Have shell, need motor.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Hey all,

I've got a great shell of an 88 CRX. clean, almost no rust, great interior, paints in good shape, exhaust and suspension are top notch.

and it gets better: empty engine bay.

I want this thing to become my daily driver. my 89 CRX(w/d16y7, and body rusting out from under it) is my current daily driver, and im getting just under 40mpg.

i know that most swaps are searching for more power in lighter weight vehicles, but seeing as how im starting to think that theory transfers to fuel consumption, id like to learn more.

A few quick questions that i'd like to bounce off of some people with much more experience than myself:
1. will a larger, faster, more powerful motor in this light car give me better gas mileage?
2. is it even worth swapping the d16y7 into the new shell?
3. is there a cut off on engine weight vs displacement where i'll hurt fuel economy?
4. V-tec vs turbo vs N/A. i know v-tec and N/a are going to burn less fuel, but i'd still like the ability to put my foot into it and get moving quick, (ie Vtec vs turbo?) best options? thoughts?

thanks for any and all help.
-j

1. Probably not but it all depends on the weight of your foot.
2. IMO....no.....running car should not be chopped for the sake of a non-running car. Just seems silly unless you are broke and the 89 is trashed.
3. Tons of Honda motors can make it in your engine bay (D, H, B, K, ?)
4. Turbo will eat fuel. VTEC is made for fuel economy (when not using the VTEC lobes).

Any swap in your car will take more time, mod's and money than a 92-95 Civic (as an example).

Too many swaps can go in your chassis. Best bet is to research, read and learn. The more you learn.....the better the questions you can ask and the more likely you will get genuine responses from knowledgeable members on this site. We get too many inquiries similar to yours and very very low percentage of follow through.....so the veterans ignore a lot of these requests.

when it comes to builds its all about personal preference. as far as the whole vtec vs N/A vs turbo you could always run vtec and turbo but that would require a lot more tuning work but if you want to make it a dd with good gas mileage i would honestly stay d series with a d16z6 but thats just a personal opinion. also a larger faster motor typically will consume more gas hence why honda's have better gas mileage then cars with v8s.

i got a d15b1 needs timing belt water pump tensioner exhaust mani. intake mani. i got the dpfi intake mani. that came off it perfect for a dd. if u want it id need info on how to ship it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back