How much pain can you take...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
i think when they make razors they like magically make them attracted to fingers or some shit.

They also connect them to the mind of the user. I never, ever cut myself unless I think about not cutting myself. I can happily slice away all day injury free, but as soon as I start thinking about razor safety, getting cut, avoiding getting cut, anything at all... I slice myself within minutes. :p

Nothing quite as serious as getting my back snapped in half (holy shit Micah), or having my toe torn off (Ouch, Air). But rather I've dealt with that nagging, persistent pain a couple of times.

Firstly, about 7 months ago I messed up my back really bad at work. Was lifting an 80lb bag of potatoes, and apparently went to turn and pulled something. Next morning I wake up, and can't lift my body to get out of bed. I rest, and the next day I feel fine. I return to work.
Wrong. After about an hour of work I have a stabbing cramp-like pain the left side of my lower back. I can't even walk straight, and if I stand in one place too long I cramp up. Fuck.
Go to the doctors and they say its just a stretched muscle. 1 week off from work, and I'll be fine. I'm prescribed huge 600mg Ibpreufen(SP?) pills, which should be taken once a day. Additionally I get some 25mg muscle relaxers. Cut in half, they should help me if the pain gets worse. 1 week of school goes by and still no change. I'm streching, walking, and taking my prescribed meds. Turns out, the IB does shit, and the muscle relaxers are too low a dose to do anything.
So I take the whole pill. Nothing. Okay, here goes....two pills. I fall asleep for 8 hours. Fuck.
The IB was so inneffective that the only way I could dull the constant pain was to take so much asprin (1000mg every 2 hours) that my ears rang.
This muscle pain effectively ruined my Senior prom, Hot Import Nights, and made me miss 3 weeks of work. It slowly went away, but not without me working 2 months with it still there. I eventually got used it, and it slowly worked itself away. 4 months later.

Okay, not as bad, but pretty gory. I had an ingrown toenail develop about mid-summer (July), and I took the usual steps to cure it without getting wicked invasive. Soaked it, cleaned it bi-daily, and even wore sandals for a week hoping to cure it. Well, go to the docs when it starts getting really bad, and is oozing nasty shit. Out comes Mr. Large-Bore needle, and the infection is drained. I'm put on anti-biotics, and it should go away since its a localized infection. Not really. Hoping it will go away on its own, with helps from the meds, I ignore it and go on with my normal life. It hurts alot, and I work on my feet 95% of the day. Whatever, I suck it up. It bleeds from time to time and also oozes. It soaks my socks, but I clean it up. Whatever, it's healing right?
Well, not really. I deal with it till about 2 weeks into college. I walk alot, and if you ever have been to URI, youll know its all hills. I talk to my regular doctor and he says there's nothing he can do, but he can make an appointment with a podiatrist. Fine.
Uh oh, turns out Harvard Pilgrim doesn't cover this service. The appointment will be a $50 charge, plus whatever else.
Fuck this shit.
After comming home for the weekend I set myself up in my bathroom with some sterilized tweezers, some cotton balls and an Exacto knife. Here we go. After cutting away the corner of the nail sitting underneath the scab it had produced, I managed to find what was causing the problem. Sliver of a nail digging right into my toe. I grab it with the tweezers and take it out. My toe bleeds like a motherfucker for about 15 minutes, but doesn't hurt anymore. Could it be?
About a day goes by, and after cleaning it the problem has seemed to go away. The swelling is gone, and I can walk in full stride. Cancelled the appointment a day later. Been fine since.

Sorry bout the long-ass post, but it needed to be said.

I'm 19. All my injuries have been crazy childhood injuries, but I've been through a lot. First week after I learned how to ride a bike without training wheels (I was almost 5), my neighbor and I took our bikes to the dirt bike track a block away. Rode a couple hills, then I decided to jump the steepest one, which I did not know was a step-up jump. Racked myself so hard, I had a bit of blood on my leg when I limped home. Same as Senate, I've gotten many new pedals and rode them without filing. Come to think about it, I've only filed maybe 2 or 3 sets of my pedals. I still have claw marks in my shins, calves, and Achilles tendons. In 6th grade, I fell out of a tree during church about 12-15 feet up, with my right hand extended straight out to break my fall. Both bones got shattered in about 5 or 6 different places, I had a concussion, so I don't remember the rest of the day. I was completely healed 3 weeks later. In 8th grade, I crashed on my bike on the street going over 35. When I came to, I could see skin particles and blood trails for around 40 or 50'. I'd had boxer's fractures in both hands by the age of 11 while I was in Taekwon-Do. Since then, my knuckles have toughened up quite a bit. I got my wisdom teeth pulled last year, and the medication REALLY f'd me up. I had some sort of reaction to it. I went upstairs for a drink of water (I had been hydrating A LOT, so I know I wasn't dehydrated), but ended up passing out for like 5 minutes. My mom and sister were the only ones home, so they went nuts. I spent the rest of the day in the hospital. I've been kicked full force in the mouth several times during soccer with a mouth full of braces. Spat chopped up skin and blood for like 2 hours each time. I think I've had something like 4 or 5 concussions total, but they've all been pretty mild.

