Hondata Bash

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Smonkeyboy

maybe its just me but iv been reading a lot about the "hondata stage 4" ECU and i think, while it is a cool invention. it makes it so any idiot with a mobile left foot can race like a pro.

wouldnt it piss you off to lose a race to a 16 year old who cant drive for shit but got a stage 4 and beat you because of it.

(either that or im a total dipshit)

it really has nothing to do with that.

hondata is about tuning... not about making your car super fast

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Oct 2 2002, 02:35 AM

wouldnt it piss you off to lose a race to a 16 year old who cant drive for shit but got a stage 4 and beat you because of it.

and even if there was some revolutionary thing that made everyone 'race like a pro,' wouldnt you want one so you could compete with all the 16yr olds who cant drive for shit? heh.

technology ownz.

hondata still doesn't shift the car for you, or launch it for that fact...
it will hold revs where you want them... but clutch release is critical on the launch.. and even electronics can't do that... but my friend does have a locking mechanism on his tranny and nails 503 lights on the regular... he always says if you've got a love for 503 lights and a hate for tranny casings to get one

i see your point. it just seemed that other than origionally tuning it its a piece of cake.

(and i do love 503 lights)

wtf? how is it alwasy 503? even if you hit it- you still need to jump the gun, as human reaction time IS about a half second

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Oct 2 2002, 04:06 PM
technology ownz.

hondata still doesn't shift the car for you, or launch it for that fact...
it will hold revs where you want them... but clutch release is critical on the launch.. and even electronics can't do that... but my friend does have a locking mechanism on his tranny and nails 503 lights on the regular... he always says if you've got a love for 503 lights and a hate for tranny casings to get one

I'm assumeing this person possibly has an automatic tranny. IF so the locking mechanism is called a trans brake. The car is actually in drive but doesn't turn the output shaft , something is done to the internal valve body in the tanny to make this work. You can then put your foot on the gas, hold the motor at a rev limit and then when ready to launch, hit the switch and go. it's totally not like doin a neutral drop

nope its a 5 speed. i'm going to ask him what it is... yea there is still some human error involved, but it's better than 690 lights and what not

how a tranny brake works: you have the vehicle in drive... or first if you feel like running the gears. you hold down the tranny brake button, which activates a sylenoid in the valve body that physically puts the tranny in both drive and reverse at the same time. by doing this you have brought the tranny up to speed by it spinning freely while its in fact still in gear- which is critical if any of you have seen the internals of an automatic transmission "holy rotating mass..." theres a lot of shit in there... when you let off the button it disengages reverse and you're already in drive so off you go a happy camper... its like a neutral drop without the mess and harshness. with this weapon an automatic ANYTHING can be a bracket racing monster.

You never hear about people using trans brakes in imports (at least I don't), and I've always wondered about it. Is there any reason it woudln't work? It would help alot of people who want quicker launches from their daily drivers but still want to be able to sit in traffic for 3 hours without having to concern themselves with a manual transmission.

Back