flashing or burning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

np dude,

If you haven't already been to www.pgmfi.org you should check it out. I'm not sure how much you know about the actual fuel and timing tuning process, but if you want to learn more go to www.amazon.com or check out www.bn.com or your nearest Barnes and Nobles and look for the book by Jeff Hartman called "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" (it's got a Ford Focus on the cover).

As far as the wideband goes, I said that the LM1 and M300 can be used to make sure that Crome is dosplaying the correct AFR. The reason this is important is because you have to manually setup Crome for your wideband setup. You have to correctly input the voltage to AFR conversion numbers when you set it up. If you set it wrong in Crome, then there's no way of telling for sure if your AFR's are accurate or not, unless you have a controller with it's own AFR display. But if you are going to upgrade in the future anyways, then it's no biggie. You just want to make absolutely certain you have the correct voltage to AFR conversion numbers and they are in the right place in Crome.

yeah ive been reading a bunch on PGMFI i was just confused as all.

ill look for that book tonight when i do my christmas shopping.

any good ways of setting up proper a/f and voltage in crome if my wideband doesnt have its own a/f guage? is this gonna be an issue?

this may be a really dumb question, but when you buy crome pro does it come with any kind of instructions about how it works and the options that it has in it??

Quoted post[/post]]
yeah ive been reading a bunch on PGMFI i was just confused as all.

ill look for that book tonight when i do my christmas shopping.

any good ways of setting up proper a/f and voltage in crome if my wideband doesnt have its own a/f guage? is this gonna be an issue?

this may be a really dumb question, but when you buy crome pro does it come with any kind of instructions about how it works and the options that it has in it??

According to John Cui a good AFR to voltage conversion to use is 0.5V -> 3.8V = 10AFR -> 20AFR. One thing you should know is widebands have a working range of 0-5V's. Most standalone ECU's are able to recieve the full 0-5V range from the wideband. But your Honda ECU is only has a range of 0.5-3.8V. This is important because if you are tuning and your actual AFR goes below 0.5 volts or 10 AFR OR above 3.8V or 20 AFR then the AFR will not record in your datalogger. This is one reason why the controller with AFR display can also be useful. When you are tuning you can have somebody else watch the AFR on the controller and if it goes below 10AFR they can tell you, because like I mentioned it wont be recorded on your datalogger. If you are looking at just the datalogging chart and your AFR's go below 10AFR then the missing AFR numbers in the cell will make it look like you aren't reaching your preset boost level. One way to tell if the AFR isn't being recorded is if you look on the right at the recorded information and slowly moving it forward. While you are looking at the info on the right side and all of the sudden the AFR drops to 0 while you are doing some boosted pulls then there is a good chance your AFR just went below 10. You'll still see the RPM info, coolant temp, boost pressure, but the AFR will show 0. Now there is a way to modify your ECU to read the whole 0-5V range of your wideband sensor. Check out this thread:

http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?t=5699&highlight=volts

As far as insturctions on how to use Crome, you pretty much have to figure it out on your own. AFAIK there isn;t a manual out yet. There are a lot of how-to's on the pgmfi Crome forums. All of the features have been discussed on pgmfi.org at one time or another, so you pretty much just have to search for the answers. If the feature you are wanting to use has never been discussed on pgmfi (which is unlikely) then you can e-mail John Cui and he can help you out.

Also here is a thread on how to setup the Innovate LM1 in Crome. your LC1 should be the same way cause you'll have to set it up through the LMconfig software then go into Crome and input the voltage to AFR numbers. One thing you'll probably want to post in that thread and ask whether the 0.5V equals 10AFR and the 3.8V equals 20AFR, or if it's the other way around with 0.5V equals 20AFR and 3.8V equals 10AFR. This is the part that you dont want to mess up. Because if you put the wrong numbers in your AFR's will be backwards. Also you might wanna ask what order the numbers have to be in your settings.

http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?t=5892&start=0

Holy smokes...... somebody sticky this. I plan on tunning with Crome soon and will need to find this post.

Paul, ask chris if he can upgrade his package to include the lm1 instead of the lc1. i bet it will only go up like 50 bucks or so in price. no sense in buying two units.

as for making this a sticky, i plan to write a whole article on tuning basics....

if someone else wants to write one before i get a chance to that encompasses tuning 101 for tuning noobs, start a new topic, and i'll move it to the articles section if it's a good write

Thanks, sol. Can't wait to get started on this project. I have been checking out pgmfi on and off for almost a year now and I just now feel like I know what is going on. I guess my biggest confusion has been the RTP board, now I hear that it has never worked and to use the ostrich. I like to have complete understanding of a project before I jump in. This may not be possible with something as complex as this. Oh well I plan to convert my p07 to vtec so I still have my P30 as a backup. I have gutted and remodeled my house in this last year so I have been a little short of time to devote to my civic. Down to trim in a couple of rooms then back on the car. YaaaaHooooo. Hopefully I will have something to contribute next spring.

yeah, dont bother with the rtp board. jsut use the ostrich. its way better.

thanx brian. i almost ordered right before i read your post, i asked chris how much it would be to upgrade, thanx for the tip, i didnt bother askin cause i didnt want to 'rock the boat' sorta thing! :) thanx for the help too. its time to tune biatches!!!! :p

Back