But now that I look back, I am amazed that I haven't died. Obstacle courses on top of swingsets, chainlink fences, rooftops. I remember at our old church (I was under 4 years old), me and my best friend (still to this day) climbed 2 stories straight up the outside wall, on some bricks that jutted out about 1/4".

Airjockie, have you seen a Chiropractor? I had a compressed vertebrae in my upper back, and that did WONDERS.

Wow EG, I forgot about those :) I've had almost those exact two problems, just to a lesser extent, which I guess is why I didn't think of them when trying to think about my worst pain ever.

I hurt my back muscles in almost the same way as you, but I did it by trying to put 400lbs on my shoulders on a calf machine. :p When I was a freshman in high school. When I was about 5'5" and weighed about 98lbs (I'm only 6'0" 121lbs now). A tad too much weight for my back at the time. I actually lifted it and took it ok at first, but I really wrenched something when I tried to shift the weight a little to get more comfortable. I had the same stretched muscle problem, but it was the entire muscle that goes right along your spine on the right hand side; from the base of my neck to the top of my tailbone. I don't think it was as severe as yours, though. Basically it hurt enough that I couldn't ever forget about it. I had it for about 13 months, too.

Worst back injury I ever had:

I used to work at a wholesale place that sold horse/cow feed.. dog food, fish food, bird food, you get the idea. I could actually pick up and walk around with 6 50lb bags of dog food at a time and did pretty often. But one day I was "pulling" an order and needed 24 cans of cat food. The little cans. They came 24 to a case, So without thinking about it, I bent kinda sideways over a rail, grabbed the cat food (maybe 6 pounds??) and lifted it. Pain immediately shot through my back and I was down for 3 days. I didn't go to the hospital or anything, but I immagine it was just a pulled muscle. Hurt pretty bad though. 300 pounds all day, but 6 pounds PWNT me. :dunno: Its all in how you lift.

One of my old highschool teachers just tore his left Deltoid completely off the bone lifting a 12-pack of Gatorade. :blink: Go figure.

My most painfull event would have to be when I broke my ankle. I jumped up playing volleyball came down on this other kids foot rolled my ankle to the point it broke.

In all I have broken my right arm once, left arm twice, leg once, finger once, ankle once and my sternum(sp) pops every now and then because of my collar bone shifting up. One of the times I broke my arm I reset it my self that hurt pretty bad too.

Oh yeah, I also have about a 9 inch scar on my stomach from running into a barbed wire fence (it was about 2 in the morning in BFE) It punchured me right below my ribs I pushed off the fence and the barb held on.

Some of you guys have been through some way crazy shit!

I know you probably don't care for my solution...but marijuana has a tendacy to help pain that no other medicines can. You should at least try it and see if it helps, because if so, you could get into a program for pot pills. They just contain tetrahydrocanibinol (sp?) and 1 other canibinoid (not sure which) and they don't get you high. Just thought I'd throw it out there for you.

Quoted post[/post]]
Oh yeah, I also have about a 9 inch scar on my stomach from running into a barbed wire fence (it was about 2 in the morning in BFE) It punchured me right below my ribs I pushed off the fence and the barb held on.

A kid in my high school disappeared for 3 days. When they found him, they found that he had crashed his dirt bike. Apparently, he jumped something, lost control, and landed on a barbed wire fence, and slid down it. It chopped his neck, one barb at a time from front to back, and stopped on the spine.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

A kid in my high school disappeared for 3 days. When they found him, they found that he had crashed his dirt bike. Apparently, he jumped something, lost control, and landed on a barbed wire fence, and slid down it. It chopped his neck, one barb at a time from front to back, and stopped on the spine.

