how much nitrous is too much?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well i wouldnt go that far my friend (hondafan91), Nitrous is very useful, but if your rings are not gapped for nitrous and you are running stock pistons, it really is a matter of time before you blow your engine. If you build your car to run nitrous, you can run it for years without a problem. Look at the c6 vette that runs at our track. He just put in new rings and a 200 shot of nitrous. Runs 2 to 3 times a week with nitrous and this has been going on for close to (if not over) one year. Nitrous has proven to be benificial or people wouldnt do it.

well i wouldnt go that far my friend (hondafan91), Nitrous is very useful, but if your rings are not gapped for nitrous and you are running stock pistons, it really is a matter of time before you blow your engine. If you build your car to run nitrous, you can run it for years without a problem. Look at the c6 vette that runs at our track. He just put in new rings and a 200 shot of nitrous. Runs 2 to 3 times a week with nitrous and this has been going on for close to (if not over) one year. Nitrous has proven to be benificial or people wouldnt do it.

you know<_< i thought about repling to the previous post but since i saw it was his first i figures i'd let him read on. He's right hondafan91. Its all in what you use and how you use it. I've got a forged bottom end which i heard is nitrous friendly. Also if you read our previous post i was undecided on what type of shot. wet,dry, direct port? not to mention the most important of all. TUNING! thats the mistake alot of newbies and ricers make. they just fiddle with timing and go get themselves a big bottle of NAWS..........wait a minute make it 2 big bottles. :lol:

so to comfort you alittle. i'm not running nitrous anythime soon. i'm going even more dangerous............going HIGH compression. ohhh yeah. wel at least thats what i'm thinking about:D

you know me, i cant let comments like that go without correction.

i used to do stuff like that (and still do from time to time) but after ive spent the better part of this year either under the hood or reading up on tuning and power adders, i feel a little bit more comfortable talking about how these setup's should go.

This place is a really good spot for information regarding power adders and tuning...along with pgmfi.org.

yeah well. i dont know that much so thats why i keep my mouth shut. even if i know i'm right i just agree and let it be.
so....... you think getting higher compression really wont make a difference with what i have now? i know it will, i mean noticable power gains like quicker responce,more torque. I'm sure the skunk3 cams will love it. I'm at 11.3.1 right now. I would think the 1 layer will put me close to 11.8.1

it you change cams, yeah, itll definitely be a noticable difference (at the track). your top end will feel amazing (even though the engine will sound like its had enough).

Skunk2 stage 3s like high comp and high rpms. the more of either, the better itll feel and respond.

well i have skunk2 stage 2 cams already. unfortuatley i dont have the dimensions if the piston to calculate my compression. I bought the kit from''super engine builders'' it was an entire rotsting assembly with 11.3.1 compression piston with oem 3 layer. all i know is they are .020 over sized. I tried callin and emailing and they wont respond. i kinda want to know asap on what to do since my motor will be out of my car for ahwile and i'll ave time to mess with it.

im runnin a 110 shot on my 93 ls integra and im doin great....then again my compression ratio is only a 9.3.1 and its a completely stock motor on the inside. I'm runnin 8.3's in the 1/8th

if your doing it right then yeah its ok. the question still remains.all motor high compression or 11.3.1 nitrous(if possible).

im gonna say dont go past a 50 shot if even that cuz that is really risky if u ask me......thats what i wont do turbo and nitrous cuz if i turbo'd my car it'd be about the same compression ur at

im gonna say dont go past a 50 shot if even that cuz that is really risky if u ask me......thats what i wont do turbo and nitrous cuz if i turbo'd my car it'd be about the same compression ur at

well 75 shot was gonna be my choice. then i saw all these different kits and ways to tune and run the nitrous. with that said i know my car can handle the 75 direct port shot.

