eman's EG B18C

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

^oh sweet, that is exactly what I was thinking about (if I were to try and make something)

UPDATE: 8/13/2010

Well I've been working on the swap slowly but surely. Don't know if anyone is checkin out the pics but I thought I'd post some more anyways.

I did some more engine work, trying to get it ready to drop in the EG. I got a bunch of parts from hondapartsunlimited and went to work.

First off, I needed to get the crank pulley off and get access to the timing belt. Found this sweet little tool at the local parts store. This thing saved my life since I don't have an air wrench.

IMG_0272-1.jpg

I replaced water pump, the tension pulley and spring, and also the timing belt as I was putting it all back together.

IMG_0274.jpg

Got the head off and started getting at the cams and cam gears. Everything is looking like its in pretty good shape from what I can tell.

IMG_0273.jpg

I like to take pictures as I take things apart so if I'm ever completely lost I have a reference other than the manual. I got a bunch of seals and o-rings with my parts to replace why I had it all apart.

IMG_0282.jpg

Sat the head off to the side and later cleaned it off as best as I could.

IMG_0292.jpg

Scraped off that damn intake manifold gasket (what a biatch) and inspected the head for warping before installing a new head gasket.

IMG_0295.jpg

Got it back together and installed a new Excedy OE replacement clutch before putting the transmission cover/bell housing back on.

IMG_0302.jpg

Well now time for the fun part :D .... wiring!! I yanked off the JDM engine harness. I'll use it for wires and spare connectors as needed. I transferred over the EG harness to the b18c and plugged in everything I could.

IMG_0300.jpg

Here's whats left of the JDM harness lolz. So much sticky tape :mad:

IMG_0306.jpg

Getting ready for VTEC yo! (sorry had to put that one in there) :happydance: Got the wires and connector ready for the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch. Yes this JDM engine had a pressure switch (green connector). After reading a lot of confusing and contradicting info on the net, I finally came to the conclusion that some JDM motors have the pressure switch, and others don't. I think all OBD1 engines have the pressure switch like the USDM version.

IMG_0307.jpg

The start to wiring for knock sensor and the secondary butterflies.

IMG_0308.jpg

My radiator looking super ugly and just begging for a replacement......

IMG_0309.jpg

Well this is where I stopped for now. I've been busy finishing up summer semester and now I'm going on vacation :D. When I get back I'll be getting ready to finish the wiring to the ECU and drop this sucka in!!

IMG_0310.jpg

***********************************************************************************
Well please comment and let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions and whatever!!!! Let me know if you see me doing something wrong or stupid cuz I am still a noob.

***********************************************************************************

this build is looking promising.
youre going to love that engine in there. compared to a tired ol d15b its going to be a rocketship lol

dont be discouraged at the lack of responses in the thread.
that means you are doing great.

most of the time, people will check in and read.
if you are screwing up, they'll post.

pictures are always great, keep them coming. always so much more fun to read when pics are involved.

brakes: i would do the integra rear brake conversion, and hawk pads with brembo blanks.
or, you could get the regular rotors from your local parts house that have a lifetime warranty. that way, when you fry them, take them back, lol.
but, if your going to do track days, id get the brembos.

and, before ordering those seat deletes, think about how heavy thats going to be. mdf isnt the lightest stuff in the world.

this one is made of plastic:
1992 - 1995 Civic Hatchback EG Delete Kit - Race Version [9295CHBR] - $275.00 : Welcome to K Dezines!

but i dont believe that one can support weight.

also, looking around, apparently these may not be that heavy. but, from playing with mdf myself, its heavy, so i have no actual clue.

good luck.

dont be discouraged at the lack of responses in the thread.
that means you are doing great.

most of the time, people will check in and read.
if you are screwing up, they'll post.

pictures are always great, keep them coming. always so much more fun to read when pics are involved.

brakes: i would do the integra rear brake conversion, and hawk pads with brembo blanks.
or, you could get the regular rotors from your local parts house that have a lifetime warranty. that way, when you fry them, take them back, lol.
but, if your going to do track days, id get the brembos.

and, before ordering those seat deletes, think about how heavy thats going to be. mdf isnt the lightest stuff in the world.

this one is made of plastic:
1992 - 1995 Civic Hatchback EG Delete Kit - Race Version [9295CHBR] - $275.00 : Welcome to K Dezines!

but i dont believe that one can support weight.

also, looking around, apparently these may not be that heavy. but, from playing with mdf myself, its heavy, so i have no actual clue.

good luck.

Thanks for the reply! Ya MDf is kinda dense. I haven't made up my mind but its good to know I have options as far as purchasing something. Brakes are a must coming up very soon. Looks like I need to do my homework. Junkyards around here seem to suck so I may need to dig around online to find them. I'll look into prices on the brembo and hawk components.

UPDATE !!!!! (8/29/2010) So my friends, it's getting close! I've been busy this weekend with the car (despite the fact that school started back up :( ) The formatting on the page right now is kinda acting funky so you'll have to bear with me. I left last time with a few wires hanging out and an engine ready to be dropped in. Got the wires ready to go and right about then my wife comes home from work. "What ya doin?" she says. "You're just in time," I repy, "you're going to help me get this engine dropped it!!" Now if you knew my wife you'd understand the humor in this. She is a beautician, and probably doesn't even know how to swing a hammer (no offense honey lol). Well she proved very helpful and we got the damn thing in there in only an hour or so. I think she even got a little grease under those pretty nails of hers hahaha!! Got the upper mounts in and stared in on the hoses and vacuum lines. I got the axles and shifter linkage in to place. Put the lower fork back on as well as the axle end spindle nut. Then came the first moment of truth. Did I get the damn clutch and shifter fork back in place right when changed the clutch?? I crossed my fingers as I stepped into the car and attempted to shift the transmission. It works!! Now on to the the lower engine damping mounts and throttle cable.
IMG_0253_.jpg
IMG_0255_.jpg
IMG_0259_.jpg
IMG_0262_.jpg
IMG_0268_.jpg
IMG_0267_.jpg

veddy nice! since you still have to tackle the wiring why don't you do a wire tuck?

Would look wayyyy cleaner. thanks to Andrews help it took 1 day. or 2 :lol:

veddy nice! since you still have to tackle the wiring why don't you do a wire tuck?

Would look wayyyy cleaner. thanks to Andrews help it took 1 day. or 2 :lol:

That would be very nice...... I'd have to look in to it a bit more before I tackled it. Sounds like a good project though. If everything goes well I'll try to start it up this week end.

So I broke the oil pressure switch next to VTEC solenoid (green connector) while lowering the engine in the car. I can post a pic later if necessary. So am I just going to have to spend the big bucks on a new one, or can I find a replacement off of something different or a different more common part (what I'm trying to say is will I find this same type of switch on a non-VTEC honda motor)??? See, the junk yards around here tend to suck. If/when I do find a civic or integra, the thing is completely stripped of anything useful. So I really doubt Im just going to stumble across another b18c engine with an oil pressure switch to steal. What are your suggestions????

Last edited:
APDATE!! 9/4/2010

^Well I ordered the oil pressure switch off ebay. I can put the on i have on, it's just going to slide off eventually.

Car is up and running!!!! Everything seems pretty good. VTEC hit nicely. I do have one check engine code so far that came on after about 15 min of driving:

10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON DIAGNOSING??

So I'm currently figuring that one out as well as trying to get my hands on a catalytic converter so a muffler shop can fix my loud exhaust. Running straight headers down the road makes a scene lol! I plan on replacing the entire exhuast, but not quite yet.

Got the intake put in:

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0270_.jpg

Back