Martial Arts.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dude, that's a cool technique. I'm going to have to remember that one. :D
Really what it's use for is to gain distance. If someone closes in on you so you can't get a punch/kick off, maybe they're trying to take you down, you can easily bicep bump (thats the term for it) someone and knock them back a few feet.

Take a friend of yours and have them stand up like normal. Try doing it to their arm. it wont really hurt (neck yes arm no) but it should EASILY knock them back a few feet. enough for you to attack. However when having fun. it's fun to get closer into a guy because then they can't do jack shit other then grab you and if you're trained in grappling, as with throws and take downs, it only gives you a 1 up.

as far as kicking out the knee, I train to kick the back of the knee, it's a control thing. Kicking the front or side of the knee is great for putting someone out of order,however if you're trying to submit a person you really need to work with that person and make them do what you want them to do, If I'm going to choke someone whos taller then me the first thing I do is get a hold of the guy and then take his knee out (hitting from the back to the front) it wont hurt the guy but it will get the person to drop a good 2 feet, enough for their head to be around my chest area, at this point you can easily choke someone with max force leaning them backwards while doing the choke.

It really does suck when someone knows how to grapple both standing up/on the ground. It's one of those things you either counter it before they apply the move or you're @#$@#$ed

patric2.jpg

Once you get your arm around the guys neck, you'd kick the back of his knee to get him to sink down like that, from there you're set!

In my last post I was talking about a different type of choke where you'd go at it from the front side.

Here are the answers.

First, physical weapons.
1) You have 8-10 different weapons on your hand, depending on art, what are they and what techniques might they relate to?

a. The first two knuckles. Punching, lines the first knuckle up perfectly with the radius.
b. The backside of the first two knuckles/back of the hand. Backfist
c. The last three knuckles. Boxing style punch, often leads to broken bones in the hand ("boxer's fractures").
d. The finger tips. Pressure point striking.
e. The outside edge of the hand. Knife-hand/ridge-hand/karate chop
f. The inside egde of the hand. Opposite of the above.
g. The outside of the hand, with fist. Hammer fist strike, outside/inside block
h. The inside of the hand, with fist. Opposite of the above.
i. The plam of the hand. Plam thrust, plam punch.
j. The heel of the hand. Palm thrust upper-cut, often used in Tiger Sytle Kung Fu.

2) There are six weapons on the foot, what are they and what techinques do they relate to?

a. The ball of the foot. Front kick, round(house) kick, crescent kicks.
b. The heel. Heel kick, hook kick, back kick, crescent kicks, axe kick, along with their spinning and jumping variations.
c. The blade edge of the heel. Side kick, inside/outside crescent kick to the face.
d. The instep. Outside/inside crescent kick to the face, kick block (kick your opponent's shin before he can chamber his kick.)
e. The arch/top of foot. Head high round(house) kick.
f. The flat of the foot. Mule kick, chest kick, slappning kicks with crescent kicks.

3) What is the proper way to throw a front kick and what is the weapon?

Bend your knees to drop your weight and ground yourself, bring the knee up to the chest, create and aim the proper weapon, and thrust the kick with the hips. The weapon, as mentioned above, is the ball of the foot. If you swing the kick up from the ground you stand a good chance of breaking your toes/foot. If you snap the kick from the knee, you're not only using a swinging motion but you're also hyperextending the knee. If you try to muscle the kick you'll lose a significant amount of speed.

4) What is the proper chambered position for a round(house) kick and what angle should that be in comparison to the floor?

Assuming a back leg round kick with the right leg. Supporting knee bent, right hip pointing at your target, chambered leg is fully flexed, parallel (180*) to the ground, and the weapon is already formed. This is also the return position after the kick has been delivered.

5) Staying with the round kick, you have three weapon options, what are they, what target could you each on, and why?

From top to bottom. Use the arch of the foot to kick to the head, the ball of the foot to kick to the body, and the shin or ball of the foot for a leg kick.

6) Can you describe the push/pull action of punching and what it's purpose is?

In traditional martial arts, you'll always see one hand extended in a punch and the other back by the ribs. You throw the chambered fist forward you pull the extended fist back, using the same but opposite twisting action of the punching hand. The pull action allows you to throw your punch without having to use arm strength to stop it because it opens your chest up and physically stops the punching hand at full extension. Obviously you don't want to do this in a fight or even in sparring, it's just for training. In a fight your target will usually stop your punch.

