govenor on a p73 jdm?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i just did a b18c type r swap on my integra. when i was driving home it appeared ot have a govenor at 130 mph!!! how do i get rid of this. someone told me that adding a field sfc vtec controller would do it. is that true? please help.
thanks
jon

a vtec controller in no way shape or form change your speed limiter. The only way you can change it is to chip your ecu.

my friend with a del sol said that his field vtec sfc controller killed his gov. if i have to chip, which chip should i go with to kill the gov, but not mess with vtec or redline?

First of all, if you have a JDM ECU, your governor will be set at just about 112 mph, aka 180 kmh. Mine kicks in @ 118 according to my speedo, but really, it's 112. Sounds like you've got a USDM unit.

see response on PGMFI. There is a device designed by a forum member that does exactly what you want. No one has made PCBs/kits/finished devices yet that I know of, but it would be trivial to do so.

OBD2 ECUs are $$$$ - $$$$$ to chip right now, IF you can even find someone with the blank chips that aren't bunk or fake. Chipping is not the answer here, IMHO.

http://pgmfi.org/phorum/read.php?f=70&i=833&t=833

that's actually my post but i really didn't understand what option 2 was

I reposted links to the orignal threads on PGMFI... Dunno if you looked at those.

A guy created a device that gets spliced in between the VSS and the ECU. Up to a certain point, it just copies the VSS signal in to the VSS signal out. Past a certain point (I think it was 170 kph ~102mph) it simply keeps sending the same speed (170kph) instead of your actual speed. This is a much better approach than sending a bogus signal all the time because any ECU functions that are dependent on speed will be upset. Bottom line: ECU functions like it is supposed to, but never sees a speed above 170kph and never hits the fuel cut. Total parts to build: <$10

just put a b18c jdm itr motor
what's the difference between the usdm and jdm p73 ecu? is there a difference in size or id code?

oh and he isn't full of shit. read here:
The Field VTEC controller is a perfect suppliment for VTEC Acura/Hondas. The Field VTEC controller features an 8 step fuel controller (+/- 30% in 1% increments), a VTEC controller adjustment(2000-9900rpm in 100rpm increments), a tachometer display with shift indicator and a speedometer with speed limiter remover. This unit is dyno proven with impressive results. 1.8DOHC 5-9hp, 2.2DOHC 9-17hp, 1.6SOHC 3-5hp. Perfect for the serious enthusiast! Note: For 4 cylinder VTEC engines only.
Field now offers a wiring harness to make installation of the popular Field SFC VTEC Controller a breeze. This unit is available for OBD1 and OBD2 vehicles. These vehicles must also be VTEC equipped, because the harness wiring is specifically desinged for the VTEC Acuras and Hondas.

http://www.inlinefour.com/fielvteccon.html
thanks
jon

Back