From CRV onto Rav4

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm getting rid of my wife's BMW right now. They depreciate so fast after the first 3-4 years. Initial year depreciation is BAD, then they get WORSE.

LOVE the car. Hasn't cost much to own, haven't had an issue. This one, we entered it at 20% equity and now are underwater on a 60 month subprime loan.

Really wanted the X5, but its just not a 10 year car to own. Once you hit the 70-80K you're gambling everyday. We're very comfortable, but not enough where I don't care about forking over an unforeseen 3-4K at year 4 into ownership. Next car for my wife will be one we own it for 10 years.

I was all set to get a 2018 for $3889 off MSRP between 1250 toyota cash back plus dealer discounts.
It wasn't what I really wanted but it was a good deal and reliable.
It was going to be just under $28k out the door including 8% sales tax. XLE with all weather mats, mudflaps, door guards.
Still did not have heated steering wheel, seats, or remote start.
I called to place a deposit on it but the car was already under a deal.
About a week later they called me back, buyer could not get a cosigned so it was available again. By that time I had decided to wait for the 2019.

The catch is the 2019 is going to be about $34,500 out the door with tax (based on MSRP) and is about $1800 higher than the 2018 because I want the XLE Weather and XLE convenience packages.
Heated steering wheel with windshield wiper deicer, heated seats and power lift gate.
I just can't stomach dropping 35k on a car. It doesn't provide that much value to my life, so I'm back looking for a low mileage CRV.
At least the EX has heated seats. I know I'm showing my age but when the fuck did new cars get so expensive.
My tacoma only cost 20k brand new back in 2003. Now they go for 35k ish for extended cab. That's more than I made in a full year fresh out of college. fuckkkk

I really thought I was going to be in the market for a BMW after I got licensed, but if I can't drop 35k on a toyota I have no business being in the German Luxury market.

Last edited:
lol, i also got a chuckle out of that one :D

i'm with you man. I paid 27k for my car 9.5 years ago. It's been pretty good to me, hasn't really cost me anything but brakes/tires. It's still worth about 5-6k i would guess, so if i sold it today, it's a ~20k cost for 10 years, or 2k a year. That's a 166/m lease if i kept swapping it in. aka, a versa or some econo box territory.

It's basically impossible to buy anything (new) that's 'desirable' for under 35k today.
Things i 'want' are all 45+ or RHD. lol

and then i shake my head and say, there's no way i'm paying 750 a month for a fucking camry/another mild pedestrian car here.

and herein is why everyone leases these days.

Very good point B.
Also, don't forget the down payment on the lease. I would guess 2-3k every 3 years for those econo cars. so 6-9k over the course of 10 years, brings your monthly payment on the actual lease to about 116-92 for 2k-3k down payments respectively.

Borrowed a 2015 CRV EX with 39k this weekend for a couple local trips. Overall impression is meh, its a car. Has heated seats, goes from point A to point B.
Can be peppy when you get on it but the CVT is just weird. I think I liked the Rogue CVT more, but it was a rental car and I wasn't worried about the long term effects of mashing the throttle.

Also drove the 2019 Rav4. 203hp with 8 speed auto.
It's got some get up and go. I would have to say I liked it better than the CRV but its also brand new.
Awaiting numbers on the 2019.

Have you riven a tuscon or santa fe sport? Sorento?

we drove a lot of the slightly larger class of suv's when the wife was considering moving up this summer, and honestly, the kia sorento was the best driving car and the best value prop.

we drove a ford edge, lincoln mkx (i think?), RDX, highlander, and a few others and were pretty disappointed at the 40+ price tag on all of them for what you got.
The 34k sorento was the clear winner by far.... even before we considered the price.

ultimately, she decided to just keep her '14 tucson a bit longer as a 739/m payment on a kia was something that she couldn't come to terms with.

Reality is that all these cars touching the 40s are a 7-800 a month payment with 0 down.

or, about what I paid for the M3.

That's what's hard to justify for me. a kia sorento costs the same as an m3 now. :rant:

I haven't driven Hyundai or Kia, based mostly on my assumptions on their resale value. (No actual evidence to back that up.)
I think Honda and Toyota hold their value better and have higher reliability ratings.
The Tucson took some reliability hits in 2016 and 2017 on consumer reports, rated as Worse.
I did take a look at a Kia Sportage (it was an available rental from Hertz). We actually selected that one to rent, but once we got in it we backed out and went with the Rogue again.

The Rav4 appears to be the highest rated in its class, besides the cx5.
cx5 = 81
rav4 = 78
crv = 76
sportage = 69
tucson = 67
escape 67

Leases have really killed resale values on everything. Anything 6 years old or more and is a run of the mill car are basically all worth 5-10k nowadays. Of course, dealers will mark this up and trucks seem to hold higher values longer.

before you consider the 10 year resale value,
What's the value prop on a car with a 36k warranty vs a 100k warranty?

if you can sell it for 2k more but dumped 2k into it over the course of it's life due to less warranty, it's a wash.

both are gambles.

