How much do you pay for martial arts training?

• Thread starter Thread starter get_nick
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 2K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

weapons fighting only makes sense if you can incorporate it into your actual life

for instance stick and staff training would be good if you tend to spend a lot of time in pool halls, where you are likely to have something you could easily improvise with

as jeff said theres not much point in learning a weapon you realistically will never actually use

unless you are learning it strictly for the fun / show factor... in which case i highly recommend the chain whip... that shit just looks badass

for instance stick and staff training would be good if you tend to spend a lot of time in pool halls, where you are likely to have something you could easily improvise with

I agree with the bo staff, however anyone who has used a staff that isn't for speed/show knows its 6ft tall and around 1" thick, also its pretty darn heavy.
Almost everytime I see a bo its nothing more then a show bo that can be spun around really fast. It's great for whipping people. they sting but wont drop you unless you get poked.

Anyways, if I'm in a pool hall and a fight starts, I'm not going to pick up a pool stick and swing it around, I'm going to jam my hand into the guys throat and throw him.

hands > weapons. even more so when you go to court for attacking someone with a weapon. if you're trained in martial arts and could easily take care of the problem in a safer manner weapons should only be a factor in a life/death kind of fight. If not you'll just get some jail time for your actions.

Filipino stick fighting is cool but only if you're into the "sport" side of things.
Just like TKD or points style Karate.

In real life by the time you figure out your in a fight and pick up 2 sticks that are the right size and start swinging them around, you could have easily countered his attack and thrown, submitted, choked out.... list goes on.

Last edited:
i just want to do muay thai because i'm tall and lanky. i want to learn to use my knees and elbows. . plus i think it would be good physical conditioning.

Best way to learn to fight is experience. Go to a bar and pretend to be wasted drunk, then find a guy who looks tough and insult his girlfriend/mother or spill a drink on him, whatever it takes to get him to swing at you.
There you go, an intense workout AND the benefit of learning how to fight through real life experience, all for free :thumbsup:
I've been in plenty of fights in my life. But there is a huge difference between starting fights and ending a fight. I have never started a fight. It's far too dangerous. I know plenty of friends who carry weapons (sometimes myself as well) and I just don't feel like getting my jaw broke or getting stabbed.

Most schools, at least in my area offer 1 free class, go try out a couple of them and see which you like best.

Back