I hate car shopping (formally vw/volvo thread)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

havnt ditched it yet.
and not bc i dont like it, i love the car. just need to sell it to pay off a credit card.

they're great cars, if the headgaskets arent an issue.

we sold the wifes car to get rid of the payment.
after we paid it off, we have $4500 left to get another car for her.

i will be selling my car for around $4k+/- most of what i sell my car for will be going to the credit card, will keep about $1k out to find myself some shitty little beater.

if we find her a car for less than $4500 then that will be going towards either the credit card or the small amount left on a personal loan. then, after all is said and done, we only have a $365 mortgage, and $200 worth of monthly utilities to pay. which makes going back to school easier to do.

Lexus got flagged.. someone wants it and doesnt want anyone else to get it... lol

$5 grand for that C-class? Fuck yeah!

The C280 is a decent car. Those engines have some issues with the balance shafts, but at 151k I'd bet that if it was going to happen it's already happened and been fixed with the updated part. Put some non-shitty looking wheels on and lose that tip, and you'll be golden.

Damn decent cars. I bought one of my exes one of those just before the bitch left me a few years back. Wish I'd bought her a shittier car.

That one may need a little touching up here and there, and removal of all that ugly ass chrome shit, but that's essentially the Mercedes equivalent of a 3-series; relatively hard to fuck up. Make sure it doesn't have any check engine lights, and make sure that the readiness monitors are all readied (an indication that no one has cleared the engine lights lately, and that it's gone through a full drive cycle with all emissions systems functioning properly).

Last edited:
Who ever says a price first loses.

He already lost by posting 5k.

offer 2900, he'll come down to 4500 offer 3500, he'll come down to 4200, offer 3800..., meet at 4000

Fail... You forgot the most important step... Getting your expert friend to come check it out.
And you want to use razors endorsed by Rick...

here's the part that has me thinking.
do I spend the full $4500 on a car, or do I find a less good car for 3500 or less and pay off another debt? the wife doesn't really care what kind of car she gets so long as its reliable and safe. I want a good car, but also wouldn't mind paying off the $700 balance on a personal loan.

decisions decisions.

700 loan is nothing... I wouldn't worry about paying that off. that's like 1.5 payments lol

I still can't believe your mortgage.

the cheaper you go, sometimes the reliability goes down with it.

You pretty much can't go wrong with something like a 91 accord. it will run forever. can replace everything for $50 or less. is it 'safe'? not by today's standards of air bags. but no car that isn't MY13 is going to be AS safe.

79a.gif

well, the hunt is over.
bought a 2003 Honda civic 4dr tonight.
has 146k on it, garaged kept, never wrecked, 2 owners in one family, with all service records. cost me 3500, but I feel it was worth it. right up where kbb places it, but the trans and engine are butter smooth.

I'm pretty happy with it.

well, the hunt is over.
bought a 2003 Honda civic 4dr tonight.
has 146k on it, garaged kept, never wrecked, 2 owners in one family, with all service records. cost me 3500, but I feel it was worth it. right up where kbb places it, but the trans and engine are butter smooth.

I'm pretty happy with it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh, and PICS! Since there are so few Hondas left on the site. :D

Three pedal car?

nope, slushbox, wife doesnt drive, nor does she want to drive, a real car.

89,95,03 civics all go for the same price. :D

you know, didnt pay attention to that before, but that is 100% correct. lmao.

really happy with the buy, its a great driving little car. about a 45mile trip home, all interstate speeds, and it handles well at 80-85 mph.

Nice buy. We're gonna ditch the gfs A4 soon. Needs tires, bushings, O2 sensors, passenger side headlight, coolant temp sensor, power steering fluid is seeping, heater core needs to be back flushed or possibly replaced.

Car has served her well though and now that she has a three mile commute I shouldn't have to worry about her wrecking something nicer.

She's one of the worst drivers I've ever known. She's wrecked her parents 70 something Buick four years ago. Side swiped someone in her 05' Elantra 2.5 years ago, totalled the 05' Elantra 2 years ago, and got hit head on in the Audi a year and a half ago while she was sitting in a middle turning lane.

i would say your girl should stick to public buses, but to put all those innocent people in harms way would be an awful thing to do. lol

Nice buy. We're gonna ditch the gfs A4 soon. Needs tires, bushings, O2 sensors, passenger side headlight, coolant temp sensor, power steering fluid is seeping, heater core needs to be back flushed or possibly replaced.

Car has served her well though and now that she has a three mile commute I shouldn't have to worry about her wrecking something nicer.

She's one of the worst drivers I've ever known. She's wrecked her parents 70 something Buick four years ago. Side swiped someone in her 05' Elantra 2.5 years ago, totalled the 05' Elantra 2 years ago, and got hit head on in the Audi a year and a half ago while she was sitting in a middle turning lane.

Ya'll have an a4, the civic and an s4?

Back