Heres my dilema. I've got lsvtec close to 200whp. I could raise the compression and see how much i can get out of it. along with other boltons of course. OR updrade fuel system and spend money on a direct port kit and tune. both cost money. the only one i can afford right know is the headgasket:(. I just want to make up my mind because once i raise the cmpression i'm not going to tear the head off again. Im gonna continue until i get my K motor.....which will be in acouple years^_^

if you wanna take the risk and you are positive you can handle it then go for it. im runnin a 110 dry shot and im not even the slightest bit worried. i know my motor can handle it cuz my timing and fuel and all that is set for it even in the parts in my motor arent. and its a dry shot so nothin blowin up is gonna go past the intake manifold. my b18A1 is at 183whp w/o the spray and with the nitrous its at 257whp and 325lbs of torque

Okay I know you can spray at least a 75 shot wet or direct port on 11:3:1 because I have sprayed a 75 shot on 11:8:1 motor with jdm b16 pistons before and it held for two years no problem. But the key is tunning and I also ran a digital 6 msd box for the high speed retard. So when off the bottle I had 225 whp and on it had 295 whp. You just need a good turner and good fuel management. We also had to use colder plugs and step the fuel jets up. To get it right but took it no problem. I'm also selling another motor now with a shot on it with jdm itr pistons no problems. You just need a good turner , I mean look at people who have turboed there cars with 11:1 compression you can do it but you have littile room for era. You have to have a good turner and you will be alright. Many times people are scared of nitrous because there friend blew up there motors or they themselves have blew motors up not doing it correct. We have a car that has skunk2 stage 3 in it spraying a 100-shot in a b20 on stock sleeves with 11:5:1 compression cast iron pistons and he drives it every day. Read up on nitrous , get a good kit, plus get a purge, bottle warmer, blanket, great turner like cft or who ever, a block guard while the head is off, and fuel like a fuel pump and fpr. Just be smart don't be stupid and spray at 2000rpm and wonder why it blows up or have 87 octane fuel in your car. People do stupid stuff and always blame it on nitrous or other people. Don't retard the timing of the car or even hot plugs. And you can spray in any gear and skunk2 stage2 cams love nitrous. And the dyno is brutal on your car but you need to make sure your air/fuel is right and timing you want to see where you are making power and where it falls off at. The dyno also helps with the tune of the car. So don't get discourage if you blew up your last motor on the dyno then that means either you had problems with the motor some where or a bad turner. Also sometimes things happen but don't give up faith just put it back together again better than before. Nitrous is a cheap way to gain horsepower but you have to do it the right way.

Last edited:
wow. thanks man. pretty good insight there. unfortunately i cant sparay no time soon. I just talked with the wife and we have to save every penny for bills,attorney, wedding and shit. priorities come first. damn i hate living out of my parents house. thanks guys for all your input. I learned alot about nitrous i didnt even think of. I'm gonna go with high compression and have CFT tune my car. Its alot cheaper. Even then i cant do it for another month or so.

What compression will you be at when you slap the 2 layer HG in there? mid 11's?

Then what greygoose said is absolutly right. as long as you have a GREAT tune, you shouldn't have any problems.... *hopefully* haha....

well i wish i new. either way i dont think its gonna get me any higher than 12.1. I already tried a compression calculater but its kinda confusing sinse i dont know my piston size. i only know its .020 over. I was just gonna slap a 1 layer and take it to CFT to tune it.

I know Calesta is pretty good with #'s on the calculators, but I guess it's a little different with LS/VTEC's.

not really if i would know my piston size. all i know is that it's .020 over. which by the way how the hell does that read? Is this still considered a 81mm bore? I did a guess etimate it to get me 11.29 something with 3 layer. When i changed to 1 layer it put me close to 12. not quite 12 but 11.9 or so. which is fine with me.

I have a customer with a 205 wheel HP sleeved 84mm motor running 12,8:1 on Toda Bs. The car also has a direct port nitrous setup that we just tuned. High compression loves nitrous, and the thing made 322 whp and 310 lb/ft of torque on a Mustang Dyno. Ignition timing is key for survival.

A thicker headgasket will move the head further from the block, thus reducing the effectiveness of the quench areas. This will make the car more detonation prone as the combustion chamber won't be as efficient. I wouldn't do it!

Back