I've leased my last 3 vehicles and I've yet to put any money down up front. I suppose it depends on your credit score but it doesn't really make sense. Those "cap cost reductions" or whatever they call them are just going towards the monthly payment. Paying $3600 up front on a 3 year lease is just reducing your payment by $100 a month. Most people don't keep a car thru the full term of the lease anyways so it's just throwing money away.

Aside from that I wouldn't get a RAV4 or a CRV. My mom is on her (I think) 4th crv and they're all about the same. The interiors are weird, the CVT transmission sucks, and they have no real personality. But I guess you could say that about most cars nowadays anyways.

I'm getting rid of my wife's BMW right now. They depreciate so fast after the first 3-4 years. Initial year depreciation is BAD, then they get WORSE.

LOVE the car. Hasn't cost much to own, haven't had an issue. This one, we entered it at 20% equity and now are underwater on a 60 month subprime loan.

Really wanted the X5, but its just not a 10 year car to own. Once you hit the 70-80K you're gambling everyday. We're very comfortable, but not enough where I don't care about forking over an unforeseen 3-4K at year 4 into ownership. Next car for my wife will be one we own it for 10 years.

This is where a solid Toyota or something with a factory warranty that can be extended to 100-125k miles. For my truck, if you shop around, you can find resellers of an actual Toyota warranty that will cost less than $1,000 for 8 years of service. I haven't checked, but I'm confident a lot of manufacturers offer similar deals.

I just can't stomach dropping 35k on a car. It doesn't provide that much value to my life, so I'm back looking for a low mileage CRV.

If you're going to buy a used CRV, you might as well get one that's under $15k. No reason to buy a $25k car when $35k gets you something brand new with a longer warranty, all the options you want, and without someone else's wear and tear on it. I had the same issue when shopping for my Tacoma. I looked at some 2014-2015, but the prices on them just didn't make sense. I don't regret for one second spending the extra $5,000 to get precisely what I wanted vs. what I would have saved buying used.

Something like this 2015 Honda CR-V LX AWD - $14,999 would be a good option. Obviously it doesn't match your specs or location, but it's a good vehicle at the right price. Only 33,500 miles on it. But when it comes down to it, I paid for reliability and getting to choose exactly what I wanted. It didn't help that the used 2016 that I bought had a few issues caused by the previous owner, but that's for another conversation.

Aside from that I wouldn't get a RAV4 or a CRV. My mom is on her (I think) 4th crv and they're all about the same. The interiors are weird, the CVT transmission sucks, and they have no real personality. But I guess you could say that about most cars nowadays anyways.

I'm not dissing your mom, but my GF has a 2007 CRV, and I think the car often matches the owner. It's safe, reliable, conservative, and likely basic af. lol

I'm not dissing your mom, but my GF has a 2007 CRV, and I think the car often matches the owner. It's safe, reliable, conservative, and likely basic af. lol

giphy.gif

Wife got a new car last week. 2019 CX-9 touring with premium. She 100% paid for it, but I drove every mid-sized suv that is made luxury and non-luxury over the course of the last year between rentals and test drives.

I did some serious horse trading and got a great deal, decent financing, and good trade. Basically had to get 20 quotes, work them down to find the ones that would play ball and then started pitting them against one another. Local mazda dealer to us treated us bad when we went in, so they ended up winning the deal to make up for it.

Been a while since I have driven one, but the CX-9 is one of my favorite large vehicles. Handles high speeds very well. Super comfortable.

Sold the Tacoma today, so now for the first time since I was 16 I have no car or motorcycle.
A far cry from my all time high of 7 or 8 vehicles at once.

Toyota incentives expire 1/2/19, so currently debating if its worth it to see if they bump up the discount on the 2018 leftovers.

So I did the thing.
Ended up getting prices from about 8 dealers.
3 were at MSRP with no wiggle room due to it being a new vehicle.
1 would do $400 under MSRP.
1 went to $400 over invoice, but then needed to charge a locate fee and $499 NJ doc fee.
1 in NY matched the $400 over invoice with no locate fee and $75 doc fee.
Albany went down to $200 over invoice but needed to get the car from another dealer.
Sent the $200 over to my local dealer, who just got the car off the truck, and they agreed to match it.

31794 MSRP - 1593 discount
30201 selling price, $75 doc, 12.50 tire tax, $10 inspection, 2416.08 tax = 32,714.58
Plus NY DMV registration and title.

Going from a 2003 CRV and 2003 Tacoma... 2nd most expensive thing I have purchased besides my house.
2019 Rav4 XLE, Silver w/ black interior.
+XLE Weather (leather wrapped heated steering wheel and heated windshield wiper de-icers),
+XLE convenience package with 8 was power drivers seat, heated front seats, audio blah blah, and power liftgate.

Back