Help with buying DSLR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i think that adding the filter to the lens would be a good idea while still learning the camera.
i keep one on all of my lenses bc im not the only one that uses the camera. my gf uses it and sometimes my friends will use it (with me supervising).
my gf has left it on the floor before and i didnt notice until something hit the lens, but i had the uv filter on it, so the lens didnt get hit with it.

from what i have read the sensor is still sensitive to uv rays, it was explained to me that the sensor is like your eye, yes you can look directly into the sunlight, but theres going to be consequences.

i rarely shoot directly in the direction of the sun, but sometimes, theres no other choice, or its what makes the picture.

either way, i would put one on while you are learning the camera and how to car for it.
chances are your pics arent going to be what you want them to be until you learn the camera so that cheap piece of glass in front of your expensive lens wont do you any harm.

heres a forum i suggest to anybody thats looking to do/learn photography, i have learned a lot from this site, there are a lot of professionals that are regulars on this site and have no problem helping out noobs.
The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Did you even read my post? The only reason I suggested a filter was to protect the lens from accidental abuse. I currently advise a yearbook staff of 30 15-18 year old students who have been given everything in life and have virtually no respect for property because mommy and daddy will replace it no questions asked.

My reasoning for suggesting it was simply because over my 9 years advising I have had no less than three instances where students were careless with the camera/lens and the filter came back broken but the lens survived. That "not needed" filter saved me the cost of buying a lens or most likely in my case taking that camera out of use beause I do not have an unlimited budget to replace camera parts.

I simply put it out there as a precautionary tactic as he may or may not be new to using a dslr camera. Don't discredit my suggestion simply because you don't believe in it. I was not the only one to suggest it btw. Let him make the choice.

Last time I checked, get_nick treated his things very well, and wasn't a spoiled teenager.

Last time I checked, get_nick treated his things very well, and wasn't a spoiled teenager.

I wasn't comparing him to a spoiled teenager. Ah forget it - I guess I am just wasting my breath. I just hope that if he even thinks about letting somebody else hold it that he watches them like a hawk.

get_nick, which ever model you get enjoy it - I love mine. I hope you have as much fun with it as I do the learning will never end and neither will the opportunities to get that ultimate shot.

thank you. rep'd
haha, thanks for the support.
get_nick, which ever model you get enjoy it - I love mine. I hope you have as much fun with it as I do the learning will never end and neither will the opportunities to get that ultimate shot.
i'm excited to start taking pictures. when i was younger i wanted to be a sports photographer. now i just like taking pictures of stuff. i want to decorate my condo with my own pictures. i think it would be awesome. i'll be sure to post some pictures on here when i do.

i have the Olympus e330 and its a wonderful camera, tons of Olympus Zuiko Digital lenses available to it too

it was an $1100 dollar camera when they still sold it.. i got it for $400, 2 months old

I just bought an XSi with the 18-55 kit lense. Waiting on UPS to deliver it in the next few days.

Been wanting one for a while now, finally had enough of the point n shoot.

Back