7) What is the source of power (this one should be a gimme)?

The hips. They're the single largest structure in the body. I'm actually surprised the wrestlers didn't get this one.

Any martial artist worth their salt understands joint manipulation, even if they don't grapple.
1) If you want to control somebody's wrist, where do you grab? (even a lot of cops get this one wrong)

The palm of your hand on the back of their hand is the most simple technique. But the answer is, you grab before the wrist, not on the wrist or behind the wrist. You can only control the wrist when you're in front of it. Most police officers are trained to grab the wrist with one hand and then transfer the control to the other. This is wasted motion.

2) How do you control an entire arm with your thumb?

Palm to palm, your fingers wrap about the outside of your opponents, their pinky finger is bent in its normal range of motion, and you apply backwards pressure (towards the elbow) from there. Lock that in and all but the toughest man becomes a pussy cat because all you have to do to break his finger is push a little harder.

3) Is it more effective to go down on the ground for an armbar (in a street fight) or to control the wrist, elbow, and shoulder with minimal effort from your hands while still on your feet?

Everyone got this one right.

4) How would one accomplish that?

The grab from question one, push the hand straight back and up towards their armpit. This is only one of many techniques.

5) Someone bigger and/or stronger than you grabs your wrist/forearm, how do you escape? (no striking of any kind allowed for this one, including pressure points.)

Formby got this one on the nose. If you pull straight away or tense up you'll make your attacker grab tighter. What you have to do is relax and make a quick, snapping action towards the thumb. You'll never win against the army (the four fingers) but you can easy defeat the single soldier (the thumb). Brute strength means jack shit against someone with proper technique.

wow this took me back

I've broken many a board with a side kick, can't say I've ever used the "blade edge" of anything. But I might just be mis-understanding. The plain old heel is the best bang for your buck in my oponion

the term for #5 in the second section is "weak link", but I guess just saying that hardly explains it

and #1 in joint manipulation is the starting point to the greatest limb lock of the all, the "chicken wing". It is common knowlege in any school of martial arts that once applied, the chicken wing will allow you to make your victum say whatever you want. To include all manner of self degrading exclimation and animals noises :bo:

Last edited:
patric2.jpg

Once you get your arm around the guys neck, you'd kick the back of his knee to get him to sink down like that, from there you're set!

In my last post I was talking about a different type of choke where you'd go at it from the front side.
ooo...i like...lol

TKD is an Olympic sport that has rules.

TKD means no grabs, no throws, no take downs.

I study Traditional Karate in other words, anything open handed.
From eye flicks, ear biting, to throws, to take downs, to ground work to.... you name it. we pretty much take the bible for martial arts and study it page in and page out. the goal is to understand how people react and how to get people do what you want them to do. Nothing is "wrong" and no one way is right.

The choke he's doing is nothing more then a simple outside block. at least it's one of the many applications for one, This choke is a pretty basic choke.

How many people take martial arts and NEVER learn or understand what a kata or waza is?
Most schools never teach the applications for anything. you do a kata, then kick, and punch 100 times. yay!

The guy in the back is using his left hand to grab the right hand in a simple joint lock (see picture) the guy in front has his right hand (the one being joint locked) forced into his neck, then the guy in the back just does a simple outside block pushing up and out (to the right) the other guys right elbow, this causes all the pressure to get pushed (if done right) into the right carotid artery, doesn't take long, and trust me once it's applied you're not doing to much other then hoping to get an eyeball like you said but really, there's not much you can do once it's applied, you're gone in seconds.

about the picture.

Thumb goes between the 4th and 5th knuckle, the rest of your fingers will grab the inside of the palm, push with the thumb and pull with the fingers.

This is a very very very simple take down, If someone grabs your shirt, lets say with their right hand, just trap the hand with your right hand, grab with your thumb and fingers were I listed and either spit in the guys face or stump his foot, (distraction) then twist the hand across your body to the right. The guy WILL follow. if you pull it towards the ground, the guy will follow. EASY take down. Once he's down, you have the guys arm and can do many many many different things from running away (self defense move) or mounting his back, or just stand over top him if his wrist is torqued his face will be planted in the ground ( I speak from experience both giving and receiving, since you'll be directly over top the guy you could easily kick him in the back of the nick.

