how do i seperate a oem shock to remover a oem spr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brasilianstreet

well i just got neuspeed race lowering springs in and i tried to install them todai but couldnt seperate the shock or open the shock to remove spring. i got the shock off the car and all but i dont know how to open the shock or whatever to take the spring out and i got a spring compressor also. can anyone help me?

take em to CSK or check parts stores- alot of times they have spring compressors in store or at least ones you can rent. just be careful if you do it yourself.

you more or less have to use an impact to remove the nut on the top side, and be sure you have the spring compressed enough when you do it otherwise things can get dangerous

use a pair of vise grips in between the spring coils and clamp the strut rod and then try to unscrew the nut on the upper bearing plate

well i dont got any vice grips right now but you basically want me to hold the top of the rod so it doesnt spin when i try to untighten the screw right? but should i do this with the shock out of the car or just screwed by the trunk on the car?also i realized that when i try to untighten the top screw the bolt or what ever the screw screws onto spins along with it and i can seem to be able to hold one and spin the screw

well i dont got any vice grips right now but you basically want me to hold the top of the rod so it doesnt spin when i try to untighten the screw right?
yes and do it out of the car if its easier
first you have to use a spring comp to ease some of the tension from the strut and upper bearing plate. second you want to clamp the vise grips as tight as you can on the shiny strut rod to keep it from spinning and you want to make sure the grips are facing the right way(the bite on them IS directional). third you remove the 17mm or 19mm nut on the upper bearing plate(rear may use 14mm). you may need a friend to use an extra set of vise grips or channel lock pliers. if it still spins then you're gonna have to use an air gun on the nut. if u dont have air then take it to your local muffler shop and bribe some guy for $10 or somethin..

lol tru, well i got a electrical gun thats connects into the cigerette lighter in the car i guess ill try that but vice grips i think im confused but are they the little plastic thing that when you pull it to close it does the scrrr sound lol sorry but it happens sometimes

Originally posted by brasilianstreet@Mar 31 2004, 07:32 PM
but vice grips i think im confused but are they the little plastic thing that when you pull it to close it does the scrrr sound

:huh: ... wtf?.. you've totally lost me homie.. vise grips, you know adjustable pliers that clamp and hold shit?.. :unsure:

EDIT: somebody post a pic of some vise grips! lol

ooo shyt yea now i remmeber yea i got some in the garage imma try that than lol thanks homeboy imma let you know if any problems with it than

unless you replace the strut i dont reccomend putting vise grips on the rod because you will mar the rod up and damage the seal for the shock and thus, they will blow out in no time. Get an impact and otherwise by the sounds of it you should really just pay someone that knows what they are doing to do this.

Originally posted by driver1@Mar 31 2004, 08:21 PM
unless you replace the strut i dont reccomend putting vise grips on the rod because you will mar the rod up and damage the seal for the shock and thus, they will blow out in no time. Get an impact and otherwise by the sounds of it you should really just pay someone that knows what they are doing to do this.

shup. it'll be fine. stick to sniffing paint fumes :p j/k
it will be ok tho ;)

No... scratch the shaft of the shock and you're done. That's it. Don't clamp down on the shaft unless you're going to throw the shock away.

and no you don't need to use an impact. every strut has something that allows you to hold it in place. sometimes it is 2 flat spots in the threads at the top that allow you to use pliers to hold it in place. or more common at the very top there is a hex hole for an allen wrench.

its all good now i went today after school to my auto mechanics teachers class roiom and i used his compressor and air gun soooooo much easier than using my rented compressor and some set of tools lol but anyways car looks real nice will post up pics in a couple days . thankz everyone for helping me out

Yeah, the hex hole works wonders because that exactly how you're supposed to do it. Or just spin the bish off with an impact. That's what I did :)

Originally posted by HellBentHONDA+Mar 31 2004, 09:32 PM-->
@Mar 31 2004, 08:21 PM

shup. it'll be fine. stick to sniffing paint fumes :p j/k
it will be ok tho ;)

I'm glad someone told this guy to not use the vice grips, I was reading through, and I was thinking, "hope this guy hasn't done this yet..." As everyone has said, you scratch the shaft, the shock will blow out in no time.

Ian

fucktards :p most of you only know what you read here or at honda-tech. or maybe you replaced a set on your car. ive replaced probably a hundred struts at least and it'll be fine! they're stock with over 100K or at least close which means they're probably already leaking or they're about to. besides when you clamp towards the top, it'll never even see the inside of the strut :lol:
rest assured that if i post something about brakes or suspension i aint blowin smoke homies ;) your loving caring friend,
HellBent :D

EDIT:and they're STRUTS!! not shocks

Back