GRILLED MEAT or some other stuff if that's what your into

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I need to get a new grill as well. the 10 year old Brinkman finally snapped the gas line to the left side fuel rail, so my 4-burner is down to a 2-burner. I think i paid 150 bucks for it so i got my money's worth out of it and i'm not going to try to fix it at this point... to the scrap yard it goes.

Was at Home Depot yesterday and i can't believe how expensive the webers are (2 burner E series are like 400 bucks) and the other brand they are pushing is NextGrill. Reviews aren't great calling it cheap china metal but otherwise seems to cook ok.

They didn't have any charbroil's out there. Is there a better mid-line brand to scope out? I'm too cheap to drop the coin on a weber.

Regarding the wifi issue, yea, i had a security camera that worked only on 2.4 as well. i tossed it. I run a mesh network with one ssid for both bands and both access points so it made it effectively useless without specifically broadcasting a 2.4g band in the house. That defeats the whole purpose IMO.

I need to get a new grill as well. the 10 year old Brinkman finally snapped the gas line to the left side fuel rail, so my 4-burner is down to a 2-burner. I think i paid 150 bucks for it so i got my money's worth out of it and i'm not going to try to fix it at this point... to the scrap yard it goes.

Was at Home Depot yesterday and i can't believe how expensive the webers are (2 burner E series are like 400 bucks) and the other brand they are pushing is NextGrill. Reviews aren't great calling it cheap china metal but otherwise seems to cook ok.

They didn't have any charbroil's out there. Is there a better mid-line brand to scope out? I'm too cheap to drop the coin on a weber.

Regarding the wifi issue, yea, i had a security camera that worked only on 2.4 as well. i tossed it. I run a mesh network with one ssid for both bands and both access points so it made it effectively useless without specifically broadcasting a 2.4g band in the house. That defeats the whole purpose IMO.
Lowes has Char-Broils "Commercial Grade SS" $399 for the 3 burner with side burner

$479 for the 4 burner with side burner.

I purchased a Charbroil 2 burner commercial grill 10 years ago. I got 5.5 years out of it before it was rotted out. It was covered all the time with a charbroil cover.

I purchased a Charbroil 2 burner commercial grill 10 years ago. I got 5.5 years out of it before it was rotted out. It was covered all the time with a charbroil cover.

This is why you go Weber. $799 for something like the E-310 it will last you 20 years. The only other Propane grill in that price range I would consider is the Napoleon. They make Fire everything and they do it top notch. However, Weber is more accessible in terms of parts and their customer service is top notch.

B, spend the extra money on something that will last. The Spirits are made in the China and Genesis II and above are "Made in the USA" using globally sourced components.

Last edited:
My dad gave me his old weber in 2009. He got it in 1998. I used it until 2014 when I moved in with my now wife.
Got the Traeger assembled and seasoned over the weekend. And of course now it's gonna rain all week.

One issue I'm having is getting the WiFire app set up and connected. Sort of frustrating but at the same time I'm not sure how much use I'll actually get out of it.

View attachment 30588

Yeah, change your phone to 2.4ghz and drop the AP if you can. Leave it that way for 24 hours and it should show up. Mine took 24 hours but has been rocksolid since. I unplug and put away my smoker every use and it always reconnects right away. App works fine for what it is and makes barbecue/smoking/cooking so easy.

This is why you go Weber. $799 for something like the E-310 it will last you 20 years. The only other Propane grill in that price range I would consider is the Napoleon. They make Fire everything and they do it top notch. However, Weber is more accessible in terms of parts and their customer service is top notch.

B, spend the extra money on something that will last. The Spirits are made in the China and Genesis II and above are "Made in the USA" using globally sourced components.
This guy....... I got a spirit and its 7 years on original burners, grates, etc. (I've only changed flavorizer bars and might do grates this year, still modular parts). I use it 2-3 days a week and its going strong. My dad has a genesis. If you need the space great, but its not worth the 2x I paid for being a propane grill. Doesn't cook any difference and design is almost the same.

This guy....... I got a spirit and its 7 years on original burners, grates, etc. (I've only changed flavorizer bars and might do grates this year, still modular parts). I use it 2-3 days a week and its going strong. My dad has a genesis. If you need the space great, but its not worth the 2x I paid for being a propane grill. Doesn't cook any difference and design is almost the same.
I think you misunderstood...I meant just get a Weber in general whether it be a Spirit or Genesis...i was just pointing out the differences in manufacturing between the Spirit and Genesis. They both have the same 10 year warranty. The Napoleon has a 15 year.