OH FUCK! :eek:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

thats sick. yea a friend back in high school went on vacation for a week, but didn't come back until like two weeks later. apparently on one of the last days up in montana he was driving in the mountains, going up around a curveto the left, so he was on the outside. a car came around the curve the opposite way, but made the turn wide, and hit him, knocking him off a cliff and down a few hundred feet. he was found by some hikers like three days later. he was knocked out for the whole time until they woke him up. wierd shit.

airjockie, you should definitely see a chiropracter if you haven't already. sounds like a vertabral subluxation, or a compressed disc.

hmmm...... my worst pain. i think it would be a toss-up between cracked ribs or f'ed up shoulder.
when i was in 9th grade, we went on a band trip to south padre island, and we were screwing around in a souvenier shop, and this on kid (he was about 230 lbs or so) was crouched like jog-running lookin behind himself, and i was looking to my left at some stupid junk hangin on the wall. anyway, imagine me heading east, and him heading north; i was walking casually, and he was moving swiftly; then, he collided into me when i was about 1 ft from a metal clothes rack. i fell into one of the metal bars you hang clothes on, and it fucked up my ribs. i couldn't breathe for like 5 sec after it happened, then i had to breath shallow for like an hour. since it was a band trip, and i was 1st trumpet, i had to play a big solo the next day. that hurt like shit, and i thought i was gonna pass-out after i was finished, but i didn't. to this day (i'm 20 now), i can't lay on my left side on the floor or any hard surface.
now, for the shoulder. i was doin donuts on a 4 wheeler on a dry day, and a tire caught and it flipped and sent me flying through the air about 12 ft. i landed on my left side super man style. then, i got up and flipped the 4 wheeler, cuz gas was leaking out of the tank. i took like 6 extra strengt ibuprofen, and i was still in agony the whole rest of the day, and i had a bad ache for like 3 weeks after that. that was the summer before my freshman year in high school.

just tellin those stories makes my ribs and shoulder uncomfortable.

oh yeah, some other pain now: 1. i got hit in the face with a golf club and it hit just right to cut through my lebret; if my teeth hadn't been so sore, i coulda probably put a barbell through it. 2. about a month ago, i tasted some pink champagne (i have a liver disease, where my immune system is attacking and killing my liver), and about an hour later my liver hurt, and it felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach. 3. fell out of a red wagon my bro was pulling with his bike, and skinned my knee about a 3 in. by 4 in. patch, but i was only 6, so it was like half my knee. 4. when i was real little, like 4 or 5, i used to fall on my face alot and bloody my nose.
that's pretty much all the note-able stuff

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

my cousin was drunk and ran threw a sliding glass window. well, halfway. stopped on this abdomin. he got hundreds of stitches from his one side to the other.

but now to me. never broken a bone worth fixing in a hospital. never got a cut to bad that it absolutely needed stitches. i like to injure things that never go back to normal.

between hockey from age 7-19 and football for about the same time i have recieved tons of concussions. i like to lead with my head. most fairly mild. never went to the hospital for any but they were the ones that i took the hit, got up, then tried to walk/skate away and fell down for a few minutes.

freshman year i tackled a kid right before the endzone. the hit torn my left hamstring and severly strained the right one. he didnt get in though.

sophmore year i was wrestling in a tournament. in the semi-finals i got picked up and slammed on my left shoulder. i disslocated it and damaged tissue and cartilauge. left in an ambulance.

junior year i didnt do anything wrong. saved it up for senior year. lifting for football i tried squating 575(did 550 right before), my muscles handled the weight but i felt my back and kness compress and fuck themselves up. couldnt work out/move right for a week. quit football but for other reasons. wrestling started off ok until i developed hypoglycemia and kept passing out at practice and whatever. then wrestling our rival school i was beating on this kid pretty good. i got in the top position and tried to throw in my left leg. he right angled it at the knee. i finished the match but lost because i could barely stand. because i was a senior athlete i was a stubborn asshole and didnt get it looked at until i could barely stand when i was doing nothing. i had a torn MCL, damaged meniscus, and damaged cartolauge. now when it rains i have trouble walking and my shoulders lock up. but my pain tolerance is very high because of all of it.

Jockey, when was the last time you did any stomach strengthening excercise? After years of skateboarding and BMX, I too constantly had back pains when I quit. Come to find out that when you have weak stomach muscles it causes strain on the back, since this is the area that supports the majority of your weight it becomes strained if one side has to take up the slack, especially if you have a beer gut.

Shot 3 times, stabbed once, four root canals, two inch thick pieces of 8x4 dropped on my head, two broken feet, one rib and a finger, and some other stuff. My tolerance for pain borders on inhuman.

Quoted post[/post]]
Shot 3 times, stabbed once, four root canals, two inch thick pieces of 8x4 dropped on my head, two broken feet, one rib and a finger, and some other stuff. My tolerance for pain borders on inhuman.

I'mma start callin' you 30 cent. You have to be shot like 6 more times to get "50 cent" status.

Maybe you could dress up in red and blue, slap on a raiders jacket and go walking through the ghettos of LA and detroit. You should rack up the other 6 in no time.

