H22 swap in to a 96 H/B

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civ96

Hey guys I was building a b16 turbo motor for my civic but I got laid off from work had to sell it to pay bills. I am back to work and need a swap badly the d16 just isnt cutting it. I can get a H22 swap done for $3000cdn or a b16 for $4000 the h22 is heavier I know but it has about 30+ more hp to start with. Is it worth it? I know the b16 has more power options available for it. Basicaly I just need to be able to spank some stock b16's that are in H/B's will a h22 swap do it?.

yes, its more important to consider the torque gains of the h22 in the hatch...

your car will be fast enough to smoke a stock b16... you should be able to get a complete h22 swap for around 2K, then mounts, axles etc...
and you could always boost the h22 later on for more than enough power gains..

your car may not handle as well as a b16 civic, but will eat them on straights...
get the springs for the swap to improve handling

Hey thats what I figured way more bottom end it would pull very hard from start to finish. B16's need to be in vtec to pull hard so I would get major gains off the start. I have springs for the car so no problem there. I can get the whole swap for $3000cdn installed mounts, header everything. Is that a good price or can anyone tell me where I can get one for cheaper??...Thanks for your reply

if you live in canada I would go to osakajdmmotors (osakajdmmotors.com)
DO NOT buy from them unless you go there and pick your motor and compression test it as well...

their price is like 2K for an H22 swap, but i can not stress enough that you need to go there, or order from a reputable company...

that price of 3K, does that include installation? you said installed mounts, so i dunno if you mean with the mount kit, or if you mean motor installed...

what that equal in USD?

and do you have regular lowering springs? or do you have the springs specifically made for civic with H22's in the front, yes there is a diffrence

but that price seems reasonable if they are gonna install it, you need axles and exhaust work, so it'll be worth it not to have to fuck with that stuff yourself

Ya that price is installed exhaust axels everything. So it would be like $2289usd for everything aftermarket header as well.

$2289 for the motor, trans ecu, and everything installed, as well as an aftermarket header = SWEET FUCKING DEAL

jump on it man

Sweet done and done I will be doing the swap in the next month need it for the may long weekend..so excited thanks for the info man.

do yourself a favor and get dyno numbers before and after...

the before is a waste of money, but it would be nice to know exactly how much of a gain you got and then you can figure out the cost per horsepower...

i wanna see some pics mang, and DEF take before and after pics, you will regret it if you dont...

also try and get in the shop while the swap is going on so you can take pics of the empty engine bay, then you can tell people you did it yourself :)

Ya for sure pics will be a must. I Have to paint the engine bay blue when to motor comes out so will get pics with no motor. I have dyno tested my car already about 20000km ago it was at 122.5hp with quite a bit of work in to the d16. So I hope I get a bit more than that shooting for about 180hp. You loose about 15% through the drive train and the engine is a jdm so comes with aprox 220hp at the crank. Should work awsome

unless you are getting a type s which = MAD MONEY, then it will not have 220 at the crank, unless its worked already

Its not a type S so its 200hp right. I have some stuff for it I have a crane cams ignition system, nolgy hot wires, DC sports header, 2.5'' mandrel bent exhaust, high flow cat, Ks-rom reprogramed ecu, air intake, underdirve pullys. Dont know what all that will give me but anything more than 160 at the wheels I will be happy. how much do you think this will make estimate???...

uhm, you might get 230 out of that setup... not sure on everything but it seems decent, but no major power booster...

its all the little things that combine to give you decent increases
you may want adjustable cam gears and get a little tuning done to get the most out of your cams... and you may also want to advance your timing a little bit? if its at tdc that is

well, on second thought

lol
they say you can;t beat a stock jdm 4:2:1 header ont he H22, aftermarket is for looks and bragging right only...
the exhaust is a power booster for sure

so sounds like you have a decent setup that has intake and exhaust work for better air flow, reprogrammed ecu for more fuel to go with the better airflow, and a sure fire ignition system to guarantee you get enough spark...
maybe 15 to 20 horse is a more accurate figure
so maybe 170 at minimum to the wheels... but i would guess close to 180-190

only estimates, if i'm wrong sue me :lol:

Nice I hope it works good. Ya no major power adders I have a dry zex kit but dont know if I should use it or not. I just want something that will haul some ass for this summer then I will build the motor for a turbo during the cold ass winter next year. The zex kit would work nice but i want the engine to last the whole summer with no problems. Thank you for all the info.

You will be happy with an h22. There are alot of parts for the h series now. Skunk makes cams along with JUN for the h series and hytech,an-r,header tech make great headers for the h series.

It's definitely a motor that can take a beating. I've turned mine to 8k many many many times. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Unless you severely abuse your engine, it would surely amaze you and last the summer.

Nice do you think it would last the summer running a 75shot i race alot every friday and saturday i'm at a track some where or on the street. i race about 4 times a night maby 6 if there are alot of cars out, first, second and third gear the nos is flowing so i really beat up on my engines. If its there i will use it i hate loosing so if it means dumping more nos i will. i would rather not even have it in the car and save the money of rebuilding the engine twice and just race it all motor then build the engine for nos come the winter. i dont know anyone running nos on a h22 so i'm not to sure how those engines hodl up. Let me know guys all you help is great thanks.

Where are you getting the swap done. I have been looking for a shop to do this same swap. I've already got $1000 just in axles, mounts and some other liitle things. The best I have found is $1500 turnkey. So with the motor, parts, and labor I'm looking at $5000.

Under $3000 is a fucking steal.

Back