I hate car shopping (formally vw/volvo thread)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I do not like wagons, but that is a nice wagon.

unfortunately, I'm not sure that one is doable
they would have to take $4000 and getting there would be a problem

Pay a locel member in beer to go check it out, make sure its legit. Buy, fly, have fun with a member, and drive home.

if I could I would. I have $4500 max to spend.
I don't have any more. can't come up with it either.

would love to have the extra cash and time to make it a weekend adventure, but unfortunately that just isn't the case.

After I check and car out and decide I want it, the go to question is, "So what do you really need to have for it?" And that's where I start haggling from.

Example-
List price of $5,000
"What do you really need" price- $4,500
What I would start my offers at- $3,900

...with hopes of landing around $4,200. Just because he "needs" what you have, doesn't mean you can't pay less. He might be in a bind and need cash quick. He may also have built to haggle into his price and be firm at $5k. Only one way to find out.

Who ever says a price first loses.

He already lost by posting 5k.

offer 2900, he'll come down to 4500 offer 3500, he'll come down to 4200, offer 3800..., meet at 4000

Who ever says a price first loses.

He already lost by posting 5k.

offer 2900, he'll come down to 4500 offer 3500, he'll come down to 4200, offer 3800..., meet at 4000
I don't even reply to ads that don't list a price. As a general rule, the seller is out of their mind and want the "KBB Excellent" value, plus $2k for the regular maintenance they waited to do all at once. And there are usually "tricks" to get certain things to work. "I mean, it works, you just gotta do it like this".

I'm actually looking at a new toy this weekend. Listed at $1500. I have zero intentions on paying over $1000 even if it is better than the ad says.

to offer $2900 for an 02 Lexus would be a serious lowball... lol

i paid $5k for my 02 4runner last year and that was a hell of a deal.. appraised at $9.5k

Yeah, it is. but it's a dealer... If they are asking $5k for it, they probably only paid 2k for it.

I called twice today, first the dealership where he was "with another customer" then I got his cell number and left a message there.
just called again and they tried to give me his cell again, I asked why I couldn't just speak to a salesman , kind of odd. but I talked to him, they will not budge on the price at all. asked if I showed up with 4k if they would do a deal, he said no. asked 4500 he said no. they don't go down.

yup. back to the drawing board.
going to change the name of the thread. obviously i wont be buying a vw or volvo now.

will start posting links to cars im considering i guess. and if anybody stumbles across a damn good deal.....

but, god i hate being in a state that allows vehicles to be salvaged or rebuilt. more than half the cars on cl right now are branded.

well, here pops a non wagon is300.
2002 Lexus IS300 Low miles
hesitant bc the engine has been replaced already.
hope he doesnt have some shit shop spray the hood which is what he will most likely do.
might text about it and see if he will hold off on it til i see the car.

2004 Mazda 6
could go from a mazda 3 to 6.... not sure how i feel about these honestly, they're just bland.

Back