I Am A Dummy, I Hydrolocked My Engine....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Liquidblaze

Well we had rain yesterday and winds about 55 mph. We started to flood and I was at work so I was going to drive through this puddle. Well I didn't know how deep it was and I drove through it full throttle. Water got sucked up into my aem intake and hydrolocked my engine. I broke two rods and shattered my main bearing housing and chipped the block. Mind you, my engine had 117,000 miles on it. I didn't have the money for any special swap so i found a D16Y7 to replace my D16 with 48,000 miles on it and a 90 day warranty. It came with an intake manifold, exhaust manifold, distributor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, throttle body, fuel injectors, fuel rail, and entire engine wiring harness for $400. I will post pics soon.

My old motor i am parting out the good parts. The crank is fine, so is the, old harness (obd2), intake manifold, exhaust manifold, fuel rail, injectors, fpr, head, valves and valve springs, cam, rocker arms, and I took out my a/c because I am putting in a turbo. So if you want an entire a/c system too let me know. I have all the piping, compressor, a/c condensor, but i didn't take my dash out of the evap core.

Let me know if anyone wants this stuff i will sell it for pretty cheap just let me know and make me an offer.

I have the knew engine in, it took six hours for me and my two friends to put it in. I did it all at Dodge where i work so we had the lift and all the tools necessary.

I thought i would just let everyone know whats up.

-Chris

damn that sucks you hydrolocked your motor. for $400 for that engine you bought...thats pretty cheap. they didnt have a D16y8 available where you got your engine from???

Ouch. I'm glad you got it running again so quick!

Was your old engine a Y8 or Y7? I might be interested in the intake manifold if it was a Y8.

damn, first chet, now you.

BUY AN ICE BOX already all you people. at least get the breater for the aem/iceman

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@May 8 2003, 12:04 PM
they didnt have a D16y8 available where you got your engine from???

I didn't want the Y8 because I am funny like that. I don't care much for vtec. I got the engine from Barber's Auto Sales in Ardmore, Alabama.

Barber's Auto Sales Inc
29290 Mangum Drive, Ardmore, AL 35739
(256) 423-7565

This place was awesome. When I went to pick up the engine I went to the back and they had almost every engine you could want. When I get the money up I am going to buy another engine from them. They also had every wheel you could think of in there that came from the factory. They don't just do import they are also domestic. They also do parts so if you need a part they could probably get it for you.

Celesta, it is a D16Y7. So i don't think thats the manifold you want but I have the manifold for the Y7 if you want it.

As soon as I get my safc I will be putting my turbo on so no more AEM.

Originally posted by Liquidblaze@May 8 2003, 01:33 PM
Celesta, it is a D16Y7. So i don't think thats the manifold you want but I have the manifold for the Y7 if you want it.

2 a's, not 2 e's. :)

I need the Y8 manifold for a mini-me build. Don't worry about it though- I was just curious. I don't have the money for it right now anyway.

Originally posted by Calesta+May 8 2003, 01:35 PM-->
Liquidblaze
@May 8 2003, 01:33 PM

I need the Y8 manifold for a mini-me build. Don't worry about it though- I was just curious. I don't have the money for it right now anyway.

Sorry for the misspelling.

Originally posted by Liquidblaze+May 8 2003, 01:36 PM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@May 8 2003, 01:35 PM
Liquidblaze
@May 8 2003, 01:33 PM

Sorry for the misspelling.

damn what is it with you people and running through puddles? :lol: j/p. nah, im not bashig on ya dude it sucks, but this is the third threat about someone hydrolocking an engine that ive seen in like 2 weeks. lol, but anyway, i hope everything works out good with your new motor.

Almost killed my motor too. Drove to a havy ass storm in the hightway with my cai. I was wondering why the car behind me kept high beaming me. So when i got home, all that came out of my tail pipe was white smoke. Smoke just wouldn't stop coming out, so I said what the hell, just shut off the motor and if it wouldn't start, time for a new motor. Well, no more smoke but motor burns a lot of oil though. See no smoke when normal driving, but when I'm racing it, looks like I fell out of the sky! :lol:

By the way, I have a D16y7 too. I did 16.3 in my 96 4dr with all or most of the bolt-on's.

Originally posted by BlackJDMdeath@May 8 2003, 12:31 PM
yea well um, i have a short ram intake :)

:werd: :withstupid:

I've got a filter on a stick too, but I'm probably going to a CAI pretty soon. I'll definitely be getting a bypass valve though.

This is my Intake. AEM calls it a CAI but it seems to me to be a short ram. I know technically AEM doesn't make a CAI for my car. The engine bay looks alot better now, this was taken a while back.

s3e2f095df1253.jpg

Originally posted by Liquidblaze@May 8 2003, 03:18 PM
This is my Intake. AEM calls it a CAI but it seems to me to be a short ram. I know technically AEM doesn't make a CAI for my car. The engine bay looks alot better now, this was taken a while back.

s3e2f095df1253.jpg

I just saw one on a hatch at Pann Auto last weekend. It looked just like that, but the filter was inside the fenderwell. That would make it a CAI, right? :huh:

Originally posted by Liquidblaze@May 8 2003, 03:18 PM

s3e2f095df1253.jpg

i dont understand how water (or enough to hydrolock an engine) could get in there.... :blink:

Originally posted by Liquidblaze@May 8 2003, 12:18 PM
s3e2f095df1253.jpg

dude that scares me because we have been having a lot of storms latly, and that is basicly where my filter sits, I have a home made short ram....

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@May 8 2003, 08:52 PM
that header looks like its been through hell and back...

looks like he painted it with regular latex paint and not high temp paint

Back