GRILLED MEAT or some other stuff if that's what your into

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Isn't mid-May a weird time to harvest beef?
Not really my area of expertise, but I thought they usually took them in the fall, so they don't have to feed them through the winter.
But maybe that's just a northeast thing, not sure where you are from.

Also googled this
When is the "best" time to harvest a steer? (pics)
the animal lover in me died a little reading that thread lol, but at least they weren't raised in cages.

love animals, wish they weren't so delicious medium rare
Yeah no idea. They make deliveries quarterly. I'm in Michigan so our climate is similar to yours.

Medium rare is just right though.

Right on! Ironwood 885 is a nice unit. I got the costco special last december used from a neighbor. Makes some good barbecue. I haven't got rid of my other webers or bradley.

Ya'll big beef eaters? 1/4 cow is a nice amount but not as many pounds as expected.

My wife and I thought of buying a 1/2 cow last few years... My boss has a ranch in eastern washington and does it all organic/grass fed. We increased our consumption when my wife was pregnant and breastfeeding/pumping for our daughter. Since our consumption dropped. We're down to 1 day a week now for beef. Mostly my digestion sucks, environmental factors, and we savor a nice steak WAY more when we eat them less. (Been buying Snake River Farms or local butcher now).

I smoked baby back ribs, sausage, and meat loaf today on my kettle grill. The sausage and meat loaf came out good. I had trouble maintaining temperature today for some reason, on the low side. The ribs came out ok, but a little dry from cooking longer than usual. I use the 3, 2, 1 method.
I have been thinking about upgrading smokers for a while. I have a cheap bullet smoked which works good for shorter smoke times. I have a cheaper kettle grill that does has been good but takes some babysitting sometimes. I have a 5 and 2 year old so I do not have the time to babysit the temps. I am trying to decide on getting a premium Weber charcoal grill, a propane smoker, or a pellet smoker under $350. I have been looking into zgrills, but want to make sure going too cheap isnt a wasts of money. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have seen those before, maybe worth the try. 8 hours is more than I usually smoke for, so I shouldn't have to worry about a refill.

I'm actually selling my Weber Genesis E-330 Special Edition I got in 2012 to one of my buddies. I have lost the taste for food cooked on propane grills. It does nothing for me. I pan fry my steaks in cast iron pan and then bake it in the oven to finish it off in , just like the way the best steak restaurants in the world do.

But now I'm looking at getting a Pellet Grill. I've eaten food from my buddies and its definitely a different flavor that I enjoyed. I'm not sure what to get. I've been researching a bit.

I just saw Weber makes the EX4 Pellet Grill and Traeger seems to be popular, Recteq, Pit Boss, Campchef. So many dam options. I'm leaning Towards the Recteq 590 or the Weber EX4.

I'm actually selling my Weber Genesis E-330 Special Edition I got in 2012 to one of my buddies. I have lost the taste for food cooked on propane grills. It does nothing for me. I pan fry my steaks in cast iron pan and then bake it in the oven to finish it off in , just like the way the best steak restaurants in the world do.

But now I'm looking at getting a Pellet Grill. I've eaten food from my buddies and its definitely a different flavor that I enjoyed. I'm not sure what to get. I've been researching a bit.

I just saw Weber makes the EX4 Pellet Grill and Traeger seems to be popular, Recteq, Pit Boss, Campchef. So many dam options. I'm leaning Towards the Recteq 590 or the Weber EX4.
While I have 3 weber's, I wouldn't touch their pellet grill. Looks like a PITA to clean and you HAVE to clean pellet grills regularly (24 hours of cook is a good measure).

I've had two traegers. The silverton 620 from costco is aight but the price is great for all the features. I got mine used (new out of box) in my neighborhood fb group for $500 so it was worth it. I also sold my 4 year old tex elite for $200 to offset and it was very very used.

If I didn't get the traeger for cheap, I would have got the recteq 590 and added some accessories. Real nice barbecue and heavy duty. Great warranty. Part of me almost went all out on a Yoder. I saved the money $50 a month until I had like $2K in my BBQ fund (justify to wife) and couldn't pull the trigger on the yoder.

While I have 3 weber's, I wouldn't touch their pellet grill. Looks like a PITA to clean and you HAVE to clean pellet grills regularly (24 hours of cook is a good measure).

I've had two traegers. The silverton 620 from costco is aight but the price is great for all the features. I got mine used (new out of box) in my neighborhood fb group for $500 so it was worth it. I also sold my 4 year old tex elite for $200 to offset and it was very very used.

If I didn't get the traeger for cheap, I would have got the recteq 590 and added some accessories. Real nice barbecue and heavy duty. Great warranty. Part of me almost went all out on a Yoder. I saved the money $50 a month until I had like $2K in my BBQ fund (justify to wife) and couldn't pull the trigger on the yoder.
I just discovered Yoder today!...JFC what a piece of equipment. The 480 basically $2300 out the door but the only dealer in CT said they ordered Yoders 2 months ago and the expected delivery isn't until October! They sell before they are in stock. And they don't really order the 480 because the 640 outsells it 20-1. The Weber's seem to have major issues even with the Gen 2. I'm staying away. I think the Recteq 590 may be the one but i need to do more research. i really want a pellet grill that can get to 600 degrees.

