Hrmm Can't Decide....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cjvictoria

What do I want to go to college for? I am having trouble answering this question.

I'm just interested in too many things... and they all happen to be programs which are highly respected throughout the nation.

FCCJ Programs of Study

That's the link to the programs of study at Florida Community College at Jax...

I know there's others who had the same struggle.. I want to see what factors you considered when choosing a program.

Maybe it's a good thing I'm only just now coming about this college idea... Since the economy is failing in certain areas, and knowing what those areas are, I can pick the one which will be most beneficial...

I hope..

i went in undeclared, changed to history... typed so many damn papers that i got good at computers, switched to computers...

you'll find something to fall into. just go.

That actually sounds like an ok idea... The three areas I'm in between are Computer Science, Digital Media shit, and something else i cant quite remember right now... I guess the third one isn't so important.

So going in undecided isn't that big of a deal? I really don't know what I want to do, I'm into computers, cars, photography, mechanical stuff, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Well, those are all personal interests. At that, you'll find your personal interests aren't remotely similar usually to your job interests. You have to get a feel for the work that could come from the schooling. Me, I'm a big arguer, if I had .02 cents I'd take the L-SAT and start applying for school, but I don't feel that I'd like the work involved with doing so.

I'm a people person. I have a lot of interests in technology, cars, etc, but it all boils down to, what will I be able to do for 40-50 hours a week and not hate. And for me, its the physical part that comes from doing construction. I'd like to not do physical labor after lets say age 35, but before that, I have no qualms with getting my hands dirty until then.

just get into the school and start going. that's half the battle of education, getting off your ass and going.

start with your general ed classes. math, english, etc.

the key to finding a job you want....do internships. get into the workforce and experience it. see if you actually like it. plus you get school credits for it.

also, the only career field pretty much guaranteed recession proof is the medical industry. there will always be sick people.

everything else is a crapshoot. and if you can predict the future job industry, you can do a lot more than school will provide.

go and start to get the general ed. classes out of the way .. gives you time to make your decision

All in all, going in undeclared isn't necessarily a bad thing... however, if I had to put any one reason on why i didn't finish my degree, that would be it.

At the end of the day, you gotta make up your mind FAST, or you're going to be there an extra year.

General ed or not, most majors require different certain general ed credits.
And then, if the school isn't huge, chances are they only offer CS 1 in the fall and CS 2 in the spring... so if you declare in the spring, you can't take CS1 until the following fall, which effectively puts you a whole year behind due to pre-requisites, etc. This probably isn't such a huge deal for non-technical majors (english, etc)... but technical majors have a pretty set feature set.
I declared Information Technology with a concentration in graphics and multimedia in the spring of my sophmore year (end of 3rd -> 4th semester). i effectively was now 2 years behind because the classes i needed to take in the spring were only offered in the fall. Junior year, i was effectively a freshman again.
and that was the last semester i completed.

I was completely discouraged that i had wasted 2 years of my life and was going to be stuck in school for 4 more years at this point. I just stopped going to class my 2nd semester junior year... pretty much just lived at school.... and built east coast del sol in my boring spare time.... which eventually turned into hondaswap.... and here we are.

If i didn't fuck up, hondaswap might not have ever existed.

So, i don't have a degree... but i think i've done pretty well for myself without it.

I looked into finishing it up... taking some online classes etc... but it's justs crazy stupid expensive (350 a credit = 1000 a class) and i need like 45 credits. so, yeah, fuck that. it's so not worth it. I'm the senior developer at my firm, and i'm a college drop out. It's not what you went to school for... it's what you can show someone what you've done/are capable of doing.

also, the only career field pretty much guaranteed recession proof is the medical industry. there will always be sick people.

everything else is a crapshoot. and if you can predict the future job industry, you can do a lot more than school will provide.

you forgot lawyers.

