HOW TO: change a distributor o-ring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

no.. you need to remove the distributor ..

If I had a dollar for everytime I had a distributor go bad on my B series....
I'd have at least 5 dollars.

god I hated those things, biggest pieces of shit ever. Good luck with your new one, knock on wood, you WILL need the luck.

P.S I fail for not reading that it was an O ring only install and not a full distributor swap.

my bad.

Last edited:
This was an awesome thread and has given me some confidence to do this to my own '92 Honda Accord. Might I ask what year the Honda in this thread is?

I have '95 Accord and has the oil leak from the distributor. They are asking me $149 to replace o'ring. I think I should try what you have suggested in this thread. It looks like about 30 minutes job.

I just replaced my leaky and brittle o-ring. I marked the distributor with respect to the engine and put it back on. But now in idle I get an intermittent knocking sound. The part is aligned with my mark. Any ideas what else could be wrong? I'll check the wiring more closely tomorrow when the sun's back up.

Hey i know you changed your o rings out a long time ago. But do you remember anything about setting the #1 cylinder at TDC (Top Dead Center). or did you just do exactly how you said you did it?

did it exactly how i showed.. no need to mess w/ TDC.. just line the dizzy back up where it was before

Alright things bro, I dont know why i keep hearing about the cylinder being at TDC. Do you know why at all?

Also when you say reverse steps are you still putting on the bolt thats closest to the firewall first or the top bolt first then the one near the front end and then the firewall? thanks

you can turn the distributor input as much as you want. you cannot mess up the timing. the cam carries the timing the distributor will only go back on one way easily...if you have it right then you will experience nothing different. you also don't have to put the bolts back in, in any certain fashion...just get them back on.

Thanks bro, changed that o ring out as well as the vtec upper and lower gasket. I have'nt had any leaks yet so hopefully it stays that way.

I don't see where the o ring is... Anyone have a photo of where the o ring goes?
(I have a leak, the part, just pull the dist off and I'll see it?)

Back