help...shifter very loose..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thekid3

My shifter is very loose and has alot of play.. you know that the shifting mattern is H-shaped and isnt supposed to move around alot when its in gear.. well no matter whatr gear my car is in, i can move my shifter in a large circle ? any idea what happened?

also make sure that the stabilizing bar is still bolted up... dunno if that would cause this as i have never tried to shift without it hooked up

i heard a good girl and $20 can make your shifter go hard again

its either bushings in your shifter or the shift selector is about to go out in your trans. most likely the bushings in your shifter. replace soon though, if not, it will wreak havok on your shift selector.

Could also be that your linkage is loose. There's a bolt that holds the linkage to the shifter, may have fell out or about too.

The red arrow are the bushings that blow out, the yellow are the pins.
Bitchpin.jpg

Grind the head off the pins and pull them out, slap some new bushings in and replace the pins with some bolts, make sure you use teflon lock nuts. I forget what exactly I used for bushings.

hmm. most of the time i have ever had this issue, its been the RUBBER bushings that are the issue.
never have i come across one that needed those ground out.

i usually put these in
Energy Suspension 16.1102 Shifter Stabilizer Bushings Honda (D Series Engines)

and that takes care of it. also, make sure that the bar thats bolted to the trans with the round bushing is tight, i have had that some loose and it caused this issue, then the damn thing fell off completely. when thats off, there is no shifting at all. luckily i carried a junkyard in my car and was able to get it back up on the side of the road.

^^I bought those at first and it still didnt fix it, but the Energys plus the hood rich universial bushing fix shifter is tighter than well...

lol. its odd that you had to replace those.
i have never encountered that.

my bushings r shot on the item pictured.. anyone know what to use for bushingg or can i get new bushings.. it seems to be a dealer part...
woulda made new thread but no need w this one up and the same prblm... peace

thats a dealer only item. your local acura store should be able to help you. if you work at a shop that gets discounts through parts stores youll get one with that store. my shifter bushing(in the shift linkage under the shiter) cost me 7.99 shipped. those bushings you need will be between 2 and 7 dollars shipped.

my bushings r shot on the item pictured.. anyone know what to use for bushingg or can i get new bushings.. it seems to be a dealer part...
woulda made new thread but no need w this one up and the same prblm... peace

I wish I could remember what I use, if you have solid mounts you could almost get away with welding it solid.

Back