Engine Swap For A 95 Civic Ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhino15_98

I was wondering it seems like everyone asks this question but I got a 95 civic ex and it is ok, But I want more and I want to do it right because this is my daily driver. I was wondering what engine would be the best to dump in there I have been looking a lot at the b16a it seems nice but I want to know will there be a huge difference if I dump that into my car, in other words is it worth the money? Should I possibly go with the b18c? how big of a difference is there between the b16a and the b18c except for 10 hp? Please help I would be looking at supercharging it in a couple years but I want an engine that makes me feel like I got my money out of it before I put in a supercharger please help

The displacment of the B18C is a very noticable difference.A B16 is no slouch though.When I swapped motors it was night and day,of course I went from a D15Z1 to a B16,Your going from a D16Z6 in a coupe.So IMO you'd like the B18C better.

B16 on these boards has a B16 swap (duh).

I have the same car that you do, and his car was like night and day.

He has a 6th gen with a B16 and that shit hits the ground running.
Usable power up to 9000 rpms.. christ.

save your money and get a b18c, you'll be happier in the long run. b16 is good, don't get me wrong. but gsr has more usable torque and 10 more hp then the b16 does, peace!

Originally posted by ekPhred@Feb 13 2003, 06:30 PM
save your money and get a b18c, you'll be happier in the long run. b16 is good, don't get me wrong. but gsr has more usable torque and 10 more hp then the b16 does, peace!

Oh yea.

If / When I start my swap it will definatly be an LS.

1.8 > 1.6 Do the math heh. No replacement right? That extra .2 litres with a bore to 2.0 will be very much faster than a 1.6.

And if you want to bore a 1.6, why not just buy a 1.8 and save some money.

I'm pretty convinced on the LS/T idea for a swap that is still streetable but is going to lay the smack down on the kiddies with coffee can mufflers and bling blingin blitz body kits.

The swap complete won't be cheap though. When you think swap you also need to think suspension, valvetrain, turbo?, wheels and tires, pistons and rods (or stroker kit)... if you're going to do it, you better have a lot of money to do it right.

I have a 95 Civic Ex coupe as well and I'm putting a H22 in mine but my car is more for drag, not really for autox or road racing. If I was going to swap a B-series motor I would definately go with the B18C1 because of the better torque numbers. Regardless of which engine you go with there will be a huge difference between your D16Z6 and the B-series you end up going with.

word up on building it right hexen? do you have the ls right now or do you plan on buying it then turboing it? you doing this anytime in the future?? just wondering, peace!

Originally posted by ekPhred@Feb 13 2003, 07:06 PM
word up on building it right hexen? do you have the ls right now or do you plan on buying it then turboing it? you doing this anytime in the future?? just wondering, peace!

I have the money... but building it and not having my comuter car right for a couple days would be disabilitating.

This is what I have writen in my little notepad in the "my controls" section.

Honda 1.8l (B18b) Non-V-tec

Engine: $1200~$1500 Complete Swap

Top End:
$1100.00 Bored and Sleeved to 84mm (81mm stock.)
$401.98 Crower Stage2 Turbo Cams
$326.57 Crower Spring & Retainer Combo Kit
$126.98 Crower Adjustable CamGears (each)
$271.26 Crower Intake & Exhaust Valves (16 pc.)

Bottom End:
$677.90 Crower Rods
$438.00 Crower 8.5 or 9.1 CR Pistons by SRP (84mm)

Bolt Ons:
Turbo Kit ($3000 )
Intake (?)
Exhuast (?)
Intake Manifold & TB (?)
Fuel Rail & Injectors (?)
Header (?)

Misc:
Suspension: Tein SS? w/ Pillow Mounts ($1100)
Wheels: 17" Rota Sub-Zero's ($550)
Tires: (?)

$2299.00 Crower Stroker Kit
Includes:
Crankshaft
Rods
Pistons (9.1cr) @ 81 - 84 mm
(all pins, rings, locks & spacers included with Piston kits)

Oh yea.

I forgot to mention, my car is an Auto.
So I would have to sell it and buy a manual before any of this :p

Thats if it gets done.
I could do all of that and have a great sense of accomplishment that will never pass smog in California.
Or buy a better car :p

nice setup that you're going to run! but yea, i would get a manual if you're going to do all that stuff. good luck on your project and keep us all updated, peace!

just bought a 93 EX on wednesday, was bout to post but saw this post.