I think you misunderstood...I meant just get a Weber in general whether it be a Spirit or Genesis...i was just pointing out the differences in manufacturing between the Spirit and Genesis. They both have the same 10 year warranty. The Napoleon has a 15 year.
Thought you were advocating for not buying one unless it was genesis or above.

FB marketplace is full of used webers that are a few years old. If I had a bigger family, I can score a used weber summit/gensis for like $1-200 bucks in my neighborhood. My dad sent me a free one yesterday by his jobsite, looked BRAND NEW, but I didn't have time to pick up.

Best part about webers is you can get all the knockoff parts now to replace the components when they break on the zon.

My dad gave me his old weber in 2009. He got it in 1998. I used it until 2014 when I moved in with my now wife.

Yeah, change your phone to 2.4ghz and drop the AP if you can. Leave it that way for 24 hours and it should show up. Mine took 24 hours but has been rocksolid since. I unplug and put away my smoker every use and it always reconnects right away. App works fine for what it is and makes barbecue/smoking/cooking so easy.
Tried that last night. No joy. Acting the exact same way as previous. Finds the grill, "connects" starts to authorize/configure, and then fails, repeats process 3 times and then I get a failure to connect message. Also tried the manual set-up method that bypasses the QR code and the results were the same. Wife's Iphone also got the same errors.

Reading on the interwebs and watching YouTube this appears to be a pretty common issue.

This is definitely on the Traeger side of the street.

Alas, I will soldier on without connectivity for the time being and commence smoking delicious meats and vegetables.

the other brand they are pushing is NextGrill. Reviews aren't great calling it cheap china metal but otherwise seems to cook ok.
I just watched a video from Mad Scientist BBQ and he went out and bought a brand new Nextgrill Smoker and it melted the top of the grill on his first cook. Its a throw away Grill.

So, for any Traeger owners, my wife was able to link her iphone to the grill. Worked great for our first couple cooks (pork loin/mac-n-cheese, then a whole turkey with smoked stuffing). Results were excellent.

I've been working midnights for a couple weeks so I finally got around to messing with my Android device today and was able to get it to link, but in order to do so I had to force the grill to forget the network info and start over. Now my wife can't use the app but I can. Has anyone used more than 1 device simultaneously on the same unit?

My next step is a Traeger forum or youtube bit I know that's a rabbit hole that never ends.

On a side note, made simple burgers and sausages today with super smoke mode and they turned out phenomenal.

IMG_mgmnp5.jpg
IMG_20210403_183240_546.jpg
IMG_20210403_183240_369.jpg

Did a 6 lb brisket Sunday. About 9 hours. Took it off at 198 internal temp and let it rest 30 minutes. Turned out quite good, although just slightly drier than I would prefer. Will probably cut the time by 45 minutes or so next time around.

Attachments

• IMG_20210502_183215.jpg
    IMG_20210502_183215.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 138
I ended up with the YS640S ...yeah yeah yeah.....its coming Monday
Did a 6 lb brisket Sunday. About 9 hours. Took it off at 198 internal temp and let it rest 30 minutes. Turned out quite good, although just slightly drier than I would prefer. Will probably cut the time by 45 minutes or so next time around.
i thought you were supposed to let Brisket rest for hours after you smoke it to get the juices to soak back in. I watch Mad Scientist BBQ on Youtube...watch some of his vids on brisket.

I ended up with the YS640S ...yeah yeah yeah.....its coming Monday

i thought you were supposed to let Brisket rest for hours after you smoke it to get the juices to soak back in. I watch Mad Scientist BBQ on Youtube...watch some of his vids on brisket.
Yeah. 2 hours minimum I think. I normally just got Salt and Pepper, 225 until 165, then peach paper until 203. Then rest wrapped in foil/towels in a cooler for a couple hours minimum.

I have done some wonderful briskets and many many bad ones. Its like chasing the dragon and my wife hates the word brisket. Most often i struggle with the USDA prime (Costco) rendering enough and not letting it run through the stall.

Here is a small one. Came out perfect.

IMG_20170709_162816.jpg

The bad ones I freeze and do burnt ends at a different time. Big crowd pleaser.
IMG_20200426_172841.jpg

Back