H22 vs. b20vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Everyone talks about dropping in an h22.... but what about a b20vtec?? i was looking at the specs. arent they about the same? what the difference?

what chassis do you have? if you have an eg, you are looking at possibly high 13's with an h22. with the b20 vtec, you are looking at high 14's. there
is no replacement for displacement. however i did finally hit a 14.0 with giggling juice.peace.

Originally posted by 808sohc@Nov 8 2002, 12:04 AM
what chassis do you have? if you have an eg, you are looking at possibly high 13's with an h22. with the b20 vtec, you are looking at high 14's. there
is no replacement for displacement. however i did finally hit a 14.0 with giggling juice.peace.

Damn where are you getting these numbers from? You typically run high 14's on a B16 or B18C...

Hell, one of my buddies ran mid 14's in his GSR swapped Civic, and I roasted his ass every time we raced.

---

The main difference between the H22 and the B20/VTEC is the block setup- The H22 is a stock Honda H block configuration, while the B20/VTEC is a full custom setup. The B20/VTEC will be different every time- it all depends on how someone wanted to put it together, what parts they chose, and how they tuned it. People are making anything from 180hp to 300hp+ at the crank with B20/VTEC engines.

The H22 weighs a bit more than the B20, but it's a stock Honda engine configuration. With a mild B20/VTEC build, you'll make just as much power as an H22 while saving a tiny bit on weight... plus you get more transmissions to choose from, a little more room in the engine bay, maybe save some money on installation costs if you go to a shop to get it dropped in, and you have a much larger aftermarket to choose from.

If you want raw power without playing around inside the engine, get the H22. If you're willing to tear something apart and drop new parts in, build yourself a B20/VTEC. Now if you have tons of money and want to modify the internals of an H22, hell- go for that and be really really happy.

:D

so basically the motors can put out the same power depending upon the setup. If i were to drop in the b20vtec i would have more tranny choices. so as for what am i putting it into. I want to put it in a '90 prelude 2.0 si. People keep telling me that its not worth it. but if i have a shop do it and im keeping the car for a while wouldnt you think it would be worth it? Over all i am leaning more toward the b20vtec. Right now i have a b20a5. would i have to buy custom motor mounts? or would the old ones work? also what am i gonna do with the ECU. will i have to change it to activate vtec? so yeah. Any other info you guys have would help me out thanx.

Well, the B20/VTEC is extremely variable in terms of power output- you can't nail it down to specifics because it's not a 'type' of engine- it's always a custom build.

I honestly don't know the answer to the rest of your questions, and I don't know how the mounts in your older Prelude match up.

Back