What would be faster my ex with a gsr or LS vtec????
because i can get a complete LS VTEC swap for $1000. (good price???)
Also would i be able to use my EX tranny with the ls motor and would it be faster if i did?????

-SPORTAY24TAY-
The LS/VTEC will definately whoop some ass cuz you got low end torque and top end VTEC power(more than a GSR). I have seen dyno numbers of some LS/VTECs putting down 180hp at the wheels. If you can jump on one for $1000 I say go for it. That's a hell of a deal.
The tranny from your EG will not fit onto any B-series motor.
Check to see which tranny you're going to get with the swap, if you're getting the LS tranny you should swap it out for a GSR tranny.
A word of caution about the LS/VTEC, be careful when you are revving it high because of oiling issues(this issue can be fixed by simply using a GSR oil pump) and there was something I read about the sleeve build up on the LS block where it caused excesive rubbing or something or other... :huh: ...do research on it. I was thinking about going with the frankenstein but a few things I read when I was doing my research made me shy away from it. But you can't beat that price you're getting it for.

as long as you build up the bottom end with pistons, rings and all that stuff, you should be fine and have an dope daily driven hybrid.

good luck! :)

Originally posted by sportay24tay Posted on Feb 14 2003@ 08:47 PM
just bought a 93 EX on wednesday, was bout to post but saw this post.

What would be faster my ex with a gsr or LS vtec????
because i can get a complete LS VTEC swap for $1000. (good price???)
Also would i be able to use my EX tranny with the ls motor and would it be faster if i did?????
It is always better to start your own topic.One reason the ls/vtec may be so cheap is it isn't built right.Check it out before you buy it.Research it so you know what a properly built one should look like.

thanks guys
also would it faster if the car a b18c1 transmission or a b16a sir1/Sir2???
i heard that a sir1 tranny wont work because of something about the linkage, is that true??

Originally posted by sportay24tay@Feb 15 2003, 09:29 PM
thanks guys
also would it faster if the car a b18c1 transmission or a b16a sir1/Sir2???
i heard that a sir1 tranny wont work because of something about the linkage, is that true??

Your not understanding the whole "strat your own post to get better answers" thing are you?

BTW it has shit to do with the linkage it has to do with your car having a hydraulic tranny and the siR I coming with a cable,not to mention your car is OBD I and the siR I is OBD 0.The GSR and ITR tranny's are better than the B16's.

And no you can't use your tranny on a B series motor.It is a D series and they don't bolt up.

I have the money... but building it and not having my comuter car right for a couple days would be disabilitating.

This is what I have writen in my little notepad in the "my controls" section.

Honda 1.8l (B18b) Non-V-tec

Engine: $1200~$1500 Complete Swap

Top End:
$1100.00 Bored and Sleeved to 84mm (81mm stock.)
$401.98 Crower Stage2 Turbo Cams
$326.57 Crower Spring & Retainer Combo Kit
$126.98 Crower Adjustable CamGears (each)
$271.26 Crower Intake & Exhaust Valves (16 pc.)

Bottom End:
$677.90 Crower Rods
$438.00 Crower 8.5 or 9.1 CR Pistons by SRP (84mm)

Bolt Ons:
Turbo Kit ($3000 )
Intake (?)
Exhuast (?)
Intake Manifold & TB (?)
Fuel Rail & Injectors (?)
Header (?)

Misc:
Suspension: Tein SS? w/ Pillow Mounts ($1100)
Wheels: 17" Rota Sub-Zero's ($550)
Tires: (?)

$2299.00 Crower Stroker Kit
Includes:
Crankshaft
Rods
Pistons (9.1cr) @ 81 - 84 mm
(all pins, rings, locks & spacers included with Piston kits)
Can you please tell me how you came about these numbers? you must have found a place to do all that work huh? I have 95 Civic EX too and want a b16 (second gen) on it but cant find a place to do it....nor would i know how to purchase all this meterial. I know. im a noob when it comes to cars but i have a good job and would like to do a great deal to it. Its 5 speed manual of course but theres no power steering...(i dont mind) and NO cruiz control...(I NEED THAT!) should i sell it and just get a different car? i REALLY like my little honda and its pretty dependable. any help id apreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back