I just discovered Yoder today!...JFC what a piece of equipment. The 480 basically $2300 out the door but the only dealer in CT said they ordered Yoders 2 months ago and the expected delivery isn't until October! They sell before they are in stock. And they don't really order the 480 because the 640 outsells it 20-1. The Weber's seem to have major issues even with the Gen 2. I'm staying away. I think the Recteq 590 may be the one but i need to do more research. i really want a pellet grill that can get to 600 degrees.

Recteq does get hot. One of the members here has made me steaks off theirs before and it was very tasty.

Smoke 'n' Bros has new metal design that can get the grates to 600 for hard sears. Many people use grill grates too if you want just one machine.

I'm a fan of using the right tool for the right job. I still have a weber e-210 and a weber performer just for the direct cooking. (Cast iron on the grill so it doesn't smoke up my house). Bradley for fish/cheese. Weber smokey joe for quick charcoal cooks / camping.

Welp, After days and days of research ...i pulled the trigger on the Yoder YS480....Wife= unhappy but she will deal with it. I can't wait to get this thing and smoke my meat. Won't ship until the end of the month. Got the grill mate searing plates as well so i can get that seared steak i would from a grill.
I knew you would go for the biggest and baddest. From a Zgrill to a Yoder.

I'm just surprised he didn't lease it...

america burn GIF

I knew you would go for the biggest and baddest. From a Zgrill to a Yoder.
I honestly didn't think i was going to get it....but after talking it out with my wife, she said just get it because she knew that if i wasn't happy with the Recteq then all hell would break lose. Sometimes you just need to buy the best or what is at least reviewed as the best. Like when i bought my tractor. I researched the shit out of it...my buddie bought a Toro Timecutter and another buddie bought a cheap series John Deer from Home Depot. I went with a Simplicity Regent which is an expensive lawn tractor. The Toro has spent more time in the shop then on the lawn in the past 8 years and my buddies John Deer has gone through two transmissions and 3 head gaskets. My 8 year Simplicity has had 1 shop visit for some sort of control unit which cost me $150 which was last year.

And when i bought my Weber Genesis 9 years ago, one of my buddies bought a Kenmore and is on his second Kenmore and is now buying my Weber. That's why sometimes you spend the extra money and you buy the best. Do it right the first time.

i had a $100 walmart grill for fathers day that lasted almost 8 years.

it was very small, but we used it all the time! even in the winter when we would have the fire pit going.

if the frame didnt start rotting out we probably would have kept it longer, lol . sometimes it's just how you take care of things.

i had a $100 walmart grill for fathers day that lasted almost 8 years.

it was very small, but we used it all the time! even in the winter when we would have the fire pit going.

if the frame didnt start rotting out we probably would have kept it longer, lol . sometimes it's just how you take care of things.
That's impressive. Before my Weber i had a $499 Charmglow full "Stainless Steel" 3 burner grill with side burner from Home Depot. Covered full time. After a year the Side burner rotted out, the 3rd burner stopped working and the metal around the casters where all rusted out. After 1 year. i used it for another year or so until i bought this house and then I tossed it out and bought the Weber which I have not really covered much at all and its pretty mint after 9 years other than the igniter that stopped worker. But that's an easy fix.

Got the Traeger assembled and seasoned over the weekend. And of course now it's gonna rain all week.

One issue I'm having is getting the WiFire app set up and connected. Sort of frustrating but at the same time I'm not sure how much use I'll actually get out of it.

IMG_20210411_175944.jpg

Got the Traeger assembled and seasoned over the weekend. And of course now it's gonna rain all week.

One issue I'm having is getting the WiFire app set up and connected. Sort of frustrating but at the same time I'm not sure how much use I'll actually get out of it.

View attachment 30588
Does the setup trouble have anything to do with the dual band wifi? 2.4ghz 5ghz. ive read that about some of these things...you have to force the grill to connect to 2.4ghz network somehow

looks nice though....at least you have yours up and running. would love to see some food pics from that thing,

Does the setup trouble have anything to do with the dual band wifi? 2.4ghz 5ghz. ive read that about some of these things...you have to force the grill to connect to 2.4ghz network somehow

looks nice though....at least you have yours up and running. would love to see some food pics from that thing,
Yeah I had to switch my phone over to my 2.4 frequency. It's really as simple as scanning the qr code on the grill and setting it up via app. You're not actually doing anything on the grill itself. I've read of some other folks that have had similar issues. Gonna try the manual set up tonight when I get home. Also have an access point in the detached garage and the grill is basically at the halfway point between that and the main router, so possibly it's not sure which one to connect to. May try unplugging the AP while I do the initial set up and see if that helps.

Probably won't get any food on it until this weekend if the weather stays shitty all week.

my emporia home energy monitor had the same shit, had to turn on 2.4 for it to work on my old AC router...

however my new AX router it's included lol

Back