How many people...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fernpatch

So I have been wondering for a while now, how many people on this site turn a wrench for a living? Or for that matter how many people have a job related to cars? (ie autoparts store etc.) I myself have my own auto repair shop in Ferndale, WA. Any one else car to post up what they do?

i dont do anything. lol
but soon ill be going to school to be a mechanic or a diesel mechanic.
i want to just be a regular mechanic, but with the way the car industry is heading it would probably be smarter to become a diesel mechanic.

i dont do anything. lol
but soon ill be going to school to be a mechanic or a diesel mechanic.
i want to just be a regular mechanic, but with the way the car industry is heading it would probably be smarter to become a diesel mechanic.

I hear that... The biggest thing that sucks about being a diesel tech is that the parts are really big and heavy. I know a few guys at the motor trucks shop down the road from me, they all walk and stand a little funny because there backs are shot. Definitely go to school and learn it right if you plan on doing this for a living. Good luck.

is that a definite number?

and yeah, thats partially why id rather become a regular mechanic.
i mean, needing a fucking crane to lift an engine and shit.. lol too much.
plus id like to be able to work on my own car.
my dad was a truck driver though, and i know the money to be made in the business.

is it the same general things?
like, i understand there will be some differences, but i mean.. an engines an engine right?

So I have been wondering for a while now, how many people on this site turn a wrench for a living? Or for that matter how many people have a job related to cars? (ie autoparts store etc.) I myself have my own auto repair shop in Ferndale, WA. Any one else car to post up what they do?

I might as well turn wrenches for a living. If I'm not working on my car, I'm working on a buddies, or another project that I've got going on. It never quits.

I might as well turn wrenches for a living. If I'm not working on my car, I'm working on a buddies, or another project that I've got going on. It never quits.

:werd: I worked at a Goodyear store for a while doing all kinds of stuff, but I got sick of going to work working other peoples stuff then coming home and working on mine, I just got really burnt out on it.

i turn a wrench for a living, but its on boats, not cars.... i work on outboards mostly, but also gas inboard and i/o, and i do just a little bit of maintenance on diesels. engines that live in saltwater yay!!

i dont like working on cars unless its my own, cars are dirty and a pita. im about to put a new head on my brothers jeep, should be fun... never worked on jeep before :D

i work for a silicone company i mostly do shiping and receiving stuff. but i do alot of basic mechanic work on friends cars.....

i build helicopter engines, that close enough?

Pratt and Whitney PT6T series engines :)

PT6TTwinPacMedium.jpg

I'm a diesel tech. It's a decent living, but the parts ARE heavy. Just like any other job, get good at what you do. If you're known to be an ace, you'll draw the good jobs, while the part-swappers get the nasty old wheel seals. The downside of that is that brakes and clutches and stuff pay well, while some vague driveability issue may eat your lunch (working flat-rate).

Back