Help with engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MTBBoy

hi am new to this forum looking for some advice i have a 1998 civic ls vtec (D15Z6). i have been offered a crx with a B16A engine not 100% sure if its a A1 or A2 i was looking to put this engine into my civic i was wondering how much work would i be looking at to put it in thanks for any help in advance ^_^

First of all, you don't have an ls/vtec. You have a minime. ls/vtec = b18 non-vtec block with either a b16 or gsr vtec head. If it's an A2 it will be stamped on the block right next to the serial. if it's an odb2 engine it's really simple. you need the rear tranny mount, and b-series axles. everythin else bolts up, and plugs in. if it's obd1 you either have to convert the engine to obd2 or the car to obd1 (good luck with emissions if you convert it to 1) it's basically illegal to put an engine older than the engine that's in it. but you can get away with it if you don't have emissions testing.

hi am new to this forum looking for some advice i have a 1998 civic ls vtec (D15Z6). i have been offered a crx with a B16A engine not 100% sure if its a A1 or A2 i was looking to put this engine into my civic i was wondering how much work would i be looking at to put it in thanks for any help in advance ^_^

Huh?

Like the guy above me said, you don't have an LS/Vtec if you have a D15Z6--which, by the way, doesn't exist. Maybe a mini-me, but if that was the case, you would have known that it wasn't an LSV. And why would you put a D15 block with a Z6 head into an EK chassis when you could have just left the D16Y8 in there?

I recommend you look through this:

https://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-engine-list-29128/

You have a lot of learning to do.

it is a D15Z6

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

D15Z6

• VTEC
  • Found in:
    • 1995-2000 Honda Civic 1.5 iLS (European Market)
      • Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
      • Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 84.5 mm (3.0 in × 3.3 in)
      • Rod Length : 137 mm
      • Compression : 9.6:1
      • Power : 115 hp (86 kW) @ 6500 rpm
      • Torque : 100 ft·lbf (141 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
      • VTEC Switchover : 2500 rpm
      • Valvetrain : SOHC VTEC (4 valves per cylinder)
      • Fuel Control : OBD2a PGM-FI MPFI
      ok i will do plenty of reading up and see how i get on thanks for the help

I don't know if it would be legal or not for your emissions.

OBD1 is the most common route, find out the obd of the engine, its most likely 0. However what OBD you can use will depend on your local/country laws

You will not be able to use the transmission with the b16 since its likely cable since its from a crx. You need a hydraulic to make the swap easier.

the ecu will be of no use since you will likely need to convert which means the distributor will need changed.

mounts for the swap and shift linkage, axels.

and of course read what phyregod posted.

ok thanks for the help i will be going back to see the car in a few days hopfully find out exactly what engine it is

I have done this swap before. You have the econ vtec 1.5. Your harness can be used on the b16a2. If its obd1 you'll need to change the dizzy plugs. You will have to change the alt plug not matter what as the 1.5 harness has a diff plug to the b series alt. You will also have to add in a wire for the vtec pressure switch if the b16 your getting has that. Some of them dont have it. If the engine dosn't have it you'll need to do a bypass by pinning the vtec pressure switch wire to the vtec solinoid wire.

Hope this helps.

Back