H22A swap, scanner cant read ecu!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

619GSR

First off my setup is a 98ls DC2 with a JDM h22a and trani swapped

My mechanic is trying to hook up to my JDM ecu with is Snap-On scanner he is unable to communicate with the computer. I also have a USDM 99 prelude ECU he just tried hooking that up and the engine cranks but never starts. I need to see if there are any codes before I go get the car reffereed. You guys have any ideas what to do?

First off which ecu are you using?

Also the prelude 99 ecu will not work cause its a obd2 which has an immobilizer and with your original ignition will not work with it.
My best bet is get an obd 1 ecu with a obd2 wiring conversion harness and work from there
let me know how you get on?

Ya my chassis is 98 so everyting has to be OBDII to pass the ref. Is there no way to take the immobilizer off the ecu?

Sorry mate there is no way off taking it off,
The way i did it was getting an obd 1 ecu with an neptune piggy back ecu that allows me to control my mapping and also allowed me to keep my original ignition and lock's

ref>? is that like an inspection??
If you need it to just pass inspection and the you are gonna go back to the JDM ecu, then go out and get 97 prelude ecu. I'm pretty sure that has no IMO

97 prelude ecu has got an immobilizer. honda cars 96 up all carry immobilizer so you have to go to obd 1 which 95 downwards

Wrong
Your info is innacurate, you cannot be more wrong about that.
Most honda's didn't use IMO until 2000 and 2001, as a matter of fact I have 2 integras 1 is a 99LS with no IMO and the other is a 99 GSR with No IMO
my 2000 civic Si does not have IMO
my 98 accord didn't have IMO
my 96 civic coupe No IMO
my 98 CRV no IMO

Maybe the preludes are different, but I doubt it, and preludes are definately not "all hondas"

Ya my chassis is 98 so everyting has to be OBDII to pass the ref. Is there no way to take the immobilizer off the ecu?

Check eBay. You can get an 37820P13A12 obd2 ecu without the immobilizer for about $400. I am actually going through exact same deal right now. I have a 98 civic with jdm h22 that I need to convert to odb2 ecu for the DQ station. They don't do a sniff test.. they just wait for that green light to come on on the scanner. So, if all smog equipment is hooked up and working, and you have a functional obd2 ecu it will work. The question I am running into is the compression difference between the jdm H22A at 10.6:1 and the USDM H22A1 10.1:1... I am not sure if the ecu will like the higher compression. Also i dont relish spending $400 on an ecu I will use once every 2 years.

Back