HELP: camshaft not turning, D16Z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

neko22

Hi all,

I did something pretty DUMB: I took out the rocker arms and the camshaft,
cleaned them and when i put them back in, the camshaft does not turn;
well it may turn a little but then it locks.
When I took them out, I took the bolts out of the rocker arms assembly,
they moved a bit but I put them back the best i could remember.

I did not completely dismantle the rocker arms, but maybe the rocker arms are
not in the right position, though they look right to me.
I looked at the rebuild thread and the way i put the rocker arms look good.
D16Z6 Engine Rebuild (pictures) - Honda-Tech

Anybody can give me some ideas, post some pictures of what it should look like, etc.
Thanks a million.

Btw, I have a 93 del Sol with D16Z6.

- Neko

If you mean the bolts on the rocker arms for the valve lash....you may be locking them out because the clearance is way off.

^ I read the post and didn't respond - not sure what's going on here. The link shows a nicely documented engine assemble. Should be all he needs.

more details

Thanks all.

The bolts come in fine in the assembly; I had to wiggle it a bit but I looked at the holes and they align fine.
I think the issues is with the rocker arms.

When I took the assembly off, I loosened the adjusting screws and there was some play after I did it, or so I think. When I put it on yesterday the play was not there.

However, when I turn the camshaft it locks; now, this is dumb, I think it is because this is an inference engine, so the valves might be hitting the pistons.
Does this seem right to you?

When I put it on with the mark UP up on the cam sprocket there could be some tight rocker arms, right?
Thanks.

Let me get this right. With head mounted onto the engine short block you are attempting to turn the camshaft with the timing belt off and crankshaft not turning?

Many, if not all of the Honda's are what are termed "Interference" type engines, which means the valves can and will make contact with the pistons if the cam timing is off far enough.

Moral of the story: Do not attempt to turn camshaft(s) with head installed onto short block with timing belt removed.

Last edited:
Well...moral of the story....make sure you are TDC on bottom and top end. The pistons and valves could be slapping each other

Back