go!. im a mechanic by trade so i know what im doing when it comes to fitting and wiring etc but i dont have that much knowledge on the honda ecus.

all earths are correct and present
all lives and ign lives are correct and present
the relay module clicks with ign on and when cranking

fuel isnt a problem as its running a standalone fuel supply self fused and is running a 205lph pump

i have no spark or fuel injection so my guess is that the ECU is not switching on.

i have tested as many values as i can going in and coming out of the ecu and everything is as stated. am i missing something major here? do these ecus require every sensor to be connected before they will start as there are a few i do not have, these being

lambda sensor (planning on using an LC1 wideband)
i dont have the valves which connect to the vac system, i think they are fuel purge valves but not 100% on that. also im not sure if this engine is supposed to run an IAT sensor as i don't have the original air box and intake pipe. erm i think that's it oh sorry forgot to mention the engine itself, i have fully stripped and rebuilt the engine including new bearings headset cam-belt kit the full works, all timing marks are aligned as they should be and tensioned correctly. everything i do and check just keeps pointing back to the ecu, i cant get hold of the guy who sold me the engine as hes in the army but iv got a feeling the ecu is ok and is missing one thing from somewhere.

anyway any help would be much appreciated as i need to get it done over Christmas. i need to do some testing as its my university project and it will be receiving a turbo soon after

thanks again

do you have the fuel injector resistor box, and have you tried another distributor..

i have heard about those do you know what they look like or where they are? i havnt tried a new distributor as they cost around £150 and its abit tight at the mo. do you think it worth buying one to try?

thanks alot man

the resistor box is in the drivers side corner by the firewall. its a small silver box with heat sink fins on it and its roughly 1x2x4 in size and should have 4 or 5 red or yellow wires going to it, cant remember exactly have messed with them in a while. and the distributor I would try and find a friend to borrow one from... here a link to ebay for the resistor box...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hond...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
i can safely say i do not have this box, i take it it is essential? im going to order it straight away if they post to the uk thanks a lot i really hope it works :)

if im being honest iv got quite a few plugs im not sure where they go but i think most are for aircon abs etc thanks man i think you might have just saved my project :) one other question, other than the main relay unit and incar fuse box is there another fuse/relay box under the bonnet? i dont have one with the package i got and thought nothing of it as there are cars ogf this age without them?

thanks again

Im not sure on the 86 model but i do know that 88 or 89 and newer have one on the passenger side of the engine bay by the fire wall... take some pics of the unused plugs maybe I/we can help you figure them out and try to get the wire colors in the pic..

Back