Fully built Z6. 11:1 comp. I have a few questions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

1. What oil should I use? 20-50 Syn. blend? Full synthetic?(for break in and the rest of it's life)

2. Whats the best spark plugs to use that I can buy at Advanced auto? I think I should run 1 range colder plugs. Am I right?
Thanks

So the normal range is 8?

I think I'm going to use a little thicker oil. I was recommended by a knowledgeable friend that 2050 is good stuff. someone back me up?

So the normal range is 8?

I think I'm going to use a little thicker oil. I was recommended by a knowledgeable friend that 2050 is good stuff. someone back me up?

No normal i think is 5 or 6. with ngk 7 or 8 is colder than 5 or 6.

I agree, stick with 10w30 and you should be just fine. With that compression, you're best off running plugs 2 steps colder than the factory heat range, which would be the NGK TR7's. TR55's are factory heat range.

20-50 is way thick. I used cheapo oil for the first 500 break in miles or so. hen went to mobil-1, 10-30 full synth. Now that the motor isnt running as hot i swicthed to 5-w30.

i'm using ngk BKR6E-11 plugs from advanced auto parts. Just ask for plugs for a gsr. TYpeR'a are BKR7's.

that is all.

Last edited:
Blanco said:
You're breaking this in already tuned or on a dyno, right?
I'll be breaking it in on a basemap only. (Staying out of vtec.. no high revs)
Then after 500 mi or so I'll have my buddy(tuner) sit in the passenger seat with Crome and a wideband, and tune it exactly to my motors specs. (different senarios- highway, street, racing, etc)

I guess I'll run 10w30.

Thanks everybody.
I guess I'll go with the NGK TR7's then. Sound good and gravy?

Last edited:
I got a question guys. I got a stock B16A, can I just use regular oil? I been doing it, using plain Exxon 10w-30. but was wondering if thats good.

honestly for a good break-in with a fresh motor, this is my belief for the best outcome:

upon first startup, run for about 5 minutes, then increase RPMS to about 3000 and let it sit there for another three or four minutes. shut it off, drain the oil. fill it back up with oil, and take it out and run it for a while. don't run it too hard. get yourself a decent basemap thats safe enough to go play around in. run it hard but not too hard. change the oil again and you should be good.

Oh... ok. Just for keepsakes, does anyone agree with spoolin@idle? sounds like a decent way to do it.

Blanco, the only reason I don't take it straight to the dyno is 1. it won't be tuned(and I'm waiting to get tuned before I go), and 2. I'd rather not pay dyno fee's if it's the first run, and it blow-up or something.
I can blow it up on the street for free, but I have to pay to do it and get a stupidly-cool graph showing it... =)

I like the way spoolin's idea sounded. I'm very open minded, so if anyone wants to chime in.....

Abel-
MotoMan (link) said:
The resulting leaky rings have allowed pressure to "blow by" down into the crankcase on acceleration, and oil to "suck-up" into the combustion chamber on deceleration.

How did you break in your engine?
That could be why you have bad blowby problems!!!

Edit. Don't want to make a triple post-

motoman (link) said:
3 more words on break- in:
NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!

Use Valvoline, Halvoline, or similar 10 w 40 Petroleum Car Oil for at least
2 full days of hard racing or 1,500 miles of street riding / driving.

After that use your favorite brand of oil.

I guess that answers my oil question

Last edited:
Abel-

How did you break in your engine?
That could be why you have bad blowby problems!!!

Edit. Don't want to make a triple post-

[/color][/b]

I guess that answers my oil question

I drove it for a while staying out of vtec due to the bigger cams. i did this with the Pw0 ecu from the old setup. That way it ran just a tad lean for more oil to seap in and let the rings sit. By the way i used carquest 10-w30 oil. Again i stayed out of vtec. okkk maybe once or twice did i turn it to 7k. Not very often since it got slower in vtec. Anyway,I let my mom drive it for another 500 miles and then i changed the oil to mobil1 synthetic. Ran it for another month until i went obd1 and had Eddie tune it. Once it was tuned i beat on it like there was no tommorow. Vtec ripped the tires and i loved it.

Blowby is coming from the valve cover. The air intake is sucking it up. Its fine now since i put a baffle in between. Now i just have to figure out why my 2 day old plugs are white:ph34r: but thats another story:p .

keep up the good work andrew

Back