:) people will always sue.

he's only going to a community college

if you plan on going to a 4 year school later, you can pretty much get away with only doing your general classes. but i would try to pick something your first semester there.

what made you want to go to school?

in for my .02
its important to choose pretty early on
i did 2 community college and 2 at a 4 year school
i knew my major going in and started accounting classes my first semester in

if you're planning to transfer look into the transfer programs
the 4 year schools work with the CC's to make sure you get all the credits you need to make sure you start your first year at the 4year school as a junior and don't have any wasted credits that won't transfer to your major, etc

At this point I'm reaching for a goal of 15 credits minimum, so there will be no question of whether I qualify for the Navy.... They give us High School dropout GED graduates a hard fucking time. They say it's tough to get a GED into the Navy, but with 15 credits they would see my GED and the college cred combined as a HS diploma pretty much. Plus they can start me at a higher pay rate... Which is... nice.

Definitely work on some of your gen ed requirements and take some elective courses in areas that you think you may have an interest in. It will give you a decent idea of the subject while earning you credits you need anyway. It some cases you may find that it really helps...or it makes it more confusing. But if you like multiple things, like I did, you can always have a double major or a minor. :)

I grew up thinking I would go into veterinary medicine, but by the time I graduated high school, I changed to computer science (became CCNA certified while still in HS), then switched to sign language/interpreting while at my junior college. By the time I finished there I no longer wanted to go into interpreting and then changed to mechanical engineering... I decided I wanted to deal more with people and finally settled on Human Development and Sociology (I graduate this semester). Phew! What a mouthful that was (I know I set myself up for word twisting here, but please refrain. lol).

nice avatar :thumbsup:
werd thanks lol

i really liked that one lol

Definitely work on some of your gen ed requirements and take some elective courses in areas that you think you may have an interest in. It will give you a decent idea of the subject while earning you credits you need anyway. It some cases you may find that it really helps...or it makes it more confusing. But if you like multiple things, like I did, you can always have a double major or a minor. :)

I grew up thinking I would go into veterinary medicine, but by the time I graduated high school, I changed to computer science (became CCNA certified while still in HS), then switched to sign language/interpreting while at my junior college. By the time I finished there I no longer wanted to go into interpreting and then changed to mechanical engineering... I decided I wanted to deal more with people and finally settled on Human Development and Sociology (I graduate this semester). Phew! What a mouthful that was (I know I set myself up for word twisting here, but please refrain. lol).

With the gen ed stuff... I pretty much dont have to do any .. Except for two of the advanced classes.. I did really good on the CPT. Both of those classes are in English related crap, which is like my kryptonite. But being more motivated now than I was in HS, I know I can handle it.

I'm thinking that maybe I'm gonna lean toward the computer science/electronics engineering now that I've got the thrill of modding some stuff in the last few days.. It's like I'm not really even motivated though, just purely driven, like I don't have a choice lol. That's probably gonna be my best bet for a major if I choose to declare right off the bat.

And hold up....... you're the chick with the r6, correct?
ah shit my bad it says that under your avatar lol

Last edited:
my suggestion, my sure you are focused in something....

examples...
finance>business administration
genetic engineering>biology
web design>computer science

these are just examples, so don't focus on content. just be sure you are really good at something rather than having a broad spectrum.

With the gen ed stuff... I pretty much dont have to do any .. Except for two of the advanced classes.. I did really good on the CPT. Both of those classes are in English related crap, which is like my kryptonite. But being more motivated now than I was in HS, I know I can handle it.

I'm thinking that maybe I'm gonna lean toward the computer science/electronics engineering now that I've got the thrill of modding some stuff in the last few days.. It's like I'm not really even motivated though, just purely driven, like I don't have a choice lol. That's probably gonna be my best bet for a major if I choose to declare right off the bat.

And hold up....... you're the chick with the r6, correct?
ah shit my bad it says that under your avatar lol

You usually have to take some gen ed elective-type classes (to show that you're academically well balanced)... In all honesty, my advice is to go see a counselor about your dilemma. That's what they're there for. Sometimes they have questionnaires that help you to visualize the areas that interest you the most/ares that you excel in.

Also, don't be afraid to remain "undeclared" for the first year. Just try taking classes that focus in a direction you think you'll enjoy and if you really do, declare your major then. There is no sense in committing to something early that you have no idea if you'll like it or if it'll hold your interest enough for you to do well in it, just to change your major later and have that time/money/credits be for nothing.

And yes, I'm "the chick with the R6". Is that a good or a bad thing? :laughing1:

Back