I'd only do that in a 4 to 1 kind of fight when in fear of my life.

Attachments

• DSC03058.JPG
    DSC03058.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
By the way. Easiest, and by far, most effective way to get out of a sleeper hold. Take the arm that is on the same side as your attacker and move your hand up towards their neck (your hand is backwards here, so youre not going for a choke). Once there, form an L with your index finger and thumb and push it right under their jaw. The natural reaction for the attacker is to move his head out of its normal position and try to roll away from the movement. Once the attacker rolls away, its a perfect opportunity for a guillotine choke on your part. NOW. once you are out of the sleeper hold, I HIGHLY recommend you release your opponent....especially if he has the ability to toss you around. Both ways that you end up getting that guillotine choke are very dangerous, and can ultimately lead to you taking a few shots you hadnt planned on. But, most cases (read: against less experience fighters) they realize that they just got hosed and stop fighting when they cant breathe.

My dad taught me that one when i was in like 7th grade. Worked every time. Akido is a great weapon for a kid...especially since its very easy to learn (dont think that means you can have the skill of a master in a short time) and if taught correctly its a non-brutal way to end a fight.

People don't seem to understand how a sleeper hold works, if it's applied correctly it will put you out in a matter of seconds. if not instantly.

I'm not talking about your buddies playing around with you but a person on the street that puts you in it and wants to put you out. Bottom line, once he sinks it on, you're done. You have to counter the sleeper as with any blood choke BEFORE it's put on.

If you want to come to Maryland I'll put a sleeper hold or any blood choke on you and you can try to get out before you pass out. (it's kinda fun lol )

Anyone who trains with chokes and has been put into a chok to the point of drifting off or getting dizzy in about 1 second. you'll understand what I mean by you need to get out before it's applied.

Thankfully most people don't know what the fudge they're doing and wont apply it right and you'll be able to struggle with it and do as you said.

People don't seem to understand how a sleeper hold works, if it's applied correctly it will put you out in a matter of seconds. if not instantly.

I'm not talking about your buddies playing around with you but a person on the street that puts you in it and wants to put you out. Bottom line, once he sinks it on, you're done. You have to counter the sleeper as with any blood choke BEFORE it's put on.

If you want to come to Maryland I'll put a sleeper hold or any blood choke on you and you can try to get out before you pass out. (it's kinda fun lol )

Anyone who trains with chokes and has been put into a chok to the point of drifting off or getting dizzy in about 1 second. you'll understand what I mean by you need to get out before it's applied.

Thankfully most people don't know what the fudge they're doing and wont apply it right and you'll be able to struggle with it and do as you said.

Believe me i know what your talking about. If applied correctly, ive only stayed conscious for 3 seconds. Its kinda sad, but when all that blood stays in your head, youre hosed.

We train the same ways, no rules. Self defense means anything goes if it means getting out alive.

but, again if someone sinks a blood choke on you, knows what they're doing and have intent to keep you there, you could stick your finger in his eye, again if he knows what he's doing he wont just let up. He'll pull harder and out you'll go.
It's one of those in the moment things, like getting in a major car crash and breaking tons of bones, chances are you'll be pumped and get out and walk around before falling over.

Thankfully 90%+ of the people out there have no clue or very little idea of whats going on. Being that you know what's going on chances are the guy would never get you into a sleeper move in the first place. It just falls down to a if a guy fully sinks a choke or submission on you you're pretty much fucked, no matter what training you have, unless the guy slips up and gives you too much room to work with but then that wouldn't be labeled as a (fully sinked in move) As always the best way to get out of a choke/grab is to not get into it in the first place.

I really need to study Aikido. That's so simple that it's badass. It makes pefect sense because there's a shitload of lymph nodes in that area.

Hi i am from the uk and have been training for about 23 year's and have trained in a lot of different systems where be it Japanese Korean or what ever you may do!! and for meet some of the great masters in the world, the one thing that i have learn is that if you start to look in to where your art started you will see that they are all link to one and another and it is what work well for that person!!! my own belief are they all have there good points and there bad point but all do the same job and that’s this to help people how to defend them self!!!

Back