gear oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolidDreamz

I've decided to change the gear oil in the tranny cuz i dont know when it was last changed and car has 60,000 miles on 00 gs-r i got 2mths ago.
Shifting doesnt seem as smooth as should be, no grinds or what not but was wondering if i should just use factory recomended or something better? Thanks!

it's commonly agreed upon that honda MTF (manual transmission fluid) is the best for your tranny. you can pick it up at any dealer. off the top of my head i believe it takes 2.1 qts.

Which means you have to buy 3 quarts right? Soon ill be switching to that, just once i get it on the road and get some money (friday) ill switch over from 5w30, so it's definately 2.1 Quarts? I drained the trans once and put new 5w30 in it for the time being.

I put Redline MTF in my LS's tranny and it was like a whole new transmission, just my input

EDIT: 5W30 is a motor oil, and to the best of my knowledge should be substantially too thin for your transmission. I know my Toyota's manual took 85Wsomethingorother when I changed out the fluids. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I would get that 5W30 out as soon as possible.

they say 5w30 oil is the closest to honda mtf as anything else and it's ok to run it, obviously honda mtf is better.

Originally posted by VTECPOWER@Jun 25 2005, 11:45 AM
they say 5w30 oil is the closest to honda mtf as anything else and it's ok to run it, obviously honda mtf is better.
[post=516391]Quoted post[/post]​

Good stuff... now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

i'm currently running 2 qts of stright 30 weight oil in my tranny. not sure if/when i'll switch to honda mtf :shrug2: .

Originally posted by phyregod@Jul 3 2005, 06:22 PM
I think chilton reccomends, if you cannot get honda mtf, that you use 10w30... I think....
[post=520244]Quoted post[/post]​

thats what i was told

I really like GM syncomesh MTF with friction modifiers. Really good stuff. You can buy it at any GM dealer's parts counter, or you can use Penzoil Syncromesh MTF which is the same part number as the GM stuff (as penzoil makes it for GM) and can be picked up at any autozone for 5 a qt.

Originally posted by phyregod+Jul 3 2005, 06:22 PM-->
I think chilton reccomends, if you cannot get honda mtf, that you use 10w30... I think....
[post=520244]Quoted post[/post]​

that's actually what Honda recommends(weight-wise) ;)

asmallsol
@Jul 4 2005, 11:12 AM
I really like GM syncomesh MTF with friction modifiers. Really good stuff. You can buy it at any GM dealer's parts counter, or you can use Penzoil Syncromesh MTF which is the same part number as the GM stuff (as penzoil makes it for GM) and can be picked up at any autozone for 5 a qt.
[post=520385]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea I'm using the Pennzoil one, it helped make shifting smoother on my 17yr 230000mile transmission :) Also, the Texaco is the same as the Pennzoil and GM from what ive read on the Oil forums.

can you use all gm syncromesh? I mean i put one bottle of syncromesh and the rest was valvoline gear oil.

Originally posted by wanderinman@Jun 25 2005, 11:41 AM
I put Redline MTF in my LS's tranny and it was like a whole new transmission, just my input

EDIT: 5W30 is a motor oil, and to the best of my knowledge should be substantially too thin for your transmission. I know my Toyota's manual took 85Wsomethingorother when I changed out the fluids. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I would get that 5W30 out as soon as possible.
[post=516390]Quoted post[/post]​

Which is exactly why using 90 wt Redline is a bad idea......

Originally posted by Taco15@Jul 4 2005, 01:45 PM
can you use all gm syncromesh? I mean i put one bottle of syncromesh and the rest was valvoline gear oil.
[post=520408]Quoted post[/post]​

yes you can. Remember though to get GM syncromesh WITH FRICTION MODIFIERS. I have been using that stuff for 20k miles or so with no problems.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jul 5 2005, 10:05 AM-->
@Jul 4 2005, 01:45 PM
[post=520408]Quoted post[/post]​

yes you can. Remember though to get GM syncromesh WITH FRICTION MODIFIERS. I have been using that stuff for 20k miles or so with no problems.
[post=520704]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks man

Back