Electric Impact Wrench (which one?)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmeg6

Hey guys! I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience using a good electric impact wrench. I'm on a budget and just need one asap for some maintenance and some suspension work. Only reason I say electric is because I can't afford or have room for a nice compressor at the moment since I stay in apartments.

Any reply is greatly appreciated!

Right on, thanks! A little pricey, but I will look into those. Would I just be wasting my time and money if I looked into some cheaper ones?

Yes. From most people, I have heard that electric impacts are a waste of money in general....but if you spend a decent amount of money it should work pretty well. Also, don't be fooled by the $60 ones that say 1000 lb*ft of torque. They don't output nearly that much, look for a quality tool and it will probably perform pretty well.

if you have 300 or so i HIGHLY suggest the MAC 1/2" 18, or maybe 19.2 volt battery impact

it is by far the best thing since sliced bread...
competes with air impacts, good battery life, amazing torque...
all around excellent gun... no cords to fuck with, highly mobile...

its fuckin sweet

mptl192iw.jpg

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Aug 4 2005, 09:03 AM
Yes. From most people, I have heard that electric impacts are a waste of money in general....but if you spend a decent amount of money it should work pretty well. Also, don't be fooled by the $60 ones that say 1000 lb*ft of torque. They don't output nearly that much, look for a quality tool and it will probably perform pretty well.
[post=535742]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with this. I've used both, and electric impact wrenches are good for making your life easier in that they'll take a nut/bolt out more quickly, but that's it. You usually have to use a breaker bar or something similar to get the nut/bolt broken in the first place.

A real impact wrench used with a compressor is infinitely more useful.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 4 2005, 01:19 PM
the MAC 1/2 inch walks circles around the snap on guns...

just my .02
[post=535820]Quoted post[/post]​

i havent used the mac one yet, have to try it out :p
I love my snap-on ones

I'll have to check some of those out and make a decision. Thanks again for the replies guys :worthy:

well unless your using this as something you'll use at the track to do some last minute adjustments, make switching wheels easier, ect, why not just spend a little more and buy a Compressor. At homedepot, they have deals all the time where if you buy a compressor, you also get some air tools with it. Sometimes a husky impact is included. I have used the husky impact and man does it make life alot eaiser. Rear suspension can be done in about the same time it takes to do an oil change.

Back