I have a friend who has been shot 3 seperate times.. That fucker is always at the wrong place at the wrong time... NONE of those bullets were meant for him.

One of my good friends has a 1"x1" scar on his throat from a barbed wire fence. He grew up in New Mexico, and he and his cousins used to roll down a hill in a tire and "catch" eachother before they hit the fence. Well, they missed once and he went headfirst into the barbed wire.

To answer the question, I'm a sissy, I have a low threshold for pain. Although, when I'm pissed and the adrenaline from the anger kicks in, I become freakily unstoppable.

If you're open to suggestions about your back pain, I would certainly suggest losing the excess fat around your midsection. You don't have to have a six pack but having any beer gut at all is going to negatively effect your lower back. You say that you don't have too big of a beer gut, which may be a relative term since I have no idea how big your belly is, but you have to understand that extra weight in the midsection is going to throw your balance out of whack. Soon the weight starts pulling forward and your lower back begins to compress, its extremely painful as well as hard on the spine. Think of a pregnant women here, almost all pregnant women in the third trimester will have back pain thats extremely painful; its comparable to the negative effects of a beer gut.

Now that we have that covered, begin to weight train your abdomen and your lower back. If you're willing to put in the effort, I GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL ATLEAST FEEL BETTER TO A DEGREE; the weight training cannot hurt. Just be 100% certain to work the lower back and abdomen equally because they're complimenting muscles, one pushes and the other pulls against one another and you definately do not want to become unbalanced.

Lastly, stretch.

Will this solution completely solve your back problem? Possibly. Will it help your back problem? Absolutely, so its worth a shot.

Quoted post[/post]]
The best part about pain is...it lets you know that you are still alive

I heard that once.. from a movie somewhere, I don't remember. I like it.

Oh, and when I had my wisdom teeth pulled and 11 cavities filled, I didn't take any meds afterwards.. I don't medicate unless its antibiotics or a fever.. I hate fevers more than I hate medication.
Without pain, you would not be able to identify pleasure.

Life needs its ups and downs. I believe man is driven on hope and in order to understand hope, one must understand what it is like to be at the bottom of the barrel and then climb to the top.

For the record, I love that quote that you posted.

Quoted post[/post]]
Two years ago, I went into the hospital for a cough, skip foward through a stroke, clinical death, heart transplant, cancer, and we come to the annual biopsys where they check the right side of my heart. While awake, they enter my femoral artery (at your groin) and pass this water-hose type instrument up your body to your hear where a grappeling hook type instrument claws off a small chunk of tissue from your heart. So far, It's on my top ten of pains...

Perhaps the worst pain was when my mother told me she had wished I had died, or maybe i'd just make her life easier and kill myslef...that hurt.

You are an inspiration. Strangely enough, thinking about people such as yourself that have been through what can only be referred to as hell and back, makes me become watery eyed and rekindles my hope that there are truly strong and great people out there in the world.

Its an absolute shame that a loved one could be so selfish to only think of their pain, when a man such as yourself has suffered so greatly. Thats plain cold hearted. I would have done one of two things had I been put in this situation, 1) crumbled and withered away into nothing and ceased to exist or 2) become so motivated by rage that I strived to be the best that I could be. It appears as if you took the road less taken. :worthy:

Yea i'm really hoping seperated muscles in the back hurts more than wisdom teeth.
Mine are growing in again (tops been in for years, bottoms still have a lil way to go).. and they crowded my teeth and brokeded one of my teeth :cry:
It doesn't hurt, but i hope it hurts less than when i separated 3 muscles in my back at the same time.
I kept trying to laugh, and i could barelYYY breathe without leaning hard left and wanting to stab someone in the face.
I lift 20-50,000lbs a day at work, but i pulled my muscle doing 40lbs between two people (19 ft pcs)..
it hurt in a strange "boy oh boy, i'm pretty sure that wasn't good" way.. the kind where you pretend it's ok..
so i lifted again.. and i fell down and started laughing.. then leaning,.. then i had to go to Concentra.
I apparently separated 3 muscles and sprained 2 or somethin like that.. it STILL hurts, no where near as bad... but i refuse to go back to "physical therapy" aka "fuck you up more since we don't REALLY care what's wrong in the first place"
But i did get some muscle relaxers and the typical 800MG ibups.
I was supposed to only get 3 muscle relaxers.. but i talked the lady into.. "oh i thought it said 30" .. so i think i still have like 4 left :)

broken nose, broken pinky, torn shoulder ligament, snapped three front teeth with a jack handle, removed 2 finger tips (flesh only) with a 25 lb weight, but the messiest was when i put a standard screwdriver THROUGH my ring finger fingernail...

Back