Got my first wanna-be phone phreak call today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
I've been working at MCI for about 2 1/2 years now at the reception desk of the business wholesale office. We don't interact with the public that often, just business customers. I recently was promoted, so I'll be leaving the front desk sometime next month. I was beginning to get upset that I never once had anyone try to social engineer me (to my knowledge anyway), or try anything shady. Till today! :mrgreen: I got a call about an hour ago from a younger-sounding man with a british accent. A rough transcript follows:

-----------------------

Me: Good morning MCI, how can I help you?
Him: Good morning, my name is Mark with MCI, and I'm doing some testing on some lines today. Can I have the switchboard please?

We regularly have real testers call in, so I didn't think anything of it.

Me: Actually this is the switchboard here in Downers Grove, how can I help you?
Him: Ah good, I'm in Down Grove too. Can you connect me to extension 9000?

All of our extensions are in the 5000-6000 range, and this is certainly not 'Down Grove'.

Me: Hmm, that's not an extension here, who are you trying to reach? I can look the extension up for you.
Him: We're just doing some PBX testing, circuits and all that? Can you connect me to extension 9000 please?

None of our testers would talk like that, so now I'm suspicious.

Me: Where did you say you were testing from?
Him: Um, Down Grove.
Me: I see.

Now I just make something up:

Me: Ok, hang on one sec, let me set you up for testing. 9000 you said?
Him: Yes.
Me: Ok sure. And you've tested the TCOMS level already?
Him: Yes.

A real tester would have screamed at me for not knowing what I was talking about. Now I knew he was fake.

Me: Ok, just one thing though. If I try connect you to 9000, you'll get an outside line when I press 9. And by pressing 0, I automatically send you to the local operator. By using our outside lines, you don't pay for the call. And with an operator routing your call, you can't be traced either. That's a darn brilliant scam, but your social engineering skills still need work.

Him: Ahh bugger you suck. ::click::

-----------------------

I've always wanted to get a call like that, but I was worried I was running out of time. Good to see one finally!! :mrgreen:

Oh lord...how about I spell it right! <<types with pointer fingers>> r.e.s.p.o.n.s.e.

Special Ed voice - "Yaaaaayyyyy"

Back