h22 swap into h23 prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wow h23 tranny with p14 ecu, that must suck. Youll get better performance out of the car with the h22 tranny. Its all there stock for a reason guy

Yeah you are right it does come there stock for a reason but I just wanted to know if it made a really big difference using the h23 tranny instead of the the h22 tranny. I really dont want to spend the money it costs to get an h22 tranny when I already had the h23 one.

Originally posted by jam05pr@Apr 17 2004, 11:39 AM
Yeah you are right it does come there stock for a reason but I just wanted to know if it made a really big difference using the h23 tranny instead of the the h22 tranny. I really dont want to spend the money it costs to get an h22 tranny when I already had the h23 one.

It won't make that big of a difference. Not $300 worth of difference anyway. Get the right ECU, then you'll see a difference. The difference that you will feel would probably be in first gear before VTEC. Once VTEC kicks, it's all good.

there shouldn't be a question whether to use a p14 or p13, haha. why wouldn't you want vtec, cause you're not getting it without the p13. huge difference, i've driven with and without vtec wired.
about the h23 or h22 tranny...some guys like the h23 tranny better and some like the h22 tranny better. without experiencing both, i can't give the best answer, but i would go with the h22 tranny anyway.

the si tranny has longer gearing, therefor you loose just a little torque, its great for turbo..thats what i use. but if your gonna keep it all motor, i would invest in the h22 tranny. If it still doesn't feel satisfying with your p-13 and tranny, if you decide to do that. I'm just curious, what tranny was on the h22 before? Was it a automatic? hope not. but.. if it was, that could answer alot of people's question on there swap. The automatic cams really suck, you would notice a big difference with h22 cams. well... good luck on your project.

I dont really know what transmission the motor came with since I only bought the longblock since I already had a compatible tranny. I wasn't aware of the cams being different on an automatic or a manual. I though that no matter what kind of tranny, that all motors had the same internals. Maybe i'm wrong but i just find it hard to believe. It just doesnt make any sense to me, maybe someone can clarify this.

Do you know what the differences are between the two as far as the cams themselves and the hp difference between the two.

Couldn't tell you hp difference, but first and half of second gear feels really gutless. Put it this way. My friend kris found this out the hard way too. He has a f20b motor with auto cams and was wondering why he was running high 16's in a 93 civic hatch with headers, intake, vafc. Found out about the cams. threw some h22 manual cams and better exhaust. Just that alone he was down to 13.9's.
Compare those numbers, I know an exhaust wouldn't do that much lol , hell if it did shit i'd be in line to get one.

Uggh. Apples and Oranges. There is a difference between an F20B and an H22. I betcha fifty people on this site have claimed that the Automatic H22 puts down less numbers, and 0 have shown proof. The cams are slightly different, but not by much. To say that swapping in H22 manual cams into an F20B automatic made an improvement has nothing to do with the comparison of H22 auto to H22 manual.

Show me dyno proven results, and I will gladly change my mind. Everyone says they read it in some magazine, but the magazine didn't even have proof.

Another person on this site posted times for Auto h22 Accord vs. Manual H22 Accord. The numbers were within .1 seconds of eachother.

yes there is ..like 16 ft tq. thats it. You think i'm stupid, i didnt read any tabloids. I've seen it myself at the track. I'm not going to get him to spend another 150 on a dyno just to compare power just to prove a point. Hell I don't think the cams etc. didn't drop the time like 3 seconds. it was probably the driver. but driving the thing myself i did feel a good difference especially in 1st gear. Damn don't pay attention to me though. All you experts can explain huh.

huh. Well, the F20B wasn't rated as high as the H22 to begin with. My point was that you probably did feel a measurable difference. But wait, that difference wasn't felt between an H22 auto engine and an H22 manual engine. When I speak to someone that swaps out auto cams to manual, in an H22, I'll put a little more weight into their words.

Apples and Oranges. Start your own thread if you disagree. I'm not responding to this jibberish and threadjacking any more.

Calm down guys, I didnt mean for this to lead to an argument.

By the way, how would you be able to tell if an h22 is automatic or manual, considering you dont have the tranny.

Originally posted by jam05pr@Apr 19 2004, 09:01 PM

By the way, how would you be able to tell if an h22 is automatic or manual, considering you dont have the tranny.

Flywheel for manual, torque plate for auto. A flywheel is smooth disc. A torque plate has several holes in it, some for mounting your torque converter.

Originally posted by jam05pr@Apr 19 2004, 09:28 PM
But what if the longblock that I bought didn't come with a flywheel.

No flywheel, no torqueplate?

You would either need the VIN from the car(doubtful), or look up the engine number(don't know where), or possibly distinguish the engine harness as being auto or not. There are a couple of plugs that go to an automatic, which I do not believe are present on a manual.

Basically, I couldn't tell ya for sure, but that is how I would check. Everything is the same from Auto to Manual except the flywheel/torqueplate and slightly different cams. Throw on a flywheel and some kickin cams, you'll have a happy engine :) I am willing to bet that you'd love the engine no matter what.

Ok, i finally got a computer to activate the vtec. I got it from a friend and I think its a p28 with a skunk2 chip. The car is running really fast and smooth. There is just one problem. Sometimes when I am racing the check engine light comes on and vtec disengages. The check engine light is always off under normal driving. I dont know what could be causing this but if anybody can help I would appreciate it since I wouldnt want nothing bad to happen to the motor.

Well, after a month or so I finally figured out what code the computer is throwing. It is code 22 which is the oil pressure switch. I changed the oil pressure switch for a different one and i still get the code. I dont know what else it could be.

do you have an oil pressure gauge?
have you been running the car with this code going off?
did you check the wiring?

i would make certain that you have good oil pressure before even thinking about starting that motor again...

Back