finding out if an engines stolen

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cycloneb18c3

Hi,
Im about to buy an engine (us spec type r) and Its pretty cheap and Im suspecting that its stolen. if it is stolen they are idiots they left the vin number on the motor. is there anywhere else that I can type in the vin number(like maybe for free) and see if its stolen, or wrecked BESIDES carfax(FREE IS FOR ME)

the plates and numbers come off easy,,,,wtih the right tools. Have known people to restamp shit also with ease.

not sure what to ask.....

I usually ask for paperwork along with the motor, call the place of business where the motor was purchased, etc.

Well, since it sounds like you want to do the right thing and NOT buy a stolen engine. Ask your local police station to run the VIN# for you. It's free, but if it's hot, be prepared to tell them where the engine it. They will protect your privacy. If you're at all uncomfortable with this suggestion, call them up on a payphone to make your request. So far, you've done nothing wrong though...

risk what? run it for sure, if it is hot, bust that guys ass... sorry, i've had my car stolen so i know what its like... fuck them if they stole it

nope, not necessarily a friend of mine got pulled over with a motor that had the serial #'s grinded and they tried to prosecute against him and ended up letting him go cause they couldn't prove anything, that and he had a receipt for the block.

anyway lets not give cycloneb18c3 any ideas except to make sure the motor isn't stolen before he buys it.

thats also sort of what Im afraid to do with carfax. i heard they can trace your computer and notify authoritys if you check out the vin number of a car thats reported stolen. so i dont want to check it and have the police show up at my house. whatever I just wont buy it because 3700 for a B18C5 is really cheap, and suspicious. although it is a good deal... I dont know what to do...

it isnt coming from a business/shop and the kid dosent have any papers.

well shit then let me know where its at and i'll buy it. what year is teh motor? my buddy paid like 3500 for a 98 so i don't think its that low of a price. so give me the info i'll buy the damn motor

its a 2000- he said it was a 97 but I looked at the date stamp on the head and it says like september of 99 so I figure time to get to US, it would be released and sold by 2000.
my friends were moving the engine and called me and asked me if I wanted to look at it. , I know him through like 2 friends, so Im not sure really where the motor is now, it was in the back of another kids truck taking it to his garage. whatever, anyone know if that thing about carfax is true?

What would the cops be able to do to you? All you're doing is checking the VIN on a car. You don't have possession of the motor so they wouldn't have anything on you.

theyd want me to tell em where its at, and to tell anyone the truth I dont know where its at. the cops wouldnt get off their lazy asses if someone was street racing in the police car parking lot. what ever lock thread delete tread.

Back