Having a Timing Problem with My MINI VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondamidnighter

Well I just finished doing my Mini me Vtec Head swap on my B7, and well I got everything I needed. After I got everything together, I didn't put the timing belt cover on because the car wouldn't start and maybe would need some adjusments. After messing with the cam and crank timing, we got both of them on their time and the timing belt tight. So It started but it hesitates no matter where we put the distributor. The engine has compression, it also has spark on all cylinders, and it just seems that something is either wrong with the distributor or maybe we are still off some time teeth on the cam or crank.

So anybody had a problem similar to mine, please help me...?? :( Thanks

And it's been a while since I post up in here...it sucks to have no internet right now...

on a mini me you have to advance the timing 1 degree with the cam for it to run right. If you have a adj. cam gear it should be an easy fix.

hey man i had the same problem before i did my swop. check this out. you are most likely off about 3 most likely on the crank. you need to carefully look at it and make sure it aligns. after it aligns advance it 1 tooth. do the same with the cam too. you need the cover though cause then you wont be able to tell. another trick for the cam is to stick a rachet in each one and make sure their all even. go to the junk yard and find yourself another distributer.. you dont have to but wont hurt to get a new one. try that and tell me how it went.... teamcrex@hondaswop.net

Originally posted by hondamidnighter@Jul 26 2005, 03:51 PM
Well I just finished doing my Mini me Vtec Head swap on my B7, and well I got everything I needed. After I got everything together, I didn't put the timing belt cover on because the car wouldn't start and maybe would need some adjusments. After messing with the cam and crank timing, we got both of them on their time and the timing belt tight. So It started but it hesitates no matter where we put the distributor. The engine has compression, it also has spark on all cylinders, and it just seems that something is either wrong with the distributor or maybe we are still off some time teeth on the cam or crank.

So anybody had a problem similar to mine, please help me...?? :( Thanks

And it's been a while since I post up in here...it sucks to have no internet right now...
[post=531489]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, Unfortunately the Vtec head doesn't have the time cover, so I had to lay a ruler to get it right. And the Crank is on right on TDC, also the key is right on the oil pumps mark.

So I should advance the timing one tooth on the crank and cam in order for the engine to not hesitate?? Also the distributor has a good amount of spark on all cylinders. Also gives hell of a shock!! :blink:

Well I gonna have to give a try tomorrow...

Well After messing with the timing, advancing it and retarding it, Me and my dad came to a conclusion that from what the engine was doing could be that some valves are not closing enough or opening. So I got some feelers and started to check if they were to spec. <_< Which they were not. So It took me 45 mins. to make sure everything is to spec then i lined up everything together, I also got the plastic cover that indicates the cam sprocket TDC marks. Well after getting everything to TDC and to Specifications, I cranked it and the hesitation stopped, and the engine didn't vibrate like it used to. But something was still wrong, no matter were I slide the distributor the engine wouldn't finish burning the gas. The exhaust would also have some small, low sounding, backfires but very quiet. And till this point I dont know what else to do.

Thats why Im asking for help in what should I do so that the engine would finish to burn the fuel. I gonna try advancing or retarding the cam like it is right now to see if there is no changes. The car also doesn't throw any CEL.

Back