f22/h22 hybrid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey, i have a 1991 accord lx with a nonvtec sohc 2.2 liter engine, is it possible to bolt on a dohc vtec head from a 2.2 liter h22 , if possible is it worth the trouble and will i really see an increase in power any help greatly appreciated thanx

If it is possible, it would not be cost effective unless you already have the H22 head. You would have to buy then entire H22 to get the head and at that point you might as wel just swap the H22 in. Besides the internals of the H22 are stronger, the compression is higher, ect.

lsvtec is right, just swap the whole damn motor. Better block internals and tranny.

i always thought that the sohc blocks werent wide enough to bolt a dohc head on one, i could be wrong.

I think that it is possible, but why?

Not always, but in this case, the F22 block will indeed hold the H22 head. But it's a question of why bother. The only time mating an F-series to an H-series would be worth it is in the case of the later-year F23 engines, to get the extra tenth of a liter displacement.

I've done it. I wouldn't do it again.

Yes it can be done. I have it done on my 96 accord. However, I have been thoroughly annoyed by the fact that since the h22 head is wider than the f22 block the outside of the oil return holes on the front and back of the block don't line up. If you want to see this exactly, go buy an f22 and h22 head gaskets and line them up. Besides the fact that you have to put about an 1 1/2" of JB Weld in the outer return holes near the timing belt to make it work at all without dumping oil down your block.
With an f22 head gasket, the engine leaks about a quart every two months. Not too much but annoying. Here is what else I had to change:
--I had to buy an h22 main crank timing belt sprocket ($50) and water pump and take the pulley off of the new water pump and press it on the old f22 pump (h22 sprocket on f22 pump)
--added length to the Intake Air Temp wire (about 12") because it is in another location on the h22 intake
--used the f22 Throttle body (I am turbocharged)
--bought the h22 timing belt
--had to jimmy-rig my power steering holder with only 2 bolts instead of 3
--And I still have a P1382 code because the h22 dizzy has a bad mag. sensor in it. To replace the sensor, I have to buy a new dizzy.

After all of this, it still leaks oil. So. My advice. Unless you want to be in a shop for a year and a half messing with this pain in the A**, don't do it.

I would just dump the entire motor if I hadn't just bored it out and put in toga rods and arias low compression (8.0/1) pistons. If anyone has a nice f22 head they want to trade for a h22 head with ferrara racing stanless steel valves, PM me.

from what ive been reading around here...and im new around here...that u can take an h23a head and run it no problems on the f22a block...essentially its the exact same thing as the actual f22b(DOHC) motor from what i understand.

only thing that confuses me is why an h23 head will work on an f22 block but the h22vtec head doesnt...yet you can take a h22vtec head and put it on an h23 block. how does that work?

hey, i have a 1991 accord lx with a nonvtec sohc 2.2 liter engine, is it possible to bolt on a dohc vtec head from a 2.2 liter h22 , if possible is it worth the trouble and will i really see an increase in power any help greatly appreciated thanx

Yes its possible, not practical though. You can swap the F22b DOCH head if you can find on. You can also use H23 parts on your Sohc to bump up the power a bit.

Back