good honest ways to build torque..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h22freshman

Hey whats up guys......I know us import guys can get our HP up........what about the Torque...that would really help us out....What should i do with a Honda Prelude, year 1997 vtec(not SH model). Is it possible to get it up with out spending over 1 grand........Thanks for ur replies ahead of time....
:spin:

aside from boosting the engine the best plan is to get a lightweight flywheel, lightweight rims, so you can put more of what you have to the road, a 4-2-1 header is supposed to give a little more mid range power... a close ratio transmission will help too...

He's already got a close-ratio tranny on there.

You could get some JDM Type S pistons which would bump your CR up to 11.1:1. Some Skunk2 cams would help a little with torque (but mostly HP).

:withstupid: on the flywheel and rims idea

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Dec 29 2002, 07:53 PM
He's already got a close-ratio tranny on there.

oh yeah Doh!! :bash:

No NOS....i dont like it....it just seems too artificial to me.....I think Boost....is the only big power gain I plan on equiping..but yeah that would help!

N2O is basically pure oxygen. Air has oxygen in it. Boost sucks in air. Basically both are putting more oxygen into the car. What is artifical about N2O that makes boost not artifial?

I'm with freshman on this one.

I think he wants something that is always on, not like NO2 where it's just for a second at the touch of a button, and is pretty much only used for racing.

Originally posted by Hexen@Jan 2 2003, 06:18 PM
I'm with freshman on this one.

I think he wants something that is always on, not like NO2 where it's just for a second at the touch of a button, and is pretty much only used for racing.

If you are boosting an engine.. Boost range is generally up around 4k, maybe more. With the ls tranny, you are not going to see full boost unless racing or mashing the gas. Some N2O systems have WOT sensors that kick N2O into the motor when they are armed and the throttle engauges the sensor.

:lol: that is exactly right hexen thanks for backing me up..but thanks all of u guys....

I'm new to the board, but no stranger to hot rodded cars. If you guys want more torque, the best way to get it is to increase the displacement of the engine, that is a plain "old school" hot rodding tip. I have a few dodge fwd's (I've always loved both Honda's and Dodge fwd's). I do run a 72 cb350 cycle (owned by family and friends since day one), so I am a loyal Honda follower.

The reason Honda's don't put out much torque is the way the engine is set up (by design) and that they run insanely short strokes (to facilitate high-rev capabilities). The dodge 2.2 has a 3.62 inch stroke and the 2.5 has a 4.09 inch stroke (very long). The effect is that w/ even the non-turbo cars, the 2.5 has 5hp and 15lbs-ft more torque than the 2.2, while having slightly lower compression. The basic non-intercooled 2.5 turbo at 7psi of boost puts out more torque than a 2.2 intercooled turbo at 14psi. Even with new GM's, their redesigned v8 engines use smaller pistons and longer strokes to increase torque and decrease fuel consumption.

Honda's are sporty, screaming little rocket motors with great performance and good fuel economy, but they lack low end grunt. A stroker kit for Honda 4 cylinders would be a great idea. A little extra torque can often best high rpm potential if the two competing engines are equipped w/ the same plumbing setup. A broad powerband and some low end grunt really helps in acceleration and makes highway cruising effortless for the engine.

My k car wagon and dynasty both have the 2.5 n/a 3spd automatic (100hp @4800rpm, 135lbs-ft @ 2800rpm). The dynasty is a heavy beast and weighs over 3k lbs and has the aerodynamics of a brick. My buddy has an 88 Accord 2 door (carb, 5spd). The weight difference is considerable, yet even at max throttle I was holding w/ him. In the same situation, I might have beaten him w/ my k car, 'cause then I'd be pulling no more weight than the Accord. I also have an 89 Spirit ES (2.5 turbo/5spd) so the ricer boys in my area will have to watch out (I may even intercool it)!!! I can't wait for summer, because I miss my Honda [cycle].

My motto: If it has wheels and comes from Japan, it better be a Honda!

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Jan 2 2003, 06:22 PM

If you are boosting an engine.. Boost range is generally up around 4k, maybe more. With the ls tranny, you are not going to see full boost unless racing or mashing the gas. Some N2O systems have WOT sensors that kick N2O into the motor when they are armed and the throttle engauges the sensor.

you can get a small turbo that will spool around 2500, like a 14g or something like that. Problem is it will be weak when you get in the higher rpm's. Its all a trade off of spool time vs. power

I have the 60-1 that will start to make boost at 3500 rpm, max boost will be around 4700 rpm. Its all good though, it will allow me to keep a good mpg by driving normally out of boost and i will in boost though whole time when im driving hard.

And there will be no problem with power dropping off at high rpm :)

Back