H22A into my civic? Will it work? Please Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

udownwit0pp7

alright, I recently got a 92 civic HB and was wanting to do a full engine swap/engine build. I wanted to know if I could just take a Prelude engine, running or not, and just have it fully rebuilt with performance stuff, and have it installed in my car. Is this possible? If so, what year(s) of the prelude engines should I look for? If this isn't possible, what is the next best engine? I am looking to stay N/A and not turbo, I will, but if I can get 250-300 WHP w/out, it won't matter.

Thanks a Lot!

Matt

Yes it will work! There will be some eng. compartment modding that needs to be done. But nothing way to major! 250-300 out of an H22... Not a problem at all! Gaining that amount of HP on an H22 and staying N/A... Not a problem at all!

We have to qualify "not a problem". That's thousands of dollars worth of mods on top of what it'll cost for the engine and the installation. I'm not saying it's not worth it (an easy 250+ hp in something as light as a Civic? Sick!). But he should just know the order of magnitude of the cost.

The parts to achieve that kind of NA power are out there, but they cost more than the B Series counterparts and your choice of venders is more limited.

I don't think the cost issue is very relevant. While it's true that choice of vendors is a bit more limited, the costs are comparable. A part for an H engine might be a couple dollars more, but nothing crazy. Especially if you're going with someplace like groupbuycenter.com or a wholesaler, prices will be just about the same.

as i have posted in the past, an h22 swap is the shiznit. im currently having one built. nothing crazy, just stuffed it with type s cams, tranny and headers. my car is a street car so im adding the 'lude suspension also. eventually im hanging it up for track duties. one thing i have learned about sick swaps is do your homework. if you go to the wrong place, the price can go up as high as a type r swap. dont foget mounts also. i got mine from hasport. make sure you get everything for the swap, you dont want to pull your motor and not have all the parts. i got my h22 from a crashed '97, so i tore everything out for my swap. take your time, shop around, and good luck.

Hey i was planning on doing the exact same thing to a 93 civic i may be running into...some guy has an h22 that's got something wrong with it, i hope it's a rod or something, nothing major...but he's selling it dirt cheap and i'll have about 3 grand left over...do you think this is enough to get the motor in the car and have it running?

I have a 86' crx with H22A swap,my best time is 12.80@108.1mph and is completley STOCK.
I should just put a link to the pics directly, a link to another forum is advertising.
If you need help contact Alex at 1-918-251-0469
:worthy: :D

Yes it will work. There are some problems that will occur during your install.

1. you need to relocate your motor mounts. Check Hasport.com

2. you need to beef up your suspension for the heavier h22a.

3. you also need to beef up your tranny to handle the power. that includes
installing a stronger LSD.

4. You will have to figure out a way to reconnect the power steering and the A/C.

It's very expensive but well worth it. :D

Originally posted by marty2916@Nov 12 2002, 12:53 PM

This is completely wrong. You cannot use a transmission out of a civic with an H22A, you get a H tranny in the swap. You don't have to do anything with the H tranny to handle the extra power. A stronger LSD??? I don't know where you got that one.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Nov 12 2002, 10:56 AM-->
marty2916
@Nov 12 2002, 12:53 PM

This is completely wrong. You cannot use a transmission out of a civic with an H22A, you get a H tranny in the swap. You don't have to do anything with the H tranny to handle the extra power. A stronger LSD??? I don't know where you got that one.

lmfao..ditto on all that.. and from what i have found.. hasport are good, they look pretty but they are expensive. but a lot of the guys recommend the HCP mounts.. they arent pretty but they do the job.. and place racing are good.

Back