How many people...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm a diesel tech. It's a decent living, but the parts ARE heavy. Just like any other job, get good at what you do. If you're known to be an ace, you'll draw the good jobs, while the part-swappers get the nasty old wheel seals. The downside of that is that brakes and clutches and stuff pay well, while some vague driveability issue may eat your lunch (working flat-rate).

Flat rate can be a bitch. thats why I pay my guys by the hour on that sort of job. I would rather make less money and have happy employees. How long have you been a diesel tech?

Flat rate can be a bitch. thats why I pay my guys by the hour on that sort of job. I would rather make less money and have happy employees. How long have you been a diesel tech?

since '95. ASE master since '97. I actually work hourly now, for a freight company.

I just got a design engineer position at honda r&d starting in January. I'll be working on developing all of the honda/acura dealer accessories.

Didn't you just get that job? Why are you wanting to leave it already?

/threadjack
Job use to be fun/cool but think of it like this... Driving an M3 is cool. Do it for 40+ hours a week. It will eventually get old and repetitive. And these trains are no where near as cool as an M. I can't even decide which way I'm going to turn.

While training I had pretty regular hours. Now I'm a Junior Operator. Its shift work. The Hudson Bergen Light Rail doesn't run from 2am-4am. That's it. Makes for some shitty shifts and guess who is on the bottom of the totem pole? I'm actually what they call extra board. I work a different shift almost every day and it changes every week. I'm a fill in for people who are sick, on vacation, or on disability. The only good part about my schedule is that my weekend is Thurs.-Fri. But other than that I'm at work or sitting at home by myself because everyone else is at work/asleep. I'm burning myself out. I work 5 days with little contact with friends and family and then I tend to go wild on my 2 days off.

Not to mention there is no challenge or satisfaction to what I do. No finished product, no trouble shooting, nothing changes. Moving asshats from A to B on time. And a monkey can keep a train on time. Yet some people can't do it and fall so far behind they make me late. Yet they get paid more than me(I'm at a probationary rate) and get better jobs than me (seniority). No real incentive to be "great" at my job.

I think I need something 9-5ish, Mon.-Fri. with incentives/commissions. However with the current state of things a Union job isn't the worse.

Last edited:
What was your degree in? I may be able to give some insight.

I work on Aircraft Support Equipment for the Navy. Towtractors, Airconditioners, Generators and a lot of other things.

Damn. Sounded promising. I would love to serve my country. I'll be in line right behind all these politician's sons. Maybe then they would give a shit about them.

Job use to be fun/cool but think of it like this... Driving an M3 is cool. Do it for 40+ hours a week. It will eventually get old and repetitive.

no way. :)
i probably do almost 20 hours a week (12-14 comuting, 2-4 on the weekends,night, etc)

i love that car. :)

I think I need something 9-5ish, Mon.-Fri. with incentives/commissions. However with the current state of things a Union job isn't the worse.

BA in Communications. Advertising.

get your ass up to the city. there's tons of jobs still

I might as well turn wrenches for a living. If I'm not working on my car, I'm working on a buddies, or another project that I've got going on. It never quits.

Doing it for a living can take the fun out of it. It's a lot different than working on friends cars.

get your ass up to the city. there's tons of jobs still

Ya man. Don't listen to all the doom and gloom bullshit. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Just don't work in the housing or mortgage industry...for now at least.

Seriously. It doesn't normally involve beer, chain smoking, masturbation breaks, fast food runs, etc. thus, the fun is removed.

Back