Head Gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
hey guys i was searching ebay and i saw this head gasket that supposedly lowers the compression of the GSR engine from 10.1:1 to 9:1. it was a 3mm he3ad gasket, does this really work? also he said that its ideal for turbo and could handle 13lbs of boost with no problem. is this to be assumed on stock internals? would it really handle it?

I would avoid EBAY head gaskets. I have never heard of anyone using a head gasket to LOWER compression but people do sometimes use smaller head gaskets to raise compression.

3mm is like 3 times the thickness of your stock one! It's made for boost, and I would buy nothing but oem gaskets.

Inline pro makes a headgasket for high comp. or low comp.

I've seen them and they work but go with a reputable brand. Watch out on ebay. More importantly, these are better used if someone is trying to salvage a damaged head that had to be shaved too much to use a stock gasket. If you are running more than 8 pounds of boost or so and need lower compression for that then your still not accounting for the strength of the stock internals. Build the bottom end right if you need to. I think you can envision the weak link here if you are going to run high boost.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 16 2003, 09:49 PM
I have never heard of anyone using a head gasket to LOWER compression but people do sometimes use smaller head gaskets to raise compression.

The IS300 guys do it... Peter Farrell made something like 580whp with a stock block IS300- he only changed out to a thicker copper head gasket, then boosted the hell out of it.

im doing it too. not 3mm, but thicker than stock.

Back