FYI: Tire Rub-O-Rama

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BlackFrog

Neighborhood Lush
VIP
just thought i would give a little heads up to people that dont have Azenis (or something silimar) and are considering getting them. If your car is pretty low and not adjustable ride height, they will rub like a bitch.

Reason being, the actual width of a 205-50-15 Azenis is actually 212mm, which makes it closer to a 215 size tire. So when you go to take off the stock rims, which dont rub at all, and put on your new Rotas with Azenis, you end up with mucho rub problemos.

If your car is super low, and not adjustable, there isnt a whole lot you can do. The easy fix, if you have coilovers, is to raise them up a bit, and if that still doesnt work, dial in some more negative camber. Just be sure to take your time, make small adjustments, and go on lots of short test drives until they dont rub anymore.

I know that everyone knows the Azenis are what i would a cheater tire, they say they are 205, but they arent. I never really thought it would make that big of a difference, but it really does. I spent the better part of 2 hours today, raising the car, pulling out rear shims, grinding off some metal, removing pieces of inner fender liner, and coming in and out of the shop about half a dozen times in order to get rid of the rub. I guess this is just kind of a heads up to those that are considering getting some Azenis...it may not be your normal rim changeover.

On the bright side, they are a great tire. Even though they arent broken in yet, they still hold like hell...i cant wait to get around some cones this year.

-Chris

The azenis own. Wait until it gets warmer out and the tires really stick. I hate cold mornings since I have limited traction uintil I warm the tires up. My azenis do not rub that much on my crx that is lowered about 1.5 inches. THe only time the do is at full lock.

ya i lowered my perches an inch and they rub when i turn the wheel to lock. nothing a baseball bat and a hammer shouldn't be able to fix. B)

:werd:

I rub on my S-03s.... 205/50/15 with those too. Who knows what I'll be scrubbing with a set of Azenis. Maybe I should pull my camber in some- I run it right at -0.6 degrees all around.

its probably your wheels. +42 is what you want. +40 will rub +45 will rub. fuck rota for being retarded.

i had 0 rubbing problems with my +42 even at full lock on the sol when it was slammed and at normal ride height- and neither did bill when i sold him my wheels

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 24 2004, 04:05 AM
its probably your wheels. +42 is what you want. +40 will rub +45 will rub. fuck rota for being retarded.

i had 0 rubbing problems with my +42 even at full lock on the sol when it was slammed and at normal ride height- and neither did bill when i sold him my wheels

Hmm. I just might have to go aftermarket then... we'll see. I'm just running the 95 GSR wheels, and those are 15x6 with a +45mm offset. I have to run a 2mm spacer in there to clear the brakes too, so that doesn't help too much either.

i forgot about that damn offset. +38 bullshit.

i was thinking about rolling the fender a bit, but the front of the car has just been painted last week (aside from the fact that the tire cracked the paint on the lip the first test drive) and i really didnt want to have to risk that on the rear.

I think my negative camber is right about -1.0 in the rear now, if not slightly more (i forget the number) and the fronts only rub a little on full lock now. so i just gotta keep an eye on and see what happens.

It is kind of a shame. Ive had to raise her up a bit, not that it looks bad now, or sits high up, but that 1/2 or 3/4 inch really made a difference...it had a real nice stance, but rubbed like hell. i just cant win.

-Chris

still gotta set that suspension up anyway :)
one of these saturdays get ahold of me and we can go to the garage and corner balance that bish :D
i gotta redo mine anyway... so it will be cool to have someone else there :)

whoa, i forgot about this one.

im down for that whenever you are eric. i wouldnt mind having that done, and besides, i noticed the other day the RR is slightly higher then the LR, so i could take care of that all at once. Lemme know when your thinking of going, and how much it costs.

-Chris

any saturday that you have open is cool with me ... just make sure you get ahold of me a few days before so i can make sure we have access to the shop and stuff
as for cost..... you have to help me adjust mine... and cover lunch or something :)

sweet. that shouldnt be a problem, you like wendy's right? ;)

anyways, this saturday wouldnt work (obviously not enough time) and there a naugy auto cross, if this friggin rain would just stop.

but next week or the saturday after is fine with me. saturdays my only day off, so whenever is good for you, should be good with me.

-Chris

Back