I am lucky I didnt get seriously hurt or even wors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

No... You need a blue standard cab 5 speed 1500... Like that one guy there making 500+whp on that turbo setup... :eek: FAPPITY FAPPITY FAP FAP FAP

Glad to hear your alright, hopefully they'll total it. Pics? I could tell you if it's going to be totalled

its totaled. Frame bent AND split? Major damage to three or more body panels, Axle torn from the vehicle? Oh, its totaled...

Glad you're okay. Surprised no attorneys have called you.

Hopefully the other fella was insured. Since you went to the e/r you've got a legitamate bodily injury or uninsured motorist bodily injury claim. For having to spend 3 hrs strapped to a backboard, the trauma of the crash itself and the significance of the damage, I'd say about $700-$1,000 plus your meds would be conservative. Admittedly, I know nothing about CT claims so that could be way outta line. That's what I'd pay for a similar claim in the midwest.

As a matter of fact, I settled a claim this morning for $9,000 plus the meds for a girl that wasn't hurt much more than you. However, her car rolled over 3 or more times and hit three other cars in the process. She spent 3 hrs trapped in the car. When they finally got her out she tried to walk to the ambulance but they wouldn't let her. After a head-to-toe CT scan she did walk out of the e/r.

The truck is being sent to coparts sight unseen and I was told to pick up my plates eventhough the adjuster hasn't seen it yet. I am praying its totalled. I should have the pics tomorrow.
I have a questions for anyone who has been through a totalled car before. How do I get the most for amount of $$$ for my truck? How can I make sure the offer they make is a good offer? My insurance company is going to pay the claim now less the deductable then get it from the other partys insurance company. Also, how do I go about making a claim to get some $$$ for the trauma and having to go to the hospital? I hope the kid that hit me has insurance.

call a blood sucker (lawyer)

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an insurance adjuster I can tell you that you do NOT want a lawyer for this. He/She would send a couple of letters, gather your meds and then collect 1/3 of what YOU are entitled to. The seriously injured in the other car probably need an attorney to negotiate what they owe to the hospitals and doctors. Your injuries aren't catastrophic, so you would do MUCH bettter on your own.

The problem is going to be that the other fella probably doesn't have enough insurance. Unless there is an exclusion, the people in his car have a claim against him too. If he has minimum limits and there injuries are as bad as you have indicated, the insurance company CAN'T settle your minor claim until the others have resolved. In the case that he has coverage, you can't file a UMBI claim while you wait on the others to settle.

Don't look for a quick buck and don't get impatient thinking an attorney can get it for you any faster. It will actually be better for you in the long run if he isn't insured. Your UMBI coverage would kick in immediately and they don't have to worry about those other folks. If you don't have UMBI then you may have a problem. That or a VERY long wait. You have 2 years to settle your claim or else you HAVE TO file suit. Based on what you've said thus far, it should not take that long.

Knowing only what you've posted, I would offer you $700 for your pain & suffering plus the money to pay the doctors/hospital. If the damage is as bad as you have posted & I had good, clear pictures I would offer you no more than $1,500 + meds. But that's based on what you've posted. No matter what their first offer is, ask the adjuster if he/she has seen the photographs of your truck. Express that you are lucky to be alive.

Most attorneys ask for 3 times whatever the medical bills are. That's a lazy way of coming up with a value and it has no basis in logic. Nonetheless, make that your first offer to the insurance company i.e. if your hospital bill is $3,000, ask for $9,000 as a total settlement. Then be prepared to negotiate. You ought to have practice after settling your total loss.

Come up with a figure you're content with and work to that. Don't be unreasonable & don't think that threatening the insurance company that you are going to hire an attorney will have any effect. We find that more amusing than anything else.

As for the value of the vehicle... there are numerous threads on the board already about evaluating a total loss. All I can say is good luck. Look up your truck's value online at KBB.com or NADA.com. Things like maintenance, customizations, aftermarket stereos, etx, have little to no bearing on the actual cash value of the vehicle. Look at the newspaper for similar trucks. Call the lienholder and ask for a 10 day payoff. That way you know how much of the offer goes to them and how much you'll get. In addition to the vehicle's value you will get taxes & fees added in. Come up with a walk away figure after the lienholder is paid that you are happy with and work to that number. If the nada is $15000 don't start asking for $16000. Be reasonable, firm, CALM, courteous & POLITE. If you get close (w/in a few hundred dollars) to what you want but the adjuster won't budge, remember that he/she has a boss that gives them authority to make the offers. Get the boss on the phone. If they won't give in, go to there boss. After that it becomes a letter writing campain. Again, this is only if you're close.

