H22 Vs. B-series

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

professorjohnfrink

i was wondering if there is any significant handling differences between the b-series and the h22 in a 5g civic. the car would be a daily driver. would you only notice the difference under heavy cornering?-thanks

Unless you are circuit racing normally at around a 100 or above miles per hour you won't notice any understeer from the H22 over the B series. Also the H22 only is about 80 pounds heavier than a B18B1 so not too much...

if you are attentive to the handling aspects of your car you will notice an increase in understeer at any speed the understeer will get worse as speed increases... this will only become a major issue under heavy cornering... ie: autoX (well under 100mph), road course (circuit racing), hard cornering on twistie roads (canyon carving etc)

for normal driving it will be fine... for agressive driving with mild corners (highway racing) it will be fine... for autoX, road course, twisties your performance will suffer

Well I did pretty good considering I don't have the engine in my car...LOL. Yea I guess under a 100 makes sense...Thats just such a large engine for anything other than strip or drag racing.

over or under 100 isnt really the issue ....

do you like hard cornering?
is cornering ability as important or more important than srtaight performance?

if the answeres to these questions are yes, then the H series might not be the best choice for you... if the answer is no, then go for the H series swap

I agree with everyones answer. Although I would like to say that even with no handeling problems, I would get a B-series motor. There are more parts available, parts are cheaper easier to find. ETC ETC. GOod luck!

They are cheaper, so much easier to find, but hands down, a h22 will spank a b-series with same mods done. In a yr or so (when i'm done playing with my d-series), i will have an all motor h22 in my civic and i will autox it to see if i can prove peoples statements wrong about how it sucks on the autox/road courses.

I was throwning around the idea of an s2000 motor and was wondering if hondaswap.com would like to sponsor the deal? haha

:NOTE: for all that think I'm crazy, Brian knows what I'm talking about! I hope

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Feb 13 2003, 01:40 AM
They are cheaper, so much easier to find, but hands down, a h22 will spank a b-series with same mods done. In a yr or so (when i'm done playing with my d-series), i will have an all motor h22 in my civic and i will autox it to see if i can prove peoples statements wrong about how it sucks on the autox/road courses.

:werd: thats what im doing.

Originally posted by professorjohnfrink@Feb 13 2003, 07:04 PM
wouldn't the s2000 being rear wheel drive be a problem?

s3db64cf52e994.jpg

J/P yes it would be but that has been addressed a hundred times.

Back