GSR turbo civic coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JeRM82

I was wondering how the guys with gsr tubo'd civics do with overheating. I am planning on using edelbrock's kit because it is smog legal in california, and a few other reasons that would just make this post longer than it has to be....ha ha.... The kit runs about 250whp and has a FMIC, my concerns are about driving the car for 210 miles or so at a time every couple weeks back home to see my family (I'm in the military).....I figure that with a lower thermostat and some electric fans (tial possibly?). I was also wondering if anyone has a similar set-up what kind of rpm's you turn at in 5th at about 75mph. I'm just seeing how much of a difference there is with the turbo in gas mileage....it wont stop me from getting it but its nice to know all of the angles before you get into something this expensive....thanks guys...

OH YEAH.....I figure I will be able to run in the high 13's with full interior with that set-up...what do you guys think....GSR trans with LSD.....

umm, since when is a GSR smog legal for a civic?

correctly tuned that kit should be fine regarding temperature. If you have a 14:1 AFR you will run hot though.

Quoted post[/post]]

correctly tuned that kit should be fine regarding temperature. If you have a 14:1 AFR you will run hot though.

In the state of California for it to be a legal swap the motor has to be the same year as the car or newer I think that is what he was getting at. Just a guess though.

Oh i thought it also had to be out of the same model car (meaning B16 would be okay since its in the 99-00 civic Si)

Quoted post[/post]]

DO NOT run 14.1 AFR in a turbo GSR it won't last long at all. Try and target 12.5 and lean out from there IF needed but Never 14.1.

As for the other Q's. The car will run fine for long drives. Remember your not going ot be in boost all the time and really shouldn't boost long in 5th gear because of the heat created. When in fifth, (i'm asumming you do alot of HW driving in fifth) Just don't boost, or just don't boost long. You might want to do a comp test on the car before you boost just to see if your healthy and a leak down inf you has a compressor. As for overheating i've never had a problem with it with the stock fan/rad.thermo. And gas milage really all depends on how you are driving and what your using to tune your fuel / timing. Currently i'm running a fully biult bottom to top Ls motor and I can still get 25 MPG if i'm being nice.

okay, im gonna say i posted that at 4:30AM and thats the reason i made that retarded statement. 14:1 is WAAAY too lean for a turbo ap. you hit the higher RPMs and kiss your engine good bye.

Back