Fuse Burnout!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lostinmiself

That Guy....
So i have:
4G wire from batt. to amp (800w amp) I have 8G ground wire and i am running 1 MTX thunder 5500 12...my problem is recently i have ben blowin fuses like crazy. i have gone through 8 already and i have no idea of what the problem is. if anyoue might have any insite to my problem please help!!!!

I have always run the same size ground wire as I have power wire and never had a problem. I would try that. It's a cheap fix, and if it works, it will keep you from blowing up your shit.

YES run the same size ground as power.

also, double check your connections, sounds like you are shorting. way back when i had 4ga power wire run through my old mirage down the passenger side, and somehow i kinked the wire and eventually the inner frame tore through and it would short.

x3 on the same size power and ground, I was having the same problem and that was my fix.

Just out of curiosity, Why would a larger ground wire help?
Wouldn't that just make it 'short' faster?
I mean, you don't/can't short out unless you DO ground it somewhere.. And 'ground is ground'.. Doesn't the circuit blow/open when it's 'shorted' in the wrong place? or TOO much current is passed thru a conductor that is too small/thin to handle that current..?

You state "recently".. How long had it been working before the 'blowing' started?

E

jeez guys.

yes you need to have the same size wire for both ground and power. NO it wont cause you to blow fuses. What you need to tell us is what size fuse your blowing. Unless your blowing it on contact it seems to me that your using too small of a fuse. you should be using an 80amp or minimum 60amp.

Hope you put the power wire thru the firewall with a gromet or a factory one if not power wire can be grounding out ... also mtx amps are power hungry so if your not using a big enought fuse run at least 100amp you will blow also . it's always better to have to much than not enough. Mtx amps are rated low if the amp is advertised at 800w its prob pushing closer to 9 or 950 .. 4 gauge is min 2 gauge is better

Hope you put the power wire thru the firewall with a gromet or a factory one if not power wire can be grounding out ... also mtx amps are power hungry so if your not using a big enought fuse run at least 100amp you will blow also . it's always better to have to much than not enough. Mtx amps are rated low if the amp is advertised at 800w its prob pushing closer to 9 or 950 .. 4 gauge is min 2 gauge is better

You should never run a higher amp fuse than what your amp says it should take, and I dont even run an in-line fuse because you could blow every fuse in the car and have the bitch go up in flames before you blow a 100amp in-line fuse if thats what you were referring to.

You should never run a higher amp fuse than what your amp says it should take, and I dont even run an in-line fuse because you could blow every fuse in the car and have the bitch go up in flames before you blow a 100amp in-line fuse if thats what you were referring to.
very true. good call.

i didnt know there was a 2awg wire? :huh: I know there's 1/0 awg. Anyway, all mtx amps usually come with a birth sheet and yes alot of them have higher numbers than what they are rated at. Unfortunatly you might not see those number because they are peak numbers at 14.4volts or so.

every charging system is different. Alot of vehicles have a constant 13+ volt charg from the alt. It only drops with the lights and aother instruments that get used. Not only that but the battery reserve also gets used up alot fast unless you have an extra battery designed for car audio such as an Optima,Stinger or other.

We arent knocking just sharing what i think is crucial information. Especially dealing with the electrical sytstem. YOU DO NOT WANT TO PUT A BIGGER SIZE FUSE THAN WHATS RECOMMENDED.

Back