If they are several hundred dollars off your price, one of you has made a mistake. Be prepared to accept that it may be you, the one that doesn't do this for a living. If you're sure its not, ask for that manager and request that they run the numbers again.

let me know if you need any other help!!!

Thanks for the info. I might pm you with more details as I find out more. The mods I have on the truck are a bed liner, soft toneu cover, dynomax dual exhaust, rain guards on the windows and aftermarket leather seats. I can see the bed liner and leather adding some value but how would I be able to try to get alteast something for them.

the system the company will use to get a value is likely called "CCC"
CCC gives a lo, mid & hi value. Ask for a copy of the report. If they didn't offfer you the HI value, argue that they should considering the added parts. If the truck was offered from the factory w/ leather, ask that they use that vehicle rather than your stock value to conduct their search. As for the toneu cover & exhaust.... I dunno dude.

Back in Highschool when a lady totalled my cutlass the insurance company actually gave me more money for having an aftermarket stereo installed because it helped with resale value. I would try to get as much as you can out of the aftermarket products. The items that you listed are pretty common upgrades that most people make.

I am already truck shopping lol. The local GMC stealership will take my truck the way it is and give me fair market value if i sign the insurance check over to them. A relative in the car business said not to go for it, but it seemed like it could be a good offer.
Ill try to have pics tomorrow.

W...O...W man that really sucks. My little sister was in an accident recently when she didn't have time to stop for a red light. She ended up T-Boning this dude in a 80's Ford truck (solid) with my mom's Subaru Forester. It was pretty close to being toalled, but not quite. Just about a week and a half before that, some lady rear ended her in the EF hatch, dented the hatch (liftgate) itself and breaking the glass. The bumper was pushed in a little. The insurance company ended up totalling it :( but we got more money out of it than we paid for it. It was a 91 DX hatch, 80k (original miles) on the odometer, but it was towed behind a trailer by an elderly couple. The motor actually has 30k ORIGINAL miles on it. $1500. What a steal.

Originally posted by Jeef@Nov 30 2004, 11:45 PM
I am already truck shopping lol. The local GMC stealership will take my truck the way it is and give me fair market value if i sign the insurance check over to them. A relative in the car business said not to go for it, but it seemed like it could be a good offer.
Ill try to have pics tomorrow.
[post=424365]Quoted post[/post]​

BAD idea. Fair market value = salvage value or pre-loss value?

Unless they are going to give you a KILLER deal on a new truck that's the last thing you want to do.

You say you're not upside down. If so, let the insurance company pay the lien off and cut you a draft for the equity. Take that & go shopping.

Any word on insurance for the at-fault driver or the car he was driving yet?

Not yet, I tried to find out but the lady in the records dept was a bitch. She wouldn't tell me anything. I did get a letter from the other guys insurance today. I am going to call my adjuster tomorrow and go from there.

Originally posted by ahedau@Dec 1 2004, 05:40 PM
If so, let the insurance company pay the lien off and cut you a draft for the equity. Take that & go shopping.
[post=424735]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

The appraiser looked at the truck today and is most likely going to total it. I'll know tomorrow.
Now for the fun stuff. The other cars insurance company sent me a letter asking for me to call them. I just gave it my insurance my company, and they are going to subprogate (sp) it. They said I can go right through the other company directly if I wanted to. I said to stay with my insurance company. My adjsuter is out until Monday so I will ask him what he thinks. Which company should I go through?
Also I am going to make a claim for medical expenses, and for pain and suffering. I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, was exrayed and released. I paid 50 bucks for a co-pay. My neck was a little sore until Wed night, and this morning I was in a lot of pain. I went to the doctor, $20 co-pay, and was told I have a strained neck and a pinched nerve. My arm is going numb at times. I have a prescription that my insurance won't cover due to being on a similiar medication earlier this year when I hurt my back. I have a work restriction for 2 weeks, which really fucks me over and my co-workers. I can't lift more than 25 pounds, but I work in a paint store alone at times so I can't do a good part of my job. I also have to use some of my vacation time to cover a few missed hours due to not having a ride to work and going to the doctors today.
Any advice on how I should handle this? Should I get a lawyer involved? I jsut don't want to get fucked over in this. I know I won't get rich from this but I want some compensation.

id go through your insurance company. also make sure you have copies of receipts from every doctor visit and every prescription you get filled that way you can get a re-imbursment(sp?).

Back