Finally Done!!! Need advice for the next step.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

leonc

After two months of being in the shop my car is finally done. I personally put a b16a sir II motor in my 94 civic ex. After i got it in it was slower than my d16z6. I took it into a shop and they put a new timing belt on it and AEM adjustable cam gears. They timed it perfectly. Me and the mechanic took it for a spin around the parking lot. It was still really slow. When we pulled back into the shop the transmission wouldn't go into gear anymore. So i left it there. They took the tranny off and inspected it.

Ok here is my dumbass moment, i know most of you have had one of these before. When I installed the new clutch when the motor was out of the car, I totally overlooked the pilot bearing. So the clutch was totally destroyed. They put a new clutch in and then we drove it again and it STILL WAS SLOW. Now i'm thinking my dumbass moment destoryed the transmission. Well it sat there for a couple of weeks due to $$$. I took it back and they finally figured out that

1) I needed a new fuel pump
2) The fuel regulator that came with the motor was a SOHC (thats what the shop told me).

They replaced both of those and it runs amazing now.
so pretty much the whole problem for it being slow wasn't with the motor it was just the fuel pump and regulator.

The whole project ended up costing around $5000. I know that alot but I learned so much by putting the motor in myself and definetly learned from the mistakes I made. I dont regret it one bit.

I know someone on here will be a dick but i am glad i made the mistake becuase I think we learn best from the mistakes we make.

Now i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on a exhuast system. I am going to go turbo so I would like to purchase a 3inch system. Any suggestions on specific systems? Would like it to be quite.

Any advice on which turbo kit? Its a daily drive so I don't need anything too radical.

Thats for all the advice that you gave me during my swap.

Leon

Go to a good muffler shop and have one bent-up custom... Probably the route you will have to go with turbo anyway...

turbo do you want a custom or kit? kit I would just buy a greddy kit...but its way cheaper to make your own do some research on turbos and what not.....ummm other then that nice finish! im glad you got it done THE RIGHT WAY :p thats a little to pricy for my blood though lol

I'm using a CX pump, filter and regulator.

Then it was probally just my fuel pump going bad.

Go to a good muffler shop and have one bent-up custom... Probably the route you will have to go with turbo anyway...

If i went that route, what muffler would you suggest?

Originally posted by CiViC_SOHC@Aug 19 2005, 12:45 PM
turbo do you want a custom or kit? kit I would just buy a greddy kit...but its way cheaper to make your own do some research on turbos and what not.....ummm other then that nice finish! im glad you got it done THE RIGHT WAY  :p  thats a little to pricy for my blood though lol
[post=542466]Quoted post[/post]​

I glad its done also, I just got a job with NASA so i have alittle more income than i did in college, lol

As far as a turbo, i don't really no much about building my own kit but i plan on doing alot of research. What do you think of the drag turbo kits? Also how much boost is safe for a daily driver b16a?

Originally posted by leonc+Aug 19 2005, 01:02 PM-->
I'm using a CX pump, filter and regulator.

Then it was probally just my fuel pump going bad.

If i went that route, what muffler would you suggest?

CiViC_SOHC
@Aug 19 2005, 12:45 PM
turbo do you want a custom or kit? kit I would just buy a greddy kit...but its way cheaper to make your own do some research on turbos and what not.....ummm other then that nice finish! im glad you got it done THE RIGHT WAY  :p  thats a little to pricy for my blood though lol
[post=542466]Quoted post[/post]​

I glad its done also, I just got a job with NASA so i have alittle more income than i did in college, lol

As far as a turbo, i don't really no much about building my own kit but i plan on doing alot of research. What do you think of the drag turbo kits? Also how much boost is safe for a daily driver b16a?
[post=542474]Quoted post[/post]​

If you want to do it right and you want to buy a kit... I wouldnt suggest anything other than a full-race.com kit or somthing of the like. Or spend alot of time learning and make your own kit.... if i were putting a kit together i would get a precision turbo, lovefab/fullrace manifiold and down pipe. Get any given quality wastegate and blowoff valve, a nice FMIC(i would get the full-race one just because i like the way they locate the BOV on it it makes sence) Get a good engine management, ie hondata, chromepro, AEM ect... and have a someone reputeable fab up all your piping, just buy a mandrel bent 3 inch piping kit from k teller and choose whatever muffler you want. AND dont be an idiot and say imma drive it around untuned on 6psi till i can afford tuning... Get it tuned right away and dont look back... A good turbo kit on your car could create any given amounts of power between 250 - 300 whp on stock block when tuned properly or maybe more.

Thanks man, any suggestions on the muffler. Thats what I will be doing first since I have stock exhaust on my car right now.

it's going to be a waste of money to get exhaust now if you plan on going turbo in the future. you'll probably want a 3" exhaust for your turbo setup, and something that big would be rediculous on your 1.6L n/a engine. and if you get a properly sized exhaust, you're really gonna wanna replace it when you go turbo. just wait and do it all at once.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Aug 22 2005, 11:50 AM
it's going to be a waste of money to get exhaust now if you plan on going turbo in the future. you'll probably want a 3" exhaust for your turbo setup, and something that big would be rediculous on your 1.6L n/a engine. and if you get a properly sized exhaust, you're really gonna wanna replace it when you go turbo. just wait and do it all at once.